WARD 14

He and She
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WARD 14

It’s been a week since the Christening and Nichkhun is still thinking about the reason why Victoria was acting that way towards children.

She cried so hard after they lost the baby of one person from the community where the clinic is located.

She was too scared that something bad may happen to Na Won when she experienced complication.

And recently, she didn’t carry Ho Eun when So Eun handed her the baby.

 

Nichkun was sure that there is really something wrong with her… with connection to babies, to children… yet he can’t figure it out. He once tried to ask Krystal but she wouldn’t talk saying that it’s Victoria who’s supposed to tell him.

 

“Vic.” He called her when she entered the kitchen while he’s in the kitchen counter with his laptop.

“Um?” Victoria just gave him a glance as she proceeded to get some water. Ever since the christening, Victoria became a little soft towards him. She would now atleast talk to him.

Victoria knows that she has soften towards him, not just because of her feelings that kept on developing day by day, but she also doesn’t want to burden him. She perfectly knows that Nichkhun is somewhat still affected of his mom and all… and she badly want him to reconcile with him… due to… well… pity? She doesn’t know.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Nichkhun asked as he closed his laptop to face her.

“What is it?”

“It may be too personal… it would be up to you if you’ll answer it.” Nichkhun couldn’t perfectly find the courage to ask her directly.

“Just ask me immediately Khun…. So we’ll know if I’m answering it or not.” Victoria acted as if she’s losing interest with the conversation.

“Qian…. About you being aloof to baby Ho Eun during the christening… your reaction when the pregnant woman from the community lost her baby and when Na Won developed complications…. I just can’t help but notice that there is something wrong with you when it comes to this aspect…. Can I ask you why?” Nichkhun first took a deep breath before actually spilling his question.

 

One can clearly see the surprise on Victoria’s face upon Nichkhun’s question as she just looked down to her glass, drank a gulp and placed it on the sink.

“Didn’t you give me a choice whether I’ll answer it or not?” Victoria started, Nichkhun nodded.

“Then I choose not to answer it… I’m going up.” Victoria finally said as she went out of the kitchen leaving Nichkhun dumbfounded.

 

Whatever the reason is, Nichkhun is persistent in knowing it… he needs to know… he have to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

“Help! Help! My wife is almost giving birth! Help!” a man shouted as he helped in pushing the stretcher where his pregnant wife is lying down. She was definitely pale and is in pain.

 

“Calm down mister.” The nurse tried to calm him down as the got ready to transfer her to the hospital bed.

“In three… one… two… three!” the E.R. doctor said as they have successfully transferred her to the bed.

 

“Ready the IV… have her pulse and blood pressure check, monitor the contraction.” Said the E.R. doctor as everyone got busy. He also ordered for e delivery room to be ready.

 

“Mister, is your wife a pre-registered patient?” the E.R. Doctor asked.

“No Doctor, we didn’t see this coming but she just felt pain and her water broke, my wife has a RHD(Rheumatic Heart disease) She was already scheduled for surgery but we happened to find out that she’s pregnant which made us delay the surgery for another nine months… I’m afraid that she’ll experience chest pains because of this… please Doctor, save my wife, save my baby.” The father explained every detail but ended up pleading.

The E.R. Doctor immediately called a nurse.

“Who’s available thoracic surgeon now? OB?” he asked.

“Dr. Vic is available as well as Dr. Krystal.” The nurse immediately replied.

“Call them, we have an emergency case.” He instructed as he ran towards the hospital bed of the mother and checked on her.

 

“Report?”

“Her pulse rate is getting three times faster yet her blood pressure is declining.” The nurse replied which made the E.R. Doctor get worried.

 

Moments later, running Krystal and Victoria came.

 

“What happened?” Krystal immediately asked as she saw the pregnant woman in pain. The E.R. doctor immediately told them everything and showed them the report. His team has immediately checked test results in the past year of the patient through her husband as he told them about where and when did they get several tests. Good thing it was immediately sent to them.

 

“The baby and the mother are both in danger if the contraction continues, ready the delivery room… continue to monitor the mother’s case and the heartbeat of the baby.” Krystal said as everyone started moving.

