Set

aegis

 

"Aahhssskk.." a soundless gasp escaped from Mira, instantly sitting straight and widen her blurry eyes looking at the digital clock in front of the hall.

Before exiting the hall, Kyuhyun turned to look at Mi Ra and saw her quickly begin to scribble stuff onto her paper. He smirked as he headed towards the restroom with his hands in his pockets. 

"Mission accomplished."

 

Candidates may disperse quietly.”

 

With that, the sound of chairs being dragged and murmurs of students exchanging sighs on how tough the paper was filled all the corners of the examination hall. Kyuhyun slowly placed his pens and pencils back into his pencil case, intentionally, while the pupils of his eyes lurk to one corner, eyeing a certain lady that has caught his attention. He sees Mira zipping her pencil case and then gently rubbing a spot on her hand whilst blowing air to it at the same time.

A frown appeared on his forehead.

Did I-- pinch her too hard? But had I pinched her softly, she wouldn't have woken up just now. I'm doing her a favor, right? Yeah... But was it too hard? He winced at himself. Aishh, let me go and have a look.

He got up from his chair but then his view of Mi Ra was blocked.

"Yah. Chicken feet. Kaja," simple yet understandable instructions mumbled out of Ryeowook. He seemed upset, probably because of the paper. His best buddy Changmin was also there, with his hands busy texting his girlfriend, perhaps whining to her about how the test went for him.

"Oh..." was all that Kyuhyun could say as he picked up his backpack and make an effort to peer at the sight of Mi Ra from the empty spaces between the waists and thighs of Ryeowook and Changmin. He heaved a sigh. Looks like she left.

"Mwoya? You. You. Why are your faces like that?" pointed Changmin as he shoved his phone into the pocket of his slacks. It's so obvious that something was clouding their minds. Ryeowook clicked his tongue, as Kyuhyun and Changmin exchanged glances and raised brows.

 

"Imo, the usual juseyo!" shouted an overly energetic Changmin once they sat on the steel stool. "Man-up, dudes," he placed both of his hands on their shoulders, leaning to the both of them. "The paper can't be that bad? I mean, yeah, some questions were a bit brain-wrecking, but the rest- yah... It's in the bag, guys. In the bag.." he was so full of expression, it almost appeared like he was animated. His phone suddenly went off, "Ah, excuse me," he raised one finger, signaling that it'll probably take more than 10 minutes- his girlfriend, Lee Bona is calling.

Ryeowook attacked the chicken feet, fervently, once it got to the table. Slipping his hands into the clear plastic gloves, like a surgeon ready to cut into a body, he wolfed the sticky food like there was no tomorrow.

"It couldn't possibly be that bad, Wookie," he observed the monstrous like male devouring its meal. The Wookie he knows is the bookish type, and for a person who studies real hard, that paper just now couldn't have been that tough. Even though Kyuhyun ranks higher than him in exams, he knows Ryeowook’s standards. Must be something else then.

He slammed a chicken feet onto the plate in front of him, frustrated. “The paper was easy,” he stated. Kyuhyun telepathy-ly asked him, so what’s the problem?

"I got an offer," he said in a melancholic tone, staring at the poor chicken feet he just slammed, splattering some of the spicy red sauce surrounding it.

"Again..?" There wasn't a hint of surprise on Kyuhyun's face. This wasn't new to him. "Aaaaand??"

"I turned it down."

Kyuhyun huffed a heavy breath through his nose and shoved both of his hands into his pockets. He looked at his pitiable roommate, thinking of the best thing to say at that moment.

"You don't want to, right?" he finally responded.

'Ryeowook, the great'. Who would've guessed the soon-to-be doctor has an angelic singing voice. It was all a coincidence.

They went to a norebang that one night to celebrate their hyung, Shindong's birthday. Well, what do you do at a norebang aside from getting wasted? You sing to your heart's content. You could say that it was fated that when Ryeowook was singing 'Missing You' by Fly To The Sky and hitting the chorus with all might, the door to their room opened and he was then flocked by two guys, claiming they were from SM Entertainment. He was offered a contract to be a singer. On the spot.

"Kyuhyunnie.."

"Stop it, Wookie," Kyuhyun's tone was sharp because he did intended to break the gloomy bubble surrounding his buddy. "Let this week go by, and then we'll talk about it."

Ryeowook nodded quietly, picking up the chicken feet he slammed earlier and started to eat it, more human-like this time.

"Guys guys guys guys.. Please help me," Changmin pleaded as soon as he got back to their table in that shabby chicken feet stall. "I've to go to Bona's now, she sprained her delicate ankle," he pouted, "but my short-loan book is due in the next hour. Please help me return it, ok? Ok? Ok?" he was so desperate, he even bat his pretty lashes, making Kyuhyun cringe.

"Sorry, I have to tutor after this. Mianhe?" Ryeowook pointed a chicken feet to Changmin's face, apologetically.

"Fine.. Kyu, you? Please?" he asked as he got up, ready to leave the place, whatever answers Kyuhyun was going to give him. He took the book out and tapped on the hard cover with his knuckles.

"Ok," he answered, simple, slapping both of his thighs as he got up. "Ah. Maja. Bona's house is so near to that Daeji Galbi shop isn't-"

"I'll get you some! Return the book to the faculty library ne?"  he blurted as he made his way, leaving them both snickering.

