Sureun Yeoseot

aegis

Mira stood there in the hall way.

 

Alone.

 

She knew it hurt Kyuhyun to see her with Soohyun. Had she seen him earlier, she wouldn’t have acted all too friendly with Soohyun in front of him.

Mira was aware of it.

She lightly shook her head, as a smile started to form on her pink lips.

 

For the umph-teenth time, they were fighting again, but this time, things will be different.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The nurses were whispering to one another.

 

“Did you see the frown on Dr Cho?”

“I wonder what happened to him..”

“Just now, Dr Cho gave the shortest briefing in history!”

“Omo.. he’s trying to smile, but it turned out to be just a thin stretch on his lips, and puffy cheeks!”

“How could he be cute and handsome at the same time?!”

 

 

 

Kyuhyun appeared to be busy writing a report in the Doctor’s office. Nobody else was there. Well, nobody was supposed to be in the office at that time. The others were busy making routine rounds and standby the ER. But of course Kyuhyun could do whatever he wanted—being the Capitan of the ER team.

 

It wasn’t usual of him be acting like this. In fact, he hated himself a little inside. He couldn’t seem to control the raging hormones reacting in him.

 

 

It started last night, specifically and most crucially after the sighting of his beloved dear, with despicable Soohyun.

He knows Mira. She isn’t the kind to be fooling around with other guys, but she was gullible and Soohyun that ‘girlfriend’s bestfriend wannabe’ was sure to take advantage of that.

He really couldn’t decide on which person to get angry with.

 

Kyuhyun tensely tapped the pen on the report paper.

 

 

“You know.. the ink will be ruined if you tap it like that..”

 

 

Who? Kyuhyun turned around to look towards the door.

Can she be any cuter?

It was Kim Mira. She was wearing the blue scrubs, with a stethoscope dangling over and around her pale neck, with her milky arms folded as she leaned against the door. She just came back from her routine rounds, passing by the office, only to find Kyuhyun sulking alone in there, growing mushrooms.

 

He didn’t say a word, and turned around, like the fact she was there didn’t matter the slightest bit to him. He continued to write the report and noticed that the girl came up to him and pulled a chair to sit right next to him.

 

“Writing a report?” she asked, lowering her head so that she could try and meet his eyes.

“No. singing a song,” he mocked her.

Mira bit her lips. This was going to be a tough one. But, yeah, she was prepared for this. She knew Kyuhyun was mad at her. Who wouldn’t? However she also knew that Kyuhyun loves her.

“I was thinking..” she scooted a little bit nearer. “Some of our friends are talking about—erm.. this new sandwich outlet in Myeongdong and...”

 

Kyuhyun turned to look at her, with a frown, of course.

“You want me to take you there?” he asked as a matter of fact.

Mira nodded and smiled the sweetest smile she could offer him.

 

“No,” he simply said and got up, leaving the papers behind. Leaving Mira behind.

 

She watched him leave. “Kyuhyun you childish jealous man. Just you wait,” she chuckled and vowed to try harder, looking at the so-called report Kyuhyun was working on. Clearly he didn’t have his mind at the right place, based on the stick figures he drew of how zombies were chasing another stickman.

 

 

 

***

 

Mira closed her locker and heaved a sigh, resting her head on it. She practically tried everything. She bought him a surprise lunch, which she placed it on his desk, because the brat refused to have lunch. She made sure to always look at him, so she’d catch his eye contact, which he just ignorantly looked away. She even showed a little bit of PDA, tugging his arms in front of their colleagues—since the word about them being a couple is already out. But Kyuhyun lightly shrugged her off.

 

“Let’s go”

 

 

Mira turned around and saw him. He had changed into casual clothes and had his backpack on. And the usual frown.

 

“G-go? Go where?” Mira stammered. This was the first time for that day when Kyuhyun actually initiated conversation with her. Could this be a good sign?

 

His eyes shifted to the clock on the wall in the changing room.

“The new sandwich outlet. You wanted to go,” he answered, in the most monotonous tone you’ve ever heard, like it was the most boring thing ever.

 

Mira grinned and quickly packed her bag, giddily. She then skipped right next to him and spontaneously laced her arm with his.

He looked at her, and she looked at him. “Yeay,” she eye-smiled and tugged him along.

 

 

 

 

***

 

It was literally killing him.

How could you do this to me!! Kyuhyun howled inside of his head. Why do I have to be on a strike now?! He mentally smacked his head. It was frustrating him, that he had to be in an angry state at this moment of time. This moment when Mira is acting cute, throwing aegyos everywhere, whining about the little things happening during work, tugging his arm.

 

Urgh! The things I would do to you if I weren’t mad now!

 

 

***

“Oh my gosh..” Mira exclaimed softly, and Kyuhyun couldn’t agree more. Their friends from the hospital were there too. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. Just when he thought he could have a moment with his girl, this had to happen. What a -block. Perfect.

 

“Hi chief!” Changmin saluted him, while the others waved and asked the two to join them. Out of the amount of people, Kyuhyun spotted Soohyun who just gave him a smirk. While on the other hand, Mira spotted Sora who was sulking and took a big bite of the sandwich she was holding.

 

 

It was chaotic.

Who knew a bunch of well educated doctors would be acting like this. Well, what do you expect? Definitely not the kind of people who would sit quietly and behave etiquette-ly.

Everybody was talking at the same time, loosing up the tense built at work. Everybody except four—you know who.

 

Coincidently, they were seated facing each other. Mira and Kyuhyun sitting next to each other, facing Sora and Soohyun.

Mira was still on her mission. She tried to talk about the sandwiches on the menu with Kyuhyun, but it seems like he was more interested in eye-slaughtering Soohyun, who was trying his best to ignore it. Sora, on the other hand, trying her best to not kick Mira from under the table.

It irritated her that Mira was acting like a real girlfriend to Kyuhyun—she is, Sora, reality check.

 

It was a mess. Some of the sandwich outlet workers were shaking their heads observing this group of people eating and laughing their heads off. They would’ve never guessed that these were doctors.

 

 

 

 

“Bye guys..” their friends left one by one, leaving the four of them at the table. It was getting awkward, and Soohyun decided to make it less tacky by asking Mira about the house issue.

“Found any house yet, Mira?” he casually asked and then took a bite of his sandwich. Sora perked up at the topic of conversation.

“You’re looking for a house?” she asked.

Uhh.. yeah.. issues with developers..” she said, looking at Sora’s face, who was desperately asking for expansion of the matter. She told her about how the land developers decided to demolish the housing area and all that ty stuff.

 

Soohyun decided to make things—a little bit interesting.

 

“I offered her my house,” he stated, taking a glimpse of how her boyfriend would react to that.

 

Indeed he reacted, alright. He was like a freaking nuclear reactor, waiting to explode, but he thought that wouldn’t be cool, and the last thing he wanted to do was appear as an uncool guy in front of Mira—and Soohyun, for that matter.

 

“You—offered—her—your own house?” Sora gasped. She wondered though. What, does Mira practice sorcery or something?! It’s like all the guys are throwing their hot bodies to her. “Why?!” she asked Soohyun, because she thought of him to be proposing his own house to her was absurd—and she secretly wonders why no guys ever did so to her. I’m obviously prettier than her.

 

“Correction. One of my many houses. Why? Well..” he searched around his head for a reason. “because she’s nice and I thought I should help her,” he shrugged. “and she’s cute,” he smiled to Mira, “I just can’t help it,”

 

 

“Well try to help it,” Kyuhyun remarked, finally—sarcastically of course. He then turned to look at Mira. “He offered you his house?” he asked, only audible to Mira’s ears.

“Emm.. yes?” she grinned. “But I haven’t decided yet,” she puppy-eyed him.

Great. Not only last night’s issue of her going out with Soohyun was not resolved, now Kyuhyun had to find out that Soohyun offered his own house to her.

Kyuhyun looked away from her.

“I offered my house too,” he quietly said, sipping his fruity smoothie, acknowledging Soohyun’s eyes sudden change of width.

 

Awesome, Sora thought. There were unmistakably fighting over Mira, right smack in front of her. Bet a hundred dollars that if she were to jump off a cliff right now, nobody would even give a damn.

“So which one is going to be? You obviously don’t have much time left,” she helped to ease the unnecessary tense. Or so she thought.

 

“My house”

 

 

 

 

Both of them answered.

 

 

*insert intense glares, plus thunder and electric static*