Yeoldaseot

aegis

"Tell me.. what's troubling you? Hmm?" he lovingly brushed Mi Ra's fringe away from her forehead, only to have it going to its original place back. Secretly, feeling glad he made the right decision to shoo the rest off to the restaurant first, saying that he had something to be settled in their college and wants Mi Ra to accompany him. Judging by her heavy breathing and the frown on her forehead, he knew something was going to happen. Perhaps their first fight?

Money has always been a sensitive issue for her. There was never enough. There had never been enough and even if there is, she would worry her heart thinking that it will all finish soon and she'll be back to square one. 

She looked down to her ballet flats, not wanting him to look at the expression on her face for it wasn't a pleasant one. The storm building up inside her made a forecast that it would rage soon, very soon, but in the corners of her mind, she didn't have the heart to fight with him. Just look at how calm he is, trying to soothe her. He knows I'm mad, it really is quite obvious. 

"It's just-- just that-- umm.." she cleared as a lump started to form there, making her words rather hard to be conveyed. "Kyu,I know we will start our placement soon, but-- there won't be any pay for at least two to three months, and I just--". She stopped talking as soon as Kyuhyun grabbed hold of her frenzied hands, which seemed too animated at that moment. Looking into his gaze, she felt disappointment coming from his eyes. 

"So you're worried I don't have money?" he questioned her reasoning, along with a cold, emotionless stare. She looked down, suppressing all the horrible feelings in her, concealing them. She didn't want anybody to get hurt- especially him.  "Do you actually believe that I will be broke just by buying our friends lunch?". There was a tinge of irritation in that tone of his. "Where is all this coming from? I— I don't understand," he shook his head, frowning, hating where the talk was leading to. 

"OK so you think I am a cheapskate? The kind of person who will not spend a ₩ for others?!” taken aback, she couldn’t believe of all people, the guy she loves was making her feel this way- offended.

Aniya.. that’s not—“

“Maybe you forgot that one time, when I bought you coffee with the few ₩ I have left, just because-- I felt like thanking you-- for helping me." She could feel her face getting hotter by every sentence she spat-- this time it wasn't blushing. "I had-- to walk home, you know?!" she held onto her chest, as her eyes looked straight to him. "I walked home because I didn't have enough money to get on a damn bus! Why?!" she hated herself so much for shouting at him, but it was hard for her to stay calm when she felt that Kyuhyun was questioning her as a person. "Why? Because I spent my bus fare on a person who I thought was worth it." she glared at him but at the same time was confused at how the conversation turned out that way. Wasn't I supposed to tell him how I worry about his cash flow? How did this become about me? Wasn't I angry at him for not telling me about the fee? Wait--  I was supposed to thank him, right? “Forget it,”

The next thing she knew, she was walking away from him, as she heard him calling her from a distance. A thousand things were drowning in her mind, and she was lost in them. She didn't know if they should have fought. She knows that she loves him, but perhaps it was all too soon. Kyuhyun didn't know about her and her sensitivity when it comes to money and she didn't know heck about him, for he could be the inheritor to a mega million ₩ company.

***

Three pairs of eyes were judging him as he hungrily chewed on a succulent dumpling. He then reached for the plate of steamed chicken and gulped that down too. 

"So...You didn't even go after her?" Ryeowook raised his brow in disbelief. "Jerk."

"Heyy.. I wanted to give her some time to chill," he defended himself. "I read that from a book," he muttered quietly.

"You read that-- from a book?!" Ryeowook felt the need to amplify what Kyuhyun said for everyone in the restaurant to hear. 

"Take it easy, Wookie," Changmin patted Ryeowook's shoulder, not liking the heated atmosphere for one bit. 

"Wow~ You guys are together for, what? Less than a week? And already fighting?!" Sora glanced towards Kyuhyun. "Daebak," she exclaimed with not much interest as she continued sipping the broth from the spoon before continuing, "I don't know, Kyuhyunnie.. Maybe she isn't much of an angel after all," she shrugged her shoulders carelessly.