 

The faculty's library- wasn't as popular as the main library of the university. It was smaller in size, but the books are adequate for students to read. Most students prefer going to the main library because of the facilities equipped there, including Kyuhyun. It was like a one stop center for him. He borrows books, be buys his stationery, he reads the online medical journals, and he is even able to satisfy his hunger there, as there is also a small cafe.

But the faculty's library- was just a place to get books and perhaps study, since not many of them go there. The main library was much more hip and cooler, in that sense.

 

The heavy doors made a low-toned swishy sound as it brushed across the carpeted floor when Kyuhyun opened it. As he had expected, the library was deserted, except for the librarian sitting at the counter, arranging some books quietly. 

"I'd like to return this book, please,” he glided the book to her and offered a smile. The librarian smiled back as she used a scanning device to scan the barcode on the book.

"Why did you take the short-loan? There's one you can borrow for a week," she peered through her reading glasses. "It's still there, if you want," she offered her help.

Thinking perhaps he would like to read the book as well, he made his way to the 'cardiology' isle,  looking up and reading the names of the sections, as he wasn't familiar with the arrangement of the library. With his hands in his pockets, he strode down an isle at a time and stopped at a particular isle.

Familiar.

She was sitting on the floor and had three stacks of books by her. Facing the shelves, she took a book from the stacks and neatly arranged them. One by one.

She grabbed another and this time actually read it. She tucked her flowing hair which had brushed her cheeks behind her ears- when she caught sight of the staring Kyuhyun at the other end of the isle.

Her big round eyes showed that she was surprised, because, one, she actually saw a person at the almost deserted library and, two, because it was Kyuhyun, or as she named him 'the owner of the dog".

Two hearts.

110/180 … 120/176 … 130/173

Each one of them pounding faster as the distance grew smaller and smaller. Kyuhyun stopped right next to her and kneeled down. All he wanted to do was converse.

All these wonderful feelings were swirling in him, like swallows flying freely in a circular motion above the meadows.

"Can you help me?" the ice-breaking session started, and he silently disbelieves himself how cool his own voice sounded.

"Y--yes. Can I help you?" she continued the session, with a rather awkward respond. She knew she should've asked him first. But it really wasn't her fault, for she was caught speechless by the charming him standing quietly there, looking at her just now.

"Where can I get this?" a strip of paper with numbers hand-written on it was slowly waved between them. She put down the book she was arranging and slowly reached her fingers towards the paper.

Darn it. Why did the paper had to be so small and why did Kyuhyun had to hold the paper strip at the longer end, leaving just a small space for Mi Ra to grasp on.

 

Kissed.

Their fingers actually just touched each other's tip, and that alone was enough to trigger hormones to seep into their blood vessels, making faces blush and bodies tingle.

"Aahhmm.." a gasp escaped her small mouth, making Kyuhyun smile at her reaction towards the sudden touch of skin. He finds every bit of her amazing to observe.

She held onto the strip of paper with both hands and pointed to the shelf just next to where Kyuhyun was kneeling down. "It's actually just over there. Here, let me help you find it," she sqirmed her helpful self in an attempt to get up.

Kyuhyun spoted a deep bluish purple mark on her arm. Oh god, no. No!

"No no no... It's ok," he waved his hands. "I can manage,” he said as his eyes never left her, looking at her as if she was the most insubstantial creature and any sudden motion might break her. He felt like he just murdered an innocent person, having looked at the mark. Mian..

She nodded and turned away, started to pick up another book from the stacks and placed it neatly onto the shelf.

"Do you work here?" he tried his hardest to make the conversation sound casual, as his eyes were on the books and his fingers leisurely sweeping by each book, searching for that one book.

"Yeah..," a simple answer as she too continued whatever she was doing.

"And Byungchul hyung's laundry shop?"

"Yeah.. That too."

"Wow.. Keeping yourself busy?" already Kyuhyun had passed that book he was looking for, about five times, cursing his lack of sweet talk and thought that might be handy in this situation, which was quickly becoming awkward.  Awkwardly awkward.

"Uhmm.." she hummed with a smile, just agreeing to what he just said. "Did you find the book?" change of topic.

"Yeah. Here," he showed her.

"Great. Excuse me," she smiled and got up, leaving Kyuhyun alone on the floor.

The door of the janitor room clicked as she closed it. She huffed an amount of air, making the fringe of her hair dance to the breeze.

First,  he'll ask about me working. Then, where I live. Next, god knows.. She panicked a little. I wonder if he's gone yet. She decided to stay ten more minutes in the stuffy room.

Observing her unglamorous watch, she slowly opened the door and slowly walked towards that isle.

He had left. Another sigh of relief was huffed, but something foreign lingered inside of her. Was she sad Kyuhyun left? That was what she wanted. But..

She cleared and continued arranging the books, when her eyes caught a stray book lying on the floor. It was the book Kyuhyun got from the shelf.

He couldn't possibly have dropped it and not realize it, could he? Weird…

She picked it up and something dropped out of the book. Something like a card.


[//OK, so obviously this is EXO's Sehun's. LOL I didn't edit the signature]

She looked at the display picture and smiled. "Cho-Kyu-Hyun," she read his name quietly and took a moment before she kept the card inside the book and continued her never-ending task of arranging books.

So many distractions.

So easily distracted.

She shook her head.