Soju

Falling Star

The intoxicating air that came storming out of Ghost Boys mouth made Byeol's eyes water.

"I told you I'm sitting hurrr," Gunwoo was not pointing at Byeol so close that Byeol had to lean back more to avoid him from touching her.

"I... I didn't see you," Byeol's voice began to crack immediately. "I... I thought I was here. By myself. Alone."

"Nuuu," Gunwoo leaned back sloppily and almost lost his footing. "I told you... When you first sat down. I told you. I told you to take that... Take it somewhere else." He pointed at Byeol's food like it was making him nauseous.

Looking down at her left overs she picked a piece up, offering to him, "You want some?"

"Gaww!" Gunwoo covered his nose, "No!"

Byeol quickly examined the table and noticed 3 empty bottles of soju on their sides and one that was right side up with most of the liquor still left. "Maybe you," Byeol wasn't sure if he even knew or remembered her. "Maybe you should eat something. Drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea. At least that's what my mom said."

"Whaat!" Ghost Boy sat back up again, "Is your mom a bartender?" He began to chuckle to himself. "If so, tell me where she works. I need to tell her her daughter is a sloppy eater." Slouching to the side again he began to laugh to himself again.

"No," Byeol squeeked out like a mouse and feeling stupid now.

"You look like someone," Gunwoo's face became pale and his dark circle around his eyes were more visible. "I try," he continued as he grabbed the soju bottle and his shoot glass that was next to it. "I try, to forget you but every time there you are." He began to pour some soju into his glass. 

"What?" Byeol felt a jolt of her nerves fired up, he remembers me? Thinks of me? 

"For a while I thought I was good, I couldn't remember how you looked." Gunwoo looked at her straight into her eyes. "It might be all a dream, but today, it all comes back." With one swift move he threw his head back with the glass of soju and drank it in one shot. After slamming the glass back down her began to pour more soju but most was being spilt on the table. "You scare me..." Gunwoo looked at Byeol again and there it was again, sadness.

Unsure of what to do, Byeol was ready to leave.

"He's drunk," Joon sounded disgusted. He appeared next to her examining the drunk that sat across from Byeol. "He's pathetic, tell him how much people should be scared of the weirdo that always sat in back of the bus."

"What?" Gunwoo leaned in again towards Byeol.

Did he hear Joon?!?

"I didn't say anything!" Byeol's eyes looked at Gunwoo.

"Oh," Gunwoo looked down at his glass of soju. "You talk this time. Each time you just sat there staring at me, like you were going to cry or something."

"Huh?" Byeol didn't know what he was talking about.

"I must be drinking way more than I thought I was, usually you just sit there and stare at me." Gunwoo raised a glass of soju to Byeol, "I wasn't gonna give your book back but I did and everything all came back. It was the worst decision ever."

Byeol remembered that day he gave her library book back to her, before she could say anything Gunwoo waved his hand in front of her.

"You're friends were so annoying. Stupid school girls in the bus, thinking they are so pretty. s. What did you see in them? Or is your life that pathetic you cling to anyone that will talk to you?" Gunwoo's pours to his glass became messier and messier.

"They don't talk to me anymore," Byeol thought about Gina and Soobin. She missed them, kinda but most of the time she missed people talking to her.

"You scared them too?" Gunwoo smiled after asking the question. "I don't have to ask I know the answer." He dropped his head down and began to laugh again. "Ah," he said lazily. "I need more to drink to keep you outta my head," with that he tried to pour the soju but missed completely.

"Geez, he's pathetic," Jin was now sitting next to Ghost Boy nodding his head.

Feeling bad about scaring Ghost Boy, Byeol tried to help him. She grabbed the soju bottle and pour him his drink.

"Wow," Gunwoo's eyes shot up at Byeol. "How... How?" Laughing this time he began to shake his head. "I must be drunk," he slammed another glass of soju. "You've never done that before but I think I prefer this you." Laughing almost hysterically, he waved the waitress over, "Hey, I need another glass for my friend her!" Waving his hand towards Byeol.

"Ah," Byeol felt nervous again. "No," she began waving at the old lady working. "No, I don't drink."

"Nah," Gunwoo pulled money out of his pocket, "More auntie! More!" 

The old lady was smiling looking at the two and handed Byeol a glass.

Byeol looked down at the glass and placed it on the table. That's when the splashes of soju began. 

"Drink!" Gunwoo said half yelling and singing. "Drink!" His smile was something close to what she picture the cat from Alice in Wonderland looked like. 

Byeol had never drank before, but she felt obligated to try. Slowly putting the glass to , she quickly poured it all into before she could even swallow the liquor it began to burn and out it went. She spit the soju out landing on Ghost Boy!

Gunwoo's reaction was slow but he knew he was covered with something wet. Looking down at his clothing he tried to make sense of what just happened. The girl infront of him was covering and she was saying something but it all sounded like mumbling.

"I'm... I'm... It was awful and... I... I couldn't swallow it. Oh my, I'm sorry." Byeol was so embarrassed now, covering her face.

Hysterically laughing now, Gunwoo was standing up pointing at Byeol. "Waaaaah!"

Just then a guy behind the old lady working came walking up to them, "Okay, I think it's time for you both to leave now." His stern voice was now reaching towards Ghost Boys arm.

"Wha.... Why?" Ghost Boy's eyebrows frowned. "But my friend and I were just enjoying a couple of drinks. No, please."

The older man with the white shirt covered in grease examined Ghost Boy's sloppy mess, "Nope. Come back tomorrow but I think you are done for today." Holding on to Gunwoo's sleeve he began to lead him out of the tent. "You too Miss take your boyfriend home, okay?"

"What?" Byeol stood up following the two.

"Take him home, have him sleep it off okay?" The older man was smirking at her.

Gunwoo began digging in his pockets and pulled out more cash trying to hand it to the older guy.

"No, you already paid," the older worker began holding his hand up.

Gunwoo grabbed the man's hands and gave him his money.

"Okay-okay," the older man said. 

Thinking he was going to take them money for himself, he handed it to Byeol.

"He does this every night, it's nice to know you are here to help him home. He usually is too drunk to make it out of here and we let him stay the night but today you can take him." The old man said."

"Where do I take him?" Byeol was trying to remain calm but she never in a million years thought she would be responsible for someone she didn't really know.

"What?" The old guy was laughing. "Home of course! I mean I don't know what you kids these days do, but I'm sure your parents would prefer you to go home."

"Oh," Byeol was now looking at Gunwoo who was trying to howl at the moon while he was hugging a light post.

Byeol walked out of the tent and shyly started making her way towards Ghost Boy. "I think it's time you should go home."

Gunwoo spun around the light post, "What? The night is still young! We are young!"

Byeol looked at him surprised. "I am too young and I think I should go home."

Gunwoo spun around the light post again, "What's so important at home? Your mom?"

Byeol thought about his question, there was nothing important but she didn't want to get into trouble.

"Your friends?" Gunwoo grabbed Byeol's hand. "I'll be your friend." Off he pulled her walking down the street.

Byeol slammed her foot down and grabbed the light post, "It's okay. I think I better go home."

"I don't trust this guy!" Joon roared, standing between Ghost Boy and Byeol. "Run!"

Gunwoo smiled at her like she was prey, "Why?" He hunched his back slightly walking to Byeol.

Byeol let go of the light post ready to make a mad dash, but Ghost Boy was already in front of her and gave her a bear hug.

"I was always afraid to get near you but today, I will embrace you and show you, I am stronger than you," Gunwoo let a drunken sigh. "Just do one thing for me please and you can go home."

Byeol was terrified to know what he wanted her to do. She had never been this close to a boy before and it was too much to take in. She was so close that she hear his heart beat and smelled his cologne that was so familiar to him it was like yesterday when she smelled his handkerchief. 

"What?" Byeol asked with fear.

"Karaoke?" Gunwoo muttered stupidly letting her go. He waved his hands in the air, "Karaoke!"