Chapter 26

You and Your Scent

Chanhee lay down on her bed. She’s not sleeping, but her body feels like flying. She wraps herself with blankets.

Finally she’s fall asleep but it’s already morning.

L.Joe woke up and get ready for school. He take a look at his phone. No more calls or messages from Chanhee. He feels a little bit disappointed but then he shrug it off.

May be she understand that I still need more time.

Then he goes to school, alone.

When he arrived at the school gate, he saw Changjo standing there.

“Where’s Miss Lee?” Changjo asked when L.Joe passing by. The boy just ignore the question. Changjo then pulls his arms, making L.Joe facing him.

“I’m asking you, L.Joe. where’s Miss Lee?”

L.Joe  push Changjo’s hand from his arm. “Don’t touch me” L.Joe warns him and walk away.

Changjo still standing there, wishing that Chanhee will show up. But then she never comes. The last person walk into the school is Minsoo. Without any word Minsoo pulls Changjo and bring him to their class.

L.Joe saw Minsoo enter the class with Changjo. He gave Minsoo disgusted look.

“What?” Minsoo asking him, annoyed with L.Joe’s look.

“So now you’re his friend?”

“No. I found him standing like a fool on the gate so I just pull him or he will be late”

“Oh what a caring friend” L.Joe mocking him.

“Shut up Joe. It’s still early. I wanna live in peace today” Minsoo trying to ignore L.Joe. He’s upset to the fact that L.Joe didn’t give Chanhee a chance to explain.

 

Chanhee opens her eyes. And she feels like the room is spinning around. Quickly she closes her eyes and then slowly opens it again. When she finally can open her eyes, she looks at the clock.

Oh no! I’m late! It’s already lunch break now. When she tried to get up, she felt dizzy. Oh great now I can’t get up. She’s searching for her phone and when she find it, she send a message to Mr Andy. Telling him she can’t make it to the school today and will visit the doctor later.

After receiving the reply from Mr Andy that telling her to get some rest, then she back to sleep, wishing that when she wake up she will feel better.

 

The last class is Math, but there’s no sign of the teacher on L.Joe’s class.  Suddenly Mr Andy comes.

“Unfortunately Miss Lee is feeling unwell right now, so your class will be dismissed after you write down this homeworks”

Mr Andy wrote the homework questions on the board and then leave the class after he finished. “If you’ve finished, you may go home”

What? She’s feeling unwell? But she didn’t tell me… oh right. She still think I’m mad at her. Well I am. But… aish!

L.Joe grab his bag and leave the class right after Mr Andy left. Changjo who saw this, following him. and Minsoo follows the two.

“L.Joe wait!” Changjo called him when they’re outside the school.

Now what? This bastard following me?

L.Joe ignores him and keep on walking. Changjo runs to him and stop him.

“What happen with Miss Lee?”

“How do I know? wasn’t you the last person with her yesterday?”

“L.Joe! Changjo!” Minsoo runs to them, afraid that L.Joe will attack Changjo.

“Are you two going to Miss Lee’s?”

“Yeah” Changjo answered.

“Two? No. Just him” L.Joe said.

“You’re not going?” Changjo frowns

“None of your business”

“But you’re her boyfriend! And she’s sick! How can you ignore her?”

“ So you know. But how can you kissed someone’s girlfriend?” L.Joe grabs his collar.

“Whoa man, calm down” Minsoo tried to release Changjo from L.Joe.

“Changjo. I think you better go home now” Minsoo turns to Changjo and gave him the ‘Go Home Now’ look.

“Fine. Just…tell me if anything happen to her”

Minsoo frowns “How can I tell you when I don’t even know your number”

“Nielly knows” and then Changjo walk away, leaving the shock Minsoo.

“You coming or not” L.Joe ask him. Minsoo nods and follows him.

“Seriously Joe. You don’t know that she’s sick?”

L.Joe shakes his head.

