Cowardly in Love

The Blind Eyes

"How long do we have to stay here?" Wooyoung grumbled, bouncing a ball against the ground. IU shushed him, her head facing the direction of where Bummie and its "girlfriend" was.

"Until later," IU replied, carefully listening to Bummie barking softly to the dog.

"You know, I thought this was our get-together, Why don't we get some ice cream or something?" Wooyoung suggested. IU sighed as she nodded her head. She got up on her feet, but quickly yelped for helped as she stumbled backwards. Wooyoung, who was quick with his action, grabbed IU's arm before she could fall and pulled her towards.

"Aish...Babo! Why are you causing so much trouble?" Wooyoung scolded. IU pouted and quickly apologized to him.

"I-I'm sorry! I just, well, kind of lost my balance there," IU said quietly. She wrapped her arms around Wooyoung and hugged him, thankful that he had saved her. Realizing what position the two were in, Wooyoung quickly backed up and began to blush. IU, still dense, tilted her head a bit and stared at Wooyoung confusingly.

"What's wrong?" she asked, after hearing Wooyoung almost panting nervously. Wooyoung shook his head and smiled at IU.

"Nothing's wrong," he assured. "Uh…What were we going to do again?"

"We were going to eat ice cream," IU reminded him, giving up a strange look. "Are you sure that there's nothing wrong?"

"I'm positive. Bummie, we're going to leave you here, so stay and be a good dog. IU and I are going to get some ice cream," Wooyoung commanded. Bummie barked in reply and focused its attention back to the female dog. Wooyoung rolled his eyes as IU giggled. He pushed her out of the pet shop, leaving the employees wondering why they left a guide dog in the pet shop, who was flirting with another dog.


"Should we go back?" IU suggested. "Bummie might be tired."

"Are you even allowed to bring food inside the pet shop?" Wooyoung asked, pointing at IU's ice cream. "You barely finished your vanilla."

"But–"

"Eat up," Wooyoung replied. "Stop worrying. Relax!"

"It's hard to relax when you're blind, Wooyoung oppa."

"Aigoo, you made a mess around your mouth," Wooyoung said, changing the subject. He made a "tsk" sound, grabbing a white napkin from his back pocket. Gently, he leaned towards IU, wiping off the sticky cream off her face. IU stood still, letting Wooyoung clean her up. As he dabbed off the ice cream, Wooyoung began to realize that he was only inches away from her lips.

Lips…lips… Wooyoung paused for a moment. Suddenly, he noticed how he felt IU's cold, icy breath on his own lips. His eyes widened, as he gulped nervously. A lump of salvia slowly trailed down his throat, as Wooyoung immediately backed off. 

Dugun, dugun, dugun…

"Is the ice cream gone?" IU finally asked, when she felt that there was no presence in front of her.

Wooyoung quickly nodded his head, but then quickly said, "Y-Y-Yep, it's gone." He tossed the crumbled napkin in the trashcan, as he turned his attention back to IU. 

What was that right then? Wooyoung wondered. My heart was beating so fast…My cheeks were heating up like volcanoes…and I can only think of her lips. Her lips. My gosh, I'm crazy!

"Can we go to Bummie now?" IU asked. "I'm a bit full."

"Are you allowed to feed Bummie ice cream?" Wooyoung questioned.

IU shrugged her shoulders. "As long as it isn't chocolate, it's fine." She stood up and dusted off any dirt on her skirt. "Let's go!"

She grabbed Wooyoung's hand, which was beginning to feel sweaty. He quickly pulled back his hand, wiped it against his jean, and held back IU's small, warm hands. The whole time on the way back, he would steal secret glances at her, gazing at her pure, innocent eyes. His heart would start race, and his cheeks would blaze with red.

Is this…what you call love? he wondered.


I don't want to fall in love with IU, Wooyoung thought, as he entered the house. I don't want to fall in love with her. It's just not right. I should be in love with Tiffany, but I'm not. Aish…If IU knows that I love her, she'll probably kill me, or worse–tell Key. Gah!

"Wooyoung-ah, how was your…er, trip?" Wooyoung's mother asked. Wooyoung looked up, staring at his mother. 

Of course! Wooyoung thought, as an idea popped into his head. Why didn't I think of this before?

"Umma!" Wooyoung exclaimed, running up to his mother. He embraced her in a hug, as if he never seen her in a million years. Her mother, shocked, gasped, her eyes enlarging. Wooyoung pulled back from the hug and stared seriously at his mother. "Umma, will you please do me a favor?"

Tiffany was coming down the stairs, wondering what the commotion was. She stop midway, staring at Wooyoung and his mother. What's he up to? Tiffany wondered.

"A-A favor?" Wooyoung's mother asked, utterly shocked. "W-Why would you need me to do a favor?"

"It's about the wedding!" Wooyoung cried. Tiffany took a few more steps down quietly, frowning. Even Wooyoung's mother frowned at her son.

"Do you want to cancel it?" Wooyoung's mother asked. Tiffany stared at Wooyoung, wondering what his answer would be. Instead of nodding his head, he actually shook his head.

"No! I want you to keep up the wedding, but is there a way to set up the wedding faster?" Wooyoung questioned. Wooyoung's mother dropped open, not because that she was shocked to hear her son want the wedding, but because she found Tiffany's hand slapping right across her son's cheek. Wooyoung's eyes widened, as Tiffany glared at Wooyoung.

"You coward!" Tiffany screamed. Wooyoung's mother, obviously confused, took a step back. Tiffany gritted her teeth, as Wooyoung glared at back her. "You stupid, little, annoying, coward!" 

"W-What's going on?" Wooyoung's mother asked, shocked.

"What the heck is your problem, Fany?" Wooyoung yelled angrily.

"Why would you want to set up the wedding faster?" Tiffany asked loudly. Thinking that it wasn't the right time to ask what was going on, Wooyoung's mother quietly crept up the stairs to her room.

"Because I just feel like to, okay? Besides, you're my wife!" Wooyoung shouted.

"No, you don't love me in a romantic way! You love IU! I knew it from the beginning! I loved you in a romantic way, but you know what? I don't love you anymore! We're only friends, and we know that we'll just stick as being friends. It's impossible for you to love me. Arraso? Impossible!" Tiffany scolded. Wooyoung bit his bottom lips, as each and every word Tiffany shouted shot right through his heart. He clenched a fist, and narrowed his eyes.

"How…do you know so much?" he questioned quietly.

Tiffany ignored his question and continued with her speech. "Face it, Wooyoung! You're not even going to treat me how a wife should be treated. You're not going to love me how you love IU. You. Are not. Freaking. Going. To be. My. Husband."

Wooyoung pressed his lips, wanting to say something back. However, he couldn't. He knew he couldn't. What was the point? Tiffany already stated the fact for him. It was either for him to protest about the truth or give in. Plus, protesting would be pointless. He sighed and unclenched his fist, irritatingly closing his eyes.

"I…I just don't know why I suddenly love her!" Wooyoung replied honestly. "It's just like something snapped and boom! I start having these gushy feelings."

Tiffany smiled softly and pulled Wooyoung into a hug. "It's okay. Let those feelings rush through your body. Just don't…go overboard with your feelings for IU."

And please, let me hug and hold him for a bit longer.