Messages

Play Boy or Pet Boy

___________________________________________________________
Having slept quite restless, because of her mixed up feelings about the previous evening, YeoJin decided to get up early. Early meaning 6:30 AM. After a warm shower, she walked downstairs in a bathrobe, a towel around her head. She made a cup of tea for herself and pressed the button on her home phone to listen to messages on her answering machine. She was stunned to hear that there were 17 messages left from missed calls! Of which 16 were coming from JaeBeom. The other one was from Sunny.
Bracing herself for the messages, she sat down and started listening to them.

“Hey, this is JaeBeom… I-uh, I think I made a mistake… Please call me when you can…”

“Hi, Jae again… Call me? I really need to talk to you. I’m sure we can work out this misunderstanding…”

“I know I sound like I’m bothering you again, but I have to leave for an hour, you can call me on my mobile phone… Please do, okay?”

The next 5 messages had the same meaning and intention, but they started to sound less patient and more desperate. After that JaeBeom had started to sing his pleas…

“Jinny~ Call me~ I’m home!”

“I’m officially missing you~”

“I want nobody, nobody, but you~ I want nobody, nobody, but you~ to call meeee~”

“Beautiful girls~ all over the world~ I could be chasing, but my time would be wasted, they got nothing on you~ baby~ nothing on you~ baby~!”

What guy could take himself serious, when behaving in this manner? YeoJin really doubted his sincerity, but she was too curious and too heartbroken to delete the messages before listening to them completely. His voice was like music, poisonous music. The next few messages were nothing more than rants of frustration and pain, uttered in useless threats.

“I’m doing nothing right now, but if you don’t call me back soon I might not be able to answer and you’ll never get a chance to make up with me… So, make sure to call me!”

“JIN! CALL ME! Damnit! I want you to know the truth! You and me are the real thing! There is nothing better you can expect! Now pick up the phone and dial my ing 10 digits!”

YeoJin scoffed and was getting increasingly more angry at JaeBeom’s indirect insults. There were only 2 messages left from him and 1 from Sunny. YeoJin wanted to rush up to the machine to push the delete button until she could hear that liberating beep that’d tell her she had no messages left. Instead she just held a firm grip on the sides of her chair and remained seated, listening…

“If you don’t dial my number within 2 hours, I’m going to jump on my phone! It’ll be crushed and it’ll be your fault! So call me, even if it’s just to save my phone…”

“PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE? I’m effing begging you! … … … … … Okay, I’m done…”

No more messages from JaeBeom, he had given up on calling even before YeoJin had the chance to listen to his pleas. YeoJin was seething by the time Sunny’s voice filled the room.

“Jinny, it’s me, Sunny. I heard about JaeBeom and you from Na-Young… Are you okay? Let’s have a girls night soon, okay? Can you call me on my mobile, SungMin is sleeping due to a long night at work…”

Involuntarily YeoJin felt jealous of Sunny, she and SungMin had been dating for almost a year now. In contrary to YeoJin and JaeBeom, who had had a very rocky relationship together, Sunny and SungMin were a stable couple, they seemed to complete each other.
However much she hated herself for it, all YeoJin felt about her friend’s relationship now was jealousy. Not that she wanted SungMin or a guy like him, he wasn’t at all her type, but she wanted someone who’d be her polar opposite, someone who’d satisfy all her social as well as physical needs. Sunny had that someone, Na-Young had that someone too, albeit a hired one…
Should YeoJin, the not-so-adventurous girl, just hit on her new-found pet boy Ok TaecYeon? It seemed so ridiculous! No way a guy like him could actually be attracted to her, let alone they’d be able to start a relationship and end up married in the future with lots of children! YeoJin just couldn’t feel completed with a pet boy, but then again, she wasn’t Na-Young…

Na-Young had always been a little headstrong, she never did things in any other way than her own. With the pet boy thing, she really believed it was the best option for her. She wanted a prince and where were they more likely to be than at a pet boy company? “When I’ve found the right one, I’ll be able to steal his heart and tie him to me”, Na-Young had stated a couple of months ago, when she had just started all that stuff. Of course this attitude was the result of her breaking up with HeeChul, a rather painful break-up, one of which YeoJin now knew to be almost unbearable.
As expected, Na-Young had handled it in her own way. From one moment on another, Na-Young didn’t mention him, she didn’t speak to him, she had no contact information of him anymore and had gotten rid of anything evident to their relationship. When Sunny or YeoJin would say his name, she sincerely asked: “Who’s HeeChul?”. They had even thought she was suffering from temporarily memory loss because of the traumatic break-up, but that turned out not to be the case. At a girls night at YeoJin’s home, when all three had drank a little too much, Na-Young had broken down and started crying to her heart’s content, screaming for and at HeeChul (who wasn’t even there) relentlessly.

Back to the phone messages…
YeoJin decided to call JaeBeom back. Sunny could wait for a while. If Sunny wanted an update on her failed relationship, it was better YeoJin’d call Jae first anyway. Actually, YeoJin wanted to know whether JaeBeom had really demolished his phone as he threatened to do, rather than hearing his voice again… but everyone could guess that was a good second reason…

“WHO THE HECK CALLS AT 7!” JaeBeom’s voice shouted into the receiver.
Oops, yeah, JaeBeom always really liked his sleep in the morning… However YeoJin couldn’t care less, him yelling at her was enough to get her on her hind legs as well.
“DON’T YOU DARE YELL AT ME, JAE!” She yelled back, agitated already.
“Oh, I’m sorry honey, I didn’t wear my contacts yet, I couldn’t read the caller ID, so that’s why I…” JaeBeom apologized using a calm and sleepy, but sugary sweet voice.
“I’m not your HONEY!!” YeoJin interrupted him.
“Why not?”
“WHY NOT?!” She repeated the question, feeling highly indignant and dangerously close to exploding from build-up rage.
“Listen Jinny, what are we fighting about, huh? Obviously you want me back, otherwise you’d never called me back…” JaeBeom said, presenting her with the uneasy truth that she indeed was longing to have him back, but another part of her was trying hard to ignore it.
“NO, I DO NOT! I don’t want you to break your phone… It’s not about it being your phone either… I just don’t want phones to break, or televisions, or anything else…” It wasn’t the best of excuses she ever made, but she succeeded in at least convincing herself of her words.
“Don’t lie to yourself, I know you have your pride, but I promise you I…” YeoJin ended the conversation. Enough was enough…
___________________________________________________________

CherryChocol8 -23.12.2010-