TROUBLED MIND

"It's Complicated"

 

Will you be my girlfriend?

 

 

Seohyun blinked a few times and tried to open her eyes, thinking that it was all her imagination, a product of night breeze and sleepiness. But when she opens her eyes, she still saw the white board being shown to her earlier and the man who is responsible for such an act still remains on its position, staring at her intently.

 

She doesn’t know how to react, to feel or how to respond to him. Everything is too sudden for her, too rush, and the feeling is too fresh for her to explain. Kyuhyun on the other hand is indeed having a heart race. Nervousness rise up to its limits especially when she only have a poker face, in depth silence and can’t be totally be decipher. Courageously, he broke her silence by asking her the same question.

 

“Hyun, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

She only stares at him again, still trying to convey everything has happened.

 

“Oppa….” She started to say in a soft and low voice.

 

“WHY?”

 

“Hyun..”

“Oppa, Why? Why it has to come this way?” she asks him trying to hold her tears as every detail had slowly sunk in to her.

 

“I don’t know Hyun, Mianhae… I am just following my heart. I didn’t plan this to happen. It just happens. You may think that I betray our friendship but I can’t help it anymore, my heart beats only for you. No matter how much I pretend to say that there is only friendship among us but my heart is too stubborn enough to listen to what I thought it should be. The more I’ll tell myself that it’s not love the more it hurts for me to feel. If you can’t answer me right now, just give me a chance to let you feel how much you are to me. I am more willing enough to let prove to you or to anyone else that I am serious and not just goofing around. Just a CHANCE Hyun” Kyuhyun had finally speak his heart out and kneel down to her with both knees.

 

“Oppa……… don’t do that…… get up...”

 

“I won’t…. Not until you’ll give me a chance” he firmly says

 

“But oppa…… We can’t be”

 

“May I know why? Are you afraid?”

 

“Anni… it is just we really can’t be…… You are a good man oppa but we really can’t be together even if I’ll give you a chance now, still we can’t be. I am sorry oppa.” A crying Seohyun said in between her sobs. She doesn’t know why but her heart is aching. Aching to see him like that, aching to say those hurtful words of rejection, aching … truly is.

 

Seohyun then tries to walk out away from him, walking while wiping her tears off.

 

“Hyun…” he called her loud enough for her to hear, still on his position and she stops as she heard her name. He slowly stood up as he heard her footsteps stop and turn around facing her back.

 

“Why can’t it be? Do you hate me or disgust me perhaps? Why? Why would you not give me a chance Hyunnie? Didn’t I pass your standards? Don’t I have the qualities of your ideal man? Does your father forbid you to have a relationship? Or you already have someone in your heart now? Please tell me Kwon Seohyun, tell me whycan’t we be lovers? Please” he begged literally with eyes full of devastation yet persistence is still there.

 

 

He was indeed persistent, determined to win her heart, willing enough to do anything but it only made Seohyun to be more choked up with the current situation. She can’t hardly breath, her heart is truly unsure, her world turns upside down. She was afraid and much more confused with what is going on inside her. Nevertheless, she felt good on how she mean to him. She like the adrenaline rush, she felt something tingling when she look at him. His touch is truly electrifying, his in depth stares melt her whole being but no matter how good she feel inside her conscience kicks her off telling her very brain that it is not right. She is already engaged to someone else and saying “YES” will only make them both hurting in the end.

 

“I am sorry Oppa, I don’t want to hurt you but this is isn’t right. We should remain as what we have and that is friendship. If you can’t accept the fact that we can’t go beyond friends then it is much better to end it right now though it hurts me but it is the right thing to do. Mianhae again oppa. Thanks for the memories and thank you for the time we’ve spent together. I’ll just take a taxi from here, Bye oppa Take care” Seohyun tried to be firm with her words making sure not to look back or else she may change her mind.

 

Her words were hitting him too hard, too harsh for him to accept. He was truly in denial to accept it but no matter what would he felt, she was already gone after he froze hearing such words from her. He was left alone hanging with the question “WHY?”

 

Seohyun was sitting on their sofa absentmindedly still undressed from earlier clothes. She took a deep breath and tries to convey every piece of emotions she felt. She start to answer why she felt such pain inside her, is it because she don’t want to hurt him and loss a friend or she was hurt because they only need to remain friends and not more than anything else? She in in depth thinking not even noticed the arrival of her sister who was indeed very happy.

 

“Hey Hyunnie, How was your date? Did you enjoy it? By the way, I have good news for you” Yuri excitedly said but no response from her.

 

“Yah!Hyunnie, are you even listening to me?” Yuri poked her

 

“Oh! You are here already unnie” she said in a low voice

 

“Aigoo! What were you thinking a while ago? And what is with those puffy eyes? Did you just cry?”

 

“Anniunnie, not at all” she lied “So, how was meeting with the whole LEE clan. Did you talk about your wedding?” she tries to make a good atmosphere

 

“Omo! How did you about the wedding thing?” Yuri asked who was truly shocked

 

“Huh? I was just joking around, what? So, is it true? When did he propose to you?” Seohyun asked

 

“Deh… Waaaaaaaaah!!” Yuri giggles while flashing the diamond ring attached to her ring finger.

 

“I’m engaged! It was so amazing, the whole clan knows about it. I was embarrassed at first Hyun, I am so happy right now Hyun AaaaaahhH!”

 

“Waaah!Unnie, I am so happy for you! Truly I am” she sincerely said but still her expression doesn’t match what she wants to portrays.

 

“Hyunnie, are you okay? You don’t seem to look happy at all” Yuri notice the sad expression and she knows that there is something she tries to hide.