“Don’t tell me you’re not talking to her last night”

L.Joe nods and Minsoo now shaking his head.

They arrived at Chanhee’s but L.Joe not moving.

“Why Joe?” Minsoo frowns. Seeing that L.Joe still not moving, Minsoo step to the door and ring the bell.

No answer. He tried to knock the door. Still no answer.

“Miss Lee. Are you there?” Minsoo now trying to call her. But still no answer.

Then L.Joe takes his phone and dialed her number. They can hear her phone ring. Long before she answer it. Her voice so weak.

“Hello?”

“….” L.Joe can’t speak after hearing her voice.

“Byung is that you?”

“…”

“Byungie?”

“Yah Joe is she answering? Why don’t you say something?” Chanhee can hear Minsoo’s voice.

“Byung where are you?”

“…in front of your door”

“Wait I’ll open the door”

Then they hear the door being unlock from the inside, and a pale face greet them.

“Byung” she’s smiling. Seeing her smile, L.Joe rushing to the door and hug her, doesn’t care about Minsoo that watching them.

“If you’re sick you should’ve tell me. Now let’s go back to your bed” L.Joe help her back to her room.

Minsoo get inside the house after L.Joe telling him. he sit on the couch, waiting for L.Joe who’s now taking care of Chanhee.

L.Joe helping Chanhee to get on her bed, covering her with blanket.

“How do you feel? Have you take any medicine? Have you seen the doctor?”

She shakes her head and smiles “I feel better now that you’re talking to me”

“Pabo. I’m serious”

“I haven’t eat or take anything. I get out of my bed when you said you’re outside”

“Aish you. Bang Minsoo!” he’s calling for his friend. Minsoo gets up and walk to the door. Standing on the door frame “What?”

“Can you please buy us something to eat. Porridge for her. Anything for you and me”

“Alright. Anything else? Medicines?”

“No. I have some on my emergency kit”

“Okay. I’ll be right back”

Then Minsoo left the house.

“You had a fever?” Chanhee nods.

“Why don’t you call me today?” L.Joe asked.

“I thought you’re still mad at me”

“But if you tell me you’re sick you know I won’t leave you alone” L.Joe frowns.

“Byungie… I’m sorry…about yesterday” she holds his hand.

“Shh…let’s talk about it later”

“But I want to talk about it now”

“No”

“Yes”

“No”

“Aish. Channie. We’ll talk about it when you feel better. That’s it.”

“Fine” Chanhee pouts.

“I’ll prepare the medicines. Where’s your emergency kit?”

She points out the box on her desk. L.Joe walk to her desk and find the medicines for her fever.

“How do you feel other than fever?”

“Headache”

He comes back with the medicines and a glass of water.

“Here, take it” L.Joe helps Chanhee to drink the medicines.

“Now go back to sleep”

Chanhee holds his hand tightly.

“Don’t leave me”

“I’ll stay here till you wake up. now sleep, Channie” He cares her face. Chanhee smiles and closes her eyes.

L.Joe rest his head on her bed, slowly he fell asleep.

Minsoo comes back and find the two fall asleep. He prepare the food and then walk slowly to L.Joe, shakes his shoulder.

“Man, the food is ready. I think I better leave now. You have to sort things out”

L.Joe opens his eyes and nods. “Thank you man”

Minsoo leave the house.

“Chanhee…Channie…baby Channie” L.Joe gently cares her cheek. Chanhee opens her eyes slowly.

“Are you hungry?”

Chanhee shakes her head and closes her eyes again.

“But you have to eat. I’ll feed you, okay?”

Chanhee just nods lazily.

L.Joe gets up and takes the food. Then he begin to feed sleepy Chanhee.

When they finished, Chanhee fall asleep again. Now that he’s awake, he sit beside her and observing her figure. Her face look better now, she’s not pale anymore.

She looks like an angel when sleeping. Channie, I love you so much till it hurts. I’m sorry if I hurt you. I promise I will be better.

He leans closer and kisses her forehead.