Victoria was a little stoned beside her, she immediately poked her.

“Vic are you okay? Do you want me to call other Khun or Dr. Kyo to replace you?” Krystal asked, worried that her best friend might not like the possibilities that may happen in the situation.

“Krystal, we’ll do everything to save her and the baby right?” Victoria asked as she stared into Krystal’s eyes. Here she goes with Victoria again, she really hates to break her heart but she knows she can’t promise her everything.

“Vic, you do know that what we need to do is hope for the best, I can’t promise you anything, you know that.” Krystal tried to be soft as Victoria just nodded. She perfectly understand the different circumstances that may occur but she’s too afraid to admit it herself.

 

“Let’s go Vic, we should get ready.” Krystal said as they both headed to change to their scrubs.

 

 

 

 

“We want a normal delivery doctor.” Krystal’s eyes widen as Victoria’s jaw dropped upon hearing what the father said.

“But sir, you do know that it’ll be a risk if we’ll push through that, your wife would be definitely the one in danger… well the child as well.” Krystal was against it.

“And your wife’s heart is not in good condition too… her valves and reacting and we need to conduct the surgery as soon as the baby is out… sir we can’t take risk here.” Victoria added, trying to pursue the husband.

“I myself don’t like the idea, I never agreed… but I’ve got no choice, it’s my wife’s wish and I can’t decline it…. Please do your best to save them.” The husband replied as he signed the papers saying that they’ll go for a normal delivery. Krystal closed her eyes to clear her mind as Victoria clutch her palms to calm down.

 

Instead of immediate move to do the caesarean and have her valves fixed, they are off to wait for couple of hours for the wife to be ready. They need to wait for her cervix to dilate to finally start the drill of giving birth. Krystal kept on monitoring the contraction since it’s beyond the normal of 3-4 every ten minutes, the wife has been experiencing contraction 6-7 times in ten minutes. They even used oxygen to support her breathing.

 

“Doc, we’re monitoring the heartbeat of the baby… and the number is declining... earlier it was a normal rate, then it got doubled per minute… then in the past three times that I checked it again, the beat is declining per minute.”

 

“This is no good, ready for induction…. We can’t wait for another couple of hours to complete the 10 centimeters dilation.” Krystal announced as she went to check on the mother.

She was about to go when she felt someone hold her hand.

“What is it? Is there something you need? Are you feeling so much pain?” she asked as she gently squeezed her hand, hoping to let her feel that she’ll take good care of her.

“Please let me feel the joy of giving birth… this may be the last.” The mother said which made Krystal gulp.

“We’ll do our best… we’ll have you and the baby, please be strong throughout the process.” Krystal said as the mother weakly nodded.

 

 

 

-

 

“Where is Krystal and Victoria?” Nichkhun asked, he just came from the clinic, it’s finally his and he’s getting ready to have it renovated. When he arrived, he checked on their office but haven’t found them.

 

“I’m on my way to them.” Minhyuk replied, sounding a bit hurried.

“Where?” Nichkhun asked as he caught up with his pace of walking.

“Delivery room…. They’re having an emergency case, a mother with RHD to do a normal birth delivery, Victoria will conduct immediately valve repair after labor… they can’t waste time or else the mother might not make it.” Minhyuk informed him which suddenly made Nichkhun feel a sudden nervousness in his senses.

Victoria is facing another situation of doing an operation for a pregnant woman… he can still remember how she cried infront of him regarding the lost baby. He wasn’t hoping nor thinking about anything bad for the baby or the mother… yet he’s nervous and worried that Victoria might get affected by the whole scenario.

“Let’s go together.” Nichkhun said.

 

 

 

-

 

Victoria was at the side as Krystal started the drill. Everyone was monitoring both the baby and the mother as they received a test result from the previous hospital that the mother once went for a check-up since she didn’t have her own OB-gyne. They found out that the baby’s heart was as weak as her mom that made them work double time.

 

“Give me a push when you’re ready.” Krystal instructed as she was als

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter