Nicknames

Off Stage

Tiffany’s POV

I was dreaming of Tao standing by my bedside and comforting me, he was so gentle and looked extremely worn out and sad. When I wake up, I’m relaxed for a moment but I’m soon engulfed in shame from yesterday. I look up and see Tao slumped on a chair with his hands dangling down from his side. I think back to yesterday when he had said, “I-I could’ve stopped this.” I wanted to tell him that it wasn’t his fault at all but I was too shocked from what had happened to say anything. I walk over to him and see a bit of drool on his chin, I wipe it off smiling slightly. Why didn’t he sleep on the sofa? I ask my self. He shifts a bit and brings his left arm up to his lap. Then something catches my eye, there’s a mark on his skin that’s hidden by his watch; it’s bright red. But when I continue to look at it, he starts to stir and I quickly go to my bed and pretend to sleep. I watch Tao get up and look at me before going to the kitchen. I get up and see that I’m still in my ruined clothes, I change quickly and toss the rags away wanting nothing to do with them. I peek out and see that Tao is grimacing while rubbing the area on his arm where I saw the mark.

“Something wrong?” I ask walking out from my room. He jumps and lowers his arm quickly.

“Nothing.” He says quickly. He takes a step forward but then moves back and turns to the stove. I frown but then remember yesterday when he had done the same thing but I don’t press him.

“Thank you for coming just in time.” I say.

“I don’t exactly think it was just in time, but you’re welcome.” He smiles meekly.

“It was, he didn’t get to do anything because I was putting up quite a fight.” I protest.

“Well it was lucky that you were able to.” He stirs the eggs and puts them in the pan. I watch him as he works then my eyes drift to look at his arm again, I can see the mark; it’s bleeding slightly. The sight brings tears into my eyes and I turn away. “What’s wrong?” He asks suddenly worried. I shake my head, slowly he turns me around to face him and pulls me close. He wraps his arms securely around me, I slowly relax into his arms relieved that he’s finally hugged me. We stay like this for a few minutes when he pulls away. “The eggs are burning.” He quickly puts them on the plate. “We should let them cool off for a bit.” He says.

“Yeah probably.” I say.

“Hang on, don’t I have work today?” He looks at his phone and reads a text and his eyebrows furrow. “The manager says we have a fan signing in a couple of hours but I only have to be there in two.” He says. He looks deflated for a moment but then smiles “Are you feeling a bit better?” He brushes a tear from my cheek.

“Yes.” I smile back.

“Well, I think we can eat, don’t you?” He pulls out a chair.

“Thanks.” I sit down.

“Your breakfast is here.” He sets the plate down in front of me and sits down.

“You’re not too excited for today are you?” I ask.

“At least I get a start like this.” He grins. I blush slightly. Once I’m done, I gather the dishes and start washing them. As I grab the first plate I hear a clicking noise, I turn to see Tao standing with his phone out and a smile on his face. He checks it and puts an “okay” sign. “Perfect.”

“Aw, did you have to take a picture?” I moan.

“Stephanie Hwang doesn’t like getting her picture taken?” He gasps. I make a face, “Don’t like that name? Alright, Hwang Mi-Young then.” He teases.

“Yah!” I grab for the phone.

“Do you want to delete a picture which is just about perfect?” He pouts.

“Fine, keep the photo, Huang Zitao.” I stick my tongue out.

“Thanks!” He grins.

“Now help me wash the dishes, Edison.” I smirk.

“Okay Manager Hwang.” He returns the expression but immediately starts drying the plates. “What next Mushroom?” He asks.

“You should sort your hair out Peach, it’s a mess.” I tell him.

“Alright Ddilfany.” He smirks and walks to the mirror. “Any better?” He asks leaning on the doorframe.

“One, I’m not that clumsy anymore.” He raises his eyebrows and looks at my hand which is still in it’s bandage. “Alright fine, I’m clumsy, happy?” I stick my tongue out. He shrugs, “And two, yes it looks fine Kung Fu Panda.”

“Truce…for now anyway, I love all these nicknames.” Tao holds out his hand.

“For now.” I shake his hand. I find it funny how he knew all these nicknames of mine but then again, I had paid attention to what the EXO members were saying and yes, I did look them up.