"Yah. Yah. That's not the right thing to say to your friend's partner, woman! Just- just drink your soup quietly, would you?!" Ryeowook spat, giving her a piece of his mind. 

"I think, you have to quickly talk to her, man," Changmin said. "Whatever you guys are fighting about, there must be a reason behind it.  Try to understand that."

Kyuhyun finally lifted up his face, finally stopped eating and observed his friends- one was nodding at him, smiling and silently giving him encouragement while the other two were threatening one another to shove their chopsticks down each other's nostrils—friends, you just gotta love them.

Changmin's right. I have to understand her. We barely know each other. All I know is how much I care for her and would do anything to see her happy.

He stood up, abruptly, and slipped into his jacket.

"Where are you going?"

"Are you leaving now?"

They two people who were busy bantering asked in unison.

"I have to go somewhere. And don't worry about the meal," he gave them a wink as he left, concealing the disturbed look on his face.

Changmin clapped his hands in admiration. “As expected from the son of Cho. Yah you two! Stop making out and finish the meal,” he snickered.

***

Kyuhyun maybe the coolest dude in the entire university, but he might also be the stupidest when it comes to relationships. The H2H (heart to heart) column in the magazine he subscribed was literally his bible, taking notes on how to handle a woman's heart, prepping himself for that one day when he does. That was where he read 'Give your lady the space she deserves when you fight. Give her time to heal and cool down. Don't go rushing to her. That'll anger her more."

Kyuhyun sighed in confusion. Was the tip from the H2H wrong? He pouted as he continued to walk, unaware of the cute expression he was making with his face—contradicting his handsome and manly features, causing a few high school girls to squeal in excitement when they passed by him. 

The smell of lavender and soap suddenly came into his sense. He looked ahead and saw the sign Super Shinee Laundry Shop. A smile appeared on his lips, thinking--that was the place where I first met her, my sunshine. He was more than determined now to see her and work out their, what he wants to believe as, small fight. But then he thought he ought to make a quick stop to the laundry shop.

"Ahh. Uri Kyuhyunnie. Long time no see!" Byungchul greeted him as soon as he heard the sound of the bell tingling. 

"Byunchul hyung~" he fist-bumped the elder man. "It's good to see you again. How's the shop doing?"

"Getting better, actually," he laughed. "It's either the people are getting lazy to do their own laundry or their washing machines have broken down," and they both laughed. Kyuhyun had always liked exchanging stories with Byungchul, because for one, the latter had many stories to share because of the many customers he meet every day. 

"Well, I am happy that Mi Ra and you are together," he said, making Kyuhyun blush unwantedly. Byungchul had known her for quite some time and most importantly, he knows Mi Ra's stories. Deep in his heart, he reserved some respect for Kyuhyun, who willingly accepts her despite all her past flaws, which really wasn't the case. Our Kyuhyun is actually clueless about his girlfriend's background. 

"I guess I’m--I'm just lucky to have her" he nervously replied and was ready to leave the shop when Byunchul stopped him and asked him to wait as he hurried into his office and grabbed something.

"Are you going to see her after this?" he asked, placing a white envelope onto the counter, between him and Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun nodded. It was initially his plan to go straight to her house after listening to what Changmin said about trying to 'understand her reasons'. "Is there something you want me to pass on to her, hyung?" he asked, eyeing the white envelope. 

"Yes, if you could, please. I have been holding onto this for too long," he shoved the envelope towards Kyuhyun. "I hope she's able to settle that debt she has with her university,” the elder man openly discussed him, assuming that both him and Mi Ra have talked about it. “These are the remaining amount I owe her for the hours she has been spending here.” He sighed, “aishh that girl--coming here right after working at somebody's house. She helped to iron customers’ clothes for me. I told her I would lend her money to pay her debt, but that stubborn girl," he stopped to chuckle and shook his head slowly before continuