Wae?

A Mishap in Time { ON HIATUS }

 

Eunhyuk's Entry #2

 

Now I know why Yeonie had mysteriously disappeared in the middle of our hide and seek. She just wasted my time, getting lovey dovey with this Prince Kibum. I hate her. Seriously, and now, because of her, I had to go with Appa to the Palace. Umma said, I need to work now. I had to quit my studies for a year. You know, financial problems. While my sister get to go to school? That's completely rubbish.

 

The King was really kind. He and Appa were friends since childhood. That's why we can go to the palace without any invitations or something.

 

"Why work at such a young age?" The King asked Appa.

 

"As always, financial problems." Appa answered.

 

"I see. If that's the case, let me help you! I can get him to study at the same University my boy is studying." The King said, motioning to a boy at my age at his side. It must be that Kibum.

 

"Oh, no, no. Please, there's no need. We can manage. For now, I need my son to work for you."

 

"Hmm. I understand. Perhaps, he can be a runner in the kitchen?" the king glanced to me.

 

"That would be my pleasure, sir." I answered.

 

"Very well then. Everything's settled. Kibum, if you don't mind, kindly  entertain our visitors from the Miina Kingdom as I give Hyukjae a tour." the King instructed his son.

 

Four of us passed by the Hall together. Kibum did what he was told to do so as we part our ways. But before everything else, as I glanced through where Kibum is going to, I saw heaven.

 

I saw a girl of Yeonnie's age. She had long brown hair and beautiful doe eyes. I saw her look at me, then she flashed a smile. A smile so beautiful than it almost makes me melt at my very spot. She is such a head-turner. At such a young age, I could tell that she will be a very beautiful woman. Then, I would marry her.

 

The King introduced me to the Head Chef, Mr. Choi. Then my father left me there, to settle some other things with the King.

 

"Mr. Choi, who are the visitors?" I asked.

 

"Oh, that's King from the Miina Kingdom, along with his daughter, Yoona. They are the King's most valued allies these days."

 

"Oh, I see."

 

"You'll start tomorrow, okay? You should be here by 6:00 in the morning. Do you understand?"

 

"Yes, sir."

 

"Oh, no, no! You can simply call me Sahm-chon."

 

"Uhh, okay, Sahm-chon!"

 

"Okay! Go along now. Have a lot of rest today. Tomorrow is your first day!" he said.

 

"Thank you, Sahm-chon!" I said, then I went outside to find my father.

 

The palace is pretty big, I must admit. And the conclusion? I became lost. I went through different doors, different hallways, all of which I don't even remember! Then, somehow, as I'm finding my way back, I managed to talk to Princess Yoona! So, while I was walking around, a saw her running towards my direction, her eyes half closed. I can see tears on it, so I guess she couldn't see the path clearly, so the result, she bumped me, and then the both of us fell, with her over me!

 

I was all red at that time, I guess she was also red at that time. Can you imagine? It's just like a fairytale. So, I helped her get up, then we introduced ourselves to each other. Her name was Im Yoona, spelled as Yoon A. She came from the Miina Kingdom, she was the only princess. She is just as young as Yeonnie. Prince Kibum was her only childhood friend. We became friends, just like that. She was happy to meet me, because her father never allowed her to play with other kids.

 

"Why are you crying?" I asked her.

 

"Oh, you see, I was playing with Prince Kibum, but he told me he doesn't want. So, I cried and ran away. I was really depressed he said that. He was my only friend, until you came! So I was really glad to meet you!" She flashed a smile at me. I love the fact that she is grateful that I am her friend, too!

 

"So, why are you here? Oh! You're the boy I saw awhile ago with the King!" Yoona said.

 

"Yes, starting tomorrow, I'll be working with Mr. Choi in the kitchen."

 

"Oh! Mr. Choi really cooks like a pro! His dishes are so delicious! That's why I love visiting the castle!  I can see that you are pretty lost or something. Are you trying to find your way back?" Yoona asked.

 

"Uhh, yes. Can you help me?"

 

"Of course! I'd be glad to! So, you're going to be here in the palace every day?" Yoona asked, we started to walk.

 

"Yes. How about you?"

 

"Well, Dad and I visits the castle every once in a while, especially when there were gatherings. Sometimes, we stay here for a week, sometimes for a month! I guess I'll be seeing you a little too frequent every once in a while. Haha! We'll be such good friends!"

 

"Thank you! I don't really have many friends, we're just the same."

 

So we talked about a lot of things. Until we came to the point when we have to bid each other good bye's. I waved at her, she waved back at me.

 

"See you soon, oppa!"

 

It's already afternoon by the time I came home. I guess I was lost for such a long time. When I get home, Dad and Yeonnie were talking in the kitchen in a very gloomy way. I don't know, but something just feels very wrong.

 

"Hello, Dad, Yeonnie!" I greeted them, but they just looked at me. They were both in such a gloomy mood.

 

"Hey, did something happen?" I asked once more, but they didn't answer.

 

I put my things in my bed room and went to the kitchen with them.

 

"Hey, where's Mom? It's such a gloomy atmosphere without Mom..." I said. Again, they just looked at me. I can see that Yeonnie's eyes were red and tears started to form in it.

 

"Hey, why are you guys not answering? Don't tell me-" I felt a chill ran through my spine.

 

"Mom's gone, Oppa." I heard Hyoyeon said.

 

"Hyo, this isn't time for joking." Suddenly a tear escaped my eyes and rolled over my cheek.

 

"Mom died in a severe disease. The doctors told us that it was too late to save her."

 

It was impossible. I ran outside. I ran as fast as I can. I ran away from them. This isn't true. Mom did not die. Mom is strong and brave. She won't leave me. She loves me.

 

Tears didn't stop falling from my eyes. My heart was aching. Yet, I still ran. I ran until I was in the outskirts. I was in a nearby lake. I stopped there. I cried everything out there...

 

Maybe. If I hadn't gone to the palace, I could have saved Mom. Maybe, if I have not got to work at the palace, I get to be with Mom, just for the last time. The last time I was with her, my sister and I were fighting. She didn't like the both of us fighting. How I wished I could turn back time.

 

- Hyuk