Secret

A Mishap in Time { ON HIATUS }

Hyoyeon's Entry #2

 

I was waiting for my brother to come back. I wouldn't blame him. What happened, is really dreadful. I couldn't imagine losing Mom. I can't even accept it yet. I couldn't imagine my life for the next years without Mom. I'm sure we're feeling the same way. But his actions are so sudden. He ran away all of a sudden. He didn't even look back. I was afraid, of course. I can't afford to lose my brother just after I lost Mom.

 

"Dad, you should rest now." I told my Dad. He's been holding his tears ever since the news came to us.

 

"No, you're the one who should be resting, honey. Now go to sleep." Dad said.

 

"Dad, I want to wait for Hyukjae, too. He'll come back, won't he?"

 

"Of course, honey." Dad said. Then there was a sudden knock on the door. Dad went to the door and opened it. Then a figure of an unknown man was seen.

 

"Oh, Sir." Dad was surprised. He let the man in.

 

"I'm so sorry about your wife. But there is something very important I have to tell you." the man said.

 

As soon as the man came in, he had his eyes glued to me. As if I am to be get ridden off. It was as if I was a threat. He eyed my Dad, who looked at me, too. It's like they were passing notes in secrecy through their eyes. I would never forget the face of the man, of course.

 

Finally, "Hyo, I think it's the best time for you to go to bed already," Dad told me. I am usually not the type to obey especially when there is something going on, and this certain man would not let me know about this.

 

"What about Hyukjae oppa?" I fired.

 

"I'm sure he'll be back in no time. Promise you, he'll be the first one to greet you first thing in the morning." Dad smiled at me.

 

"Okay Dad." I told Dad, kissed him on the cheeks, and then went straight to my room.

 

I've got everything planned. I will pretend to be asleep, as my father entertains this visitor of ours. When Dad switch off the lights (he switches off the lights when he knows that I'm asleep), I will listen to everything they're saying. Yes, I know it's bad. But I just feel that there is really something going on.

 

When I laid down my bed, I heard Dad heat water. Probably to serve some tea to the man.

 

"Sir, why hurry? I mean, does this news can't wait for tomorrow? No, uhh, I mean, is it really that important?" I heard my Dad asked. I bet Dad had no clue about this. I didn't heard what the man answered Dad, maybe because he just nodded or shook his head. Probably nodded, because I'm hearing footsteps just outside my door. I quickly shut my eyes and pretend to be asleep. I heard the door opened and the light switch off. Then my door closed again.

 

"Where is your son?" I heard the man say.

 

"He ran away. He was at shock." Dad replied.

 

"I am sorry." the man said. "I didn't mean to-"

 

"It's all right." Dad cut him off. "So, what is the thing you wanted to discuss with?"

 

"Well, it's about your son." the man said. Now there's something really up. If it's about my brother, I have to listen closely to this.

 

"The year your son was born. It was the year of the French-Korean War. Where, we Koreans have successfully conquered the French, which made Lee ___ our King. It was a fruitful and joyful year for all of us.

 

"At the time when our country is not long to defeat, the Queen ordered me to protect her only son. I believe that the Queen labored the same day your wife labored. I'm sorry to tell you this. Your son, and the Queen’s son, was switched that night."

 

I'm confused. I could feel the confusion in Dad's heart, too.

 

"There must be a mistake." Dad said.

 

"I'm sorry. I believe that this is not the right time to tell you this. But my conscience is haunting me forever. I think Hyukjae is old enough to know about this. Until it is too late. I hope you'd understand." I heard the chair moved, probably, the man stood up.

 

I heard loud footsteps hurrying to the front door. I heard another chair move, another set of footsteps, probably Dad's, following the man.

 

"Wait!" I heard my Dad exclaim, the same time, I heard the front door open. Everything was silent. I wonder what happened.

 

I quickly stood up from my bed and get out of my room.

 

I stopped dead on my tracks...

 

 

~ Hyo <3