Umma, Appa

A Mishap in Time { ON HIATUS }

Taemin's POV

I didn't want to go. But Hyoyeon noona persuaded me. She has a point, though. It's been weeks since we started going out. But my relationship with Sulli is so-so. When we're talking she thinks deeply before answering me. Like something is bothering her thoughts. Sometimes I think she doesn't like me because she's avoiding me in the library. But sometimes she would just capture my heart all over again.

"Taemin oppa." I heard her say as we're walking. I smiled. I'm glad that she's dropping the his majesties. I want her to feel comfortable with me.

"Ne?"

"I wanted you to meet my parents." she told me. My heart skipped a beat.

"When?"

"Tomorrow. I think they should know about this." she said quietly.

"Okay."

"Aren't you excited?"

But I didn't answer. How can I be excited?! What should I tell them? What if they don't like me?

"Let's just meet again tomorrow, huh? Same place." I smiled at her.

"Okay oppa." she told me.

I bent and kissed her hand. Then I left.

The next day, I refused to go. I hired a messenger to tell her I couldn't come. When the messenger came back, he told me she got the news. But she cried and ran away right after learning that I won't be able to come. I just hurt her feelings. It was such a fool of me. I don't know what to do. I can't even go to her and tell her I'm sorry. After that day, I didn't meet her again.

 

Yesterday, I asked Hyoyeon noona for help. I want to ask about a girl's opinion.

"Noona, what was on the girl's mind if she wanted a boy to meet her parents?" I asked her.

"It only means that she likes the boy." she said and winked at me. "So, Sulli asked you to come to her house?"

"Yes. But it was a week ago."

"What?! You declined her invitation?! Do you know how much courage she built just to tell that to you?" Hyoyeon noona stood up and said those in a loud voice.

"I'm a jerk, noona! I don't know what to do. I was scared and I don't know if her parents will like me." I confessed.

"Go to her tomorrow. Tell her you're sorry. And that you're not ready to meet her parents. Tomorrow's your only chance to fix it up. We're going to Aegyo Empire the next day!" she said.

"Yes, I know noona. That's why I asked for your help."

"You should've asked my help sooner!" she said and left me.

 

 

I brought flowers with me and went to the library where she's working. I was surprised when I found her talking to someone my age. They're both laughing at each other. Looks like they're having a good time. Sulli had never been happy like that to me. I guess she already likes somebody else. And that somebody else must be this guy.

I took a few steps closer to them. Her expression changed when she saw me. The guy she's talking to looked at me. He excused himself and walk towards me. He bumped my shoulder as he pass by. We exchanged death looks as he exit the library.

"Sulli." I grabbed her hand as she was about to walk away from me.

"Taemin oppa..." she faced me but doesn't look at me.

"I brought these flowers for you." I said, giving her the flowers. She accepted it but still doesn't look at me. "Sulli, I want to apologize. I'm sorry if I couldn't come to your house to meet your parents. I don't know anything about them. I'm afraid if they won't like me."

"You should've told me that so I could tell you that they will like you." she said, almost inaudibly.

"I-I wanted to meet them today. Can I still meet them?"

"Of course. Later afternoon. After my duties." she said silently.

"Sulli-ah..." I cupped her chin so that she'll look at me. "I'm sorry, okay?"

She avoided my eyes. I am about to kiss her but she pulled away. "I'll see you later, then, oppa."

"Yes."

I spent my whole day waiting for her at the library. I gave her meals as well as lunch. I read some books as I waited for her...

I woke up when she was poking my cheeks.

"Oh, I'm sorry Sulli. I must've fallen asleep." I said. I get up from the table and put the books back to the shelf.

"Are you ready to meet my parents?" she asked, smiling at me.

"Yes. I'm more than ready."

"That's good, oppa." she picked up the flowers I gave her then we went out the library.

We walked to her home. When we're there, she knocked on the door and opened it.

"Welcome to my home!" she said cheerfully.

I walked into her home but found no one. It was so peaceful. Her home was really cozy. Everything was in perfect shape. Though it's a bit small, it's very warm and clean.

"Where are your parents?" I asked her.

"Oh, they're at the backyard. Come, let's go!" she said and grabbed my hand. And we walked towards their backyard.

Their backyard was really beautiful. There are many flowers planted. And there were also vegetables grown. There was a really huge tree in the center. In front of the tree were two piles of rocks neatly arranged. That was the place where so many flowers were laid. For a moment my heart stopped beating.

I looked at Sulli. Her head was bent down as we're walking towards her parent's tomb. I felt a chill ran through my spine.

"Umma, Appa, I'd like you to meet Taemin." she looked at me. Her eyes were red. And her voice was full of sadness, "Taemin oppa, these are my parents."

"It's nice to meet you Sulli's umma at appa. I'm Taemin." I looked at her umma and appa. I bowed 90 degrees.

"Umma, Appa, Taemin oppa and I were going out these days. I really like him so I hope you like him, too." she said. I heard her took a deep breath. She continued, "Umma, Appa, Taemin oppa is really nice. He always gave me flowers whenever he visited me at work. Taemin oppa is a gentleman. Unlike the other guys who only look at my face.

I can say she's certainly crying now. I put my arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

"Umma, Appa... Taemin oppa is a prince. He is the king's son. Eventhough he's a prince, he's still nice to me. Eventhough I'm just a commoner, he wanted to be friends with me." she said while sobbing. "Minho oppa doesn't like him." she let out a soft laugh. "You know how Minho oppa can be over-protective sometimes. But I know Taemin oppa will take care of me! He will take good care of me. Right oppa?" she turned to me.

"Ne. I will take very good care of your daughter. I will make sure she's happy all the time. I-I hope you don't mind, if I'm going to ask her to go steady?" I asked her parents.

"Taemin oppa..." Sulli whispered. She stopped crying.

"Sulli's Umma, Sulli's Appa, I really like your daughter. I promise I won't make her cry. I hope we could be together. Officially." I said.

"Taemin oppa..." Sulli said louder.

Like an answer, the wind blew to our direction. I looked at Sulli's eyes. She is surprised at what I said. I was surprised, too. I didn't expect I could say those after all my practices.

"Would you be my girlfriend, Sulli?" I asked her, holding her hand.

"No." We turned our heads to the voice who said so. It was the guy from the library. He was standing by the door. He started walking towards us. Sulli looked surprised too. Then I saw the resemblance.

"Taemin oppa, this is Minho oppa. My brother." Sulli said.

"Nice to meet you, your majesty. Minho." he held out his hand.

"Taemin." we shook hands.

"I'm afraid I can't let Sulli be involved in a relationship right now. She is still young and you're arrogant. Come back a few years when you're responsible." Minho said.

"Minho oppa, don't be rude to Taemin oppa. He is a guest." Sulli said.

"No, he's not a guest. I didn't welcome him here. He is a tresspasser." he looked at me like I was a robber.

"Stop it, Minho oppa. I invited him in. So he's welcome." Sulli said.

"I want him out of the house. This instant." Minho said.

"Let's go, Taemin oppa." Sulli told me.

With one last glare at Minho, I walked with Sulli out of the house. We stopped by the door.

"Taemin oppa, I'm really sorry about Minho oppa. He doesn't like people going near me." Sulli apologized. "I'm really embarrassed."

"No, it's fine. At least, I'm sure no one else can steal your heart." I grinned.

"Taemin oppa. I appreciate everything you said earlier. But, I think Minho oppa is right."

"I know. He's right, really. I can wait."

"You'll really wait for me?" Sulli eyed me.

"Of course. I'll wait for you." I smiled at her.

She hugged me tightly. I hugged her back. I saw from the window Minho looking at us angrily.

"I guess I should stay away from you then?"

"Yeah. But promise me you'll come back for me. When I'm ready."

"I promise. You should go in now. Your brother seem so angry."

"Don't worry about him. He can't get angry at me." Sulli pulled away from the hug.

"I should go now. I'll see you again soon, okay?" I told her. "Promise me you'll take care."

"I promise, oppa. See you soon!" Sulli said.