The Only Friend

The Blind Eyes

"I have no friends," IU said, calming down a bit. "I stay away from people because they scare me."

Wooyoung kept quiet for a few minutes. She has no friends because she's blind and she's scared, he thought slowly, repeating that in his head. 

"Then…Can I be your friend?" Wooyoung asked carefully. IU was shocked with what Wooyoung said, and so was Wooyoung. He couldn't believe he actually said such a thing. 'Then can I be your friend?' Aw, how sweet! Wooyoung thought, Aish, Wooyoung! Why would you ask such a question! You must sound like a freak–

"Okay." Wooyoung stared at IU, who kept a shy smile.

"Excuse me?" he asked. Did she just say, 'okay?'

"Sure, let's be friends," IU said shyly, looking down at the ground. An unknowing smile crept on Wooyoung's face. He didn't know why he was smiling, he was just glad that he was able to be friends with IU. 

"Hey, what's your classroom?" Wooyoung asked. 

"Um, can you grab my hand and put it on the classroom number?" IU asked softly. Wooyoung quickly nodded and gently grab IU's fragile hands. He tugged her gently next to the walls and placed her hand on the classroom number. Slowly, her fingers went down the numbers and ran through the dotted dots. What in the world is this? Wooyoung wondered. I can hardly realize what it is.

"IU, what's the dot your touching?" Wooyoung asked. IU smiled.

"It's called braille. It helps the blind read and write," IU explained. She put her hands to the side and grinned. "My classroom should be the next class. It's room 88." Wooyoung glanced at the number plate and found '88' next to the classroom they were standing in front of. Suddenly, the door swung open, causing IU to fall on her back. The student who opened the door gasped.

"O-Omo! I'm so sorry!" the student apologized. Wooyoung glared at the student coldly.

"Yeah, well you could at least help her up," Wooyoung said, gritting his teeth. The student gulped and stared at IU.

"Pick her up? W-What if she gets hurt if I pick her up?" the students stuttered. Wooyoung scoffed.

"Look, she's only blind! She doesn't have a broken bone or something," Wooyoung pointed out as he gently grabbed IU's hand. He pulled her up and helped her on her feet. IU smiled and dusted off some dust off her skirt. She smiled kindly at the student.

"It's perfectly fine. I'm okay," IU said. She quickly faced someone else and said, "Wooyoung can you–"

"Um, IU, I'm over here," Wooyoung said, turning IU's body to face him. IU laughed uneasily and rubbed her nape.

"Oops! Um, Wooyoung, can you take me to my classroom now? I don't want to cause anymore trouble," IU said quietly.

"Oh no, the trouble is mine! Please don't blame yourself IU!" the student exclaimed desperately. 

"Dude, chill! It's only an accident! Besides, you don't even have see-through eyes or anything! An apology is enough! Gosh, you're freaking out as if she was a teacher or the president," Wooyoung grumbled. Don't these guys know how to treat a handicapped person? Sure, IU's blind, but she's the same as everyone else! Wooyoung thought.

"B-But doesn't she…you know, scare you?" the student asked quietly.

"Why in the world would she scare me? She's my friend!" Wooyoung shouted. The student widened his eyes. Silence filled the atmosphere as it got tensed. Did I say something wrong? he wondered.

"F-Friend?" the student stuttered. "Gosh, IU, I can't believe you found a friend!"

"She can be anyone's friend! You guys treat IU as if she was some kind of expensive vase. Just treat her like a normal person!" Wooyoung shouted, glaring at everyone in the school. He grabbed IU's hand and forcefully walked away with her.

"C'mon, let's go IU!" Wooyoung said, as they arrived at the next classroom. IU quickly bowed her head to the student and entered her classroom. For some reason, it was empty. Wooyoung looked down his schedule to see what his homeroom was. Tiffany had brought his schedule paper earlier in the morning before they went to school so Wooyoung could remember his classes. What? I'm class 87?! Aish…Then I can't take care of IU anymore, Wooyoung thought, scratching his head.

"Gomawo," IU thanked quietly. Wooyoung raised an eyebrow and looked up from his paper.

"Huh?" 

"G-Gomawo," IU repeated. "You're the first person who actually stood up for me."

"How about Bummie? I mean, Bummie's original owner? Wasn't he your friend?" Wooyoung asked, putting his paper away in his backpack. IU giggled softly and sat at a random desk.

"Mm…Yeah, he was my friend, but he wouldn't stand up for me," IU said. Wooyoung widened his eyes.

"What?! But he's your friend!" Wooyoung exclaimed. 

"I know, but…I guess you can say he was a little selfish," IU said, heaving a sigh. "He wouldn't let me be anyone's friend except for him."

"Why? I think he's stupid," Wooyoung mumbled. IU forced a smile and looked at Wooyoung.

"That's what I thought, too! Whenever I asked him why I couldn't make friends, his answer was always the same. The only thing he would say to me was, 'You only need me and no one else.'"