The Death of the Black Dog

The Blind Eyes

IU, Wooyoung, Key, and Tiffany were all at the hospital, saying their good lucks to Bummie. IU and Wooyoung avoided each other as much as possible, recalling the phone call they had. Key was already suspicious of the two, but decided to ignore it. Tiffany was first to talk to Bummie.

"Bummie, even though I don't know you well, and even though IU's getting donors, I need you to be strong to survive, arraso?" Tiffany said. Bummie didn't say anything. His eyes rolled in panic, as Tiffany sighed. She patted Bummie's stomach and walked away. Key came next.

"We've been through for a long time, pal," Key mumbled. Bummie wheezed out a bark. "If you don't survive, I just want to say…You're the best friend I could've ever had. But you better survive! If you don't, I'll come to you and…and…and scold you!"

Bummie smiled a bit, sticking his tongue out. It was like if the dog was teasing Key. Key walked away, trying to hold back his tears. IU stepped up next, and embraced Bummie into a hug.

"Bummie-ah, Bummie-ah…" IU whispered. "I never saw you, and I really, really want to see how you look. Alive. So make you sure you live, okay? Because if you don't live through this surgery, then it'll be almost impossible for me to live through my surgery."

Bummie gave a on IU's cheek. IU giggled and reached to pat Bummie's head. "I love you, Bummie." She kissed Bummie's nose and stepped away for Wooyoung to talk to Bummie. Wooyoung scratched his head.

"You know, Bummie. I…I don't know what to–"

"Arf! Arf! Arf!" Bummie barked. Wooyoung jumped and widened his eyes.

"I-I didn't do anything! I didn't say anything!" Wooyoung yelled, raising his arms. Bummie tried to touch its nose with its paws, and his nose. Wooyoung frowned. What was Bummie trying to say?

The surgeon came over and took Bummie towards the emergency room. "We'll do our best to save this dog. However, there is a 90% that he can't make it through. Are you sure?"

"We're positive," the four said boldly. The surgeon stared at the four, shocked. Then, the surgeon nodded and entered the emergency room. The lights of the emergency room sign went on, alerting people that the room was already taken. Now all the four had to do was wait.


Tiffany was constantly praying, her eyes closed and her hands folded. Key was nervously pacing back and forward, and Wooyoung tried to smoothen out his awkwardness with IU.

"Hey…" Wooyoung started quietly. IU just waved awkwardly. "Um…are we cool? You know, about yesterday…"

"La, la, la, I can't hear you!" IU exclaimed, covering her ears. His heart ached with pain, thinking that IU would ignore him the whole day. He sighed and scratched the back of his head.

"Look, I'm really sorry. I mean, the words just escaped out of my mouth," Wooyoung explained. "But I would really want to go out somewhere with you once your operation is completed. Please?"

IU kept quiet for a moment. A blush crept on her cheeks, as she hung her head low. After a couple of minutes passed, Wooyoung felt a pair of warm hands reached for his. Wooyoung looked up to see IU trying to get a grip on his hand. He smiled, knowing immediately that he was forgiven. He grabbed IU's hand tightly, giving her a smile. IU managed to smile softly and giggle.

At that moment, the emergency lights went off. IU, Key, Wooyoung, and Tiffany all stood up as the surgeon came out of the room. The surgeon loudly said, "Can I see the owners of Bummie?"

"It's us!" IU exclaimed. She scrambled to find her cane, but Wooyoung was already holding her hand. He led her towards the surgeon, as Key and Tiffany frantically walked up to the surgeon. The surgeon stared at the four kids, and then heaved a sad sigh.

"I'm sorry, folks, but…your dog did not survive the operation."


Wooyoung was walking in town, staring at the orange and yellow painted sky. His heart ached with pain, as tears swelled up in his eyes. He slid his hands in his pocket, and groaned. He remembered how terrible IU looked when she had heard of Bummie's death. Key was already crying, and Tiffany was just about to tear up. He stopped for a second, and then turned to his side. To his left was the pet shop. He peaked through the windows of the pet shop and found the dog that Bummie had fell in love with. The dog looked sad, lonely, and possibly miserable. 

"I'm sorry," Wooyoung whispered. "That your lover died."