 

“Dehunnie, I am truly happy with you and Khunoppa, don’t worry about me I am fine” She said

 

“Hyun, tell unnie… maybe I can help. Keeping in silence can’t solve any problem at all. You may say it’s nothing but I am your sister, I know there is something you need to tell” Yuri empathetically said that made Seohyun drop a tear then a soft sob after can be heard.

 

“Unnie, I don’t know what to do” She said in between her sobs that gets heavier every time she spoke.

 

Yuri was indeed hurt seeing her only sister in such a state. She knows that Seohyun is truly having a hard time since she is a kind of girl who is mature enough than her age mates and can handle things on her own.

 

“Just cry Hyun, let it out” Yuri hugged her dongsaeng whose words can’t be hardly heard.

 

The night was then spent with a heart to heart talk between the two sisters.

The next morning, Seohyun went to school with a heavy heart. She doesn’t know how to face him and thought that avoiding him is the only way. She lean her head on the table watching the trees outside.

 

“Good morning Hyunnie” Yoona greeted her but she didn’t hear it

 

“Yah! What is with a snob attitude early this morning? Got a problem?” Yoona said raising a voice

 

“Huh? Waeyo? She innocently answered back

 

“Never mind, by the way Sooyoungunnie said that Yuri unnie and Kyunoppa were already engaged, is that true?” she excitedly asked

 

“Deh, Khunoppa wants to assure unnie is her only hehehe”

 

“Aisssh, those love birds. Haaay I envy the both of you”

 

“Unnie” Seohyun slowly called her

 

“Huh?”

 

“Ahm…”

 

“What is it Hyun?”

 

“Unnie, how would you know that you are in love?” she suddenly ask that made Yoona stop from scrolling her phone

 

“Kwon Seohyun, is it you speaking? Aigoo! This is a miracle” Yoona pinched her both cheeks

 

“Unnie… just answer me, how did you know that you had fallen in love with Taecyeonoppa?” she asked looking at her intently that made Yoona realize that she is serious

 

“Ahmmm… you know what Hyun, the emotion or the feeling we called LOVE is a complicated and a simple matter at the same time” Yoona started

 

“HuH?” she made a face

 

“It is complicated since it can’t be seen physically; we don’t know how it really works nor how would it start or end at all but the good thing about it is it also remain simple by having no standards, procedures or does not require any qualification before you can fall in love. It happens every time, anywhere but the way I fall in love with Taecyeonoppa can be different by the way you would fall in love. Being at such state doesn’t need other people to say it to you but rather be felt inside. I may not know exactly what troubles you but the only thing I can help is to let you know that knowing the answer to your question can be done by closing your eyes, don’t think of any, Listen carefully to your heart and you’ll finally understand what I am talking about”

 

Yoona gave a smile to the younger one in front of her hoping that her words can help her to answer the questions she have inside.

 

“Listen to your heart? Yuri unnie also said it to me” she thought

 

“Omo! I forgot I need to submit some papers to Mr. Kang, I’ll just be right back Hyun okay?” Yoona grabbed some papers from her folders and hurriedly went to the faculty room.

 

Seohyun was left alone absorbing all the words from her two unnies but she only made a big sigh as a sign of frustration.

 

“Eottoke?” she told herself

 

- PHONE RING -

 

From: Yong_oppa

 

Hey Hyun! What are you doing today?

 

 

 

After reading the text, another big sigh was heard from her and left the message unreplied. She took her earphones and plugged it on her phone to listen some music hoping to help her ease the situation when a battery sign flash was seen.

 

“Hope this battery will survive till Yoonaunnie comes back” she said and hit the play button then lean again to the table

 

Moments later, Jinwoon came and occupy Yoona’s seat earlier.

 

“Hey Hyun” he greeted him

 

“Ahmmm, Hyun. There is something I need to tell you” He starts to say and Seohyun didn’t even move an inch.

 

“Hyun, just stay on that way so that it is much easier for me to say this, Just let me finish my words Hyun before you’ll react so that my confidence won’t fade away and I know there isn’t much opportunity left for me to say this. Aheem, Here it is, This won’t be the most romantic way of telling you or the most effort to do so but I can’t hold it no more the feelings I have for you since middle school. I know that you look unto me as your best friend but I can’t fight the feelings inside me every time you are near me, the way you stare, every little thing you do makes me know how much I fall in love with you. I am sorry Hyun for breaking the wall of friendship but I already fall in love with you. I do plan to hide this forever but I thought I may regret it someday that is why I say this to you. Kwon Seo Hyun, I have fallen in love with you. There, Finally I’ve said it for how many years”

 

Silence was all he could hear from her.

 

“Hyun” he call

 

“Hyun” he calls again and shrugged her shoulders.

 

Seohyun slowly lift up her head, face him and took off her ear phones.

 

“Huh? Did you say something Jinwoonie? Oh! What a pretty flowers you’ve got”

 

Jinwoon was indeed shattered in to pieces, he was frozen and embarrassed at the same time. If only he can vanish immediately at a one snap of a finger, he had done it already. He don’t know how to react, what to say and what to do. Tears are already forming from his eyes and try hard to hold it back.

“Anni, I just pass by to say Hello, I better go, got some works to do, See you around Hyun..” he can’t hardly say the words and immediately turn around and walk off. He was crying hard as he threw the bouquet of flowers on the trash bin.

 

Seohyun was just looking his every step, her heart was again hurting.

 

Mianhae Jinwoonie, I guess it’s better to have it this way. I don’t want to hurt but I guess you are already hurt but I am already pre occupied with more trouble things and I can’t take another one at this moment. Sorry, you don’t deserve to be treated that way, I am so sorry

 

A tear then ran off from her cheeks grabbing her phone which is already out of battery. All black,…… she was listening all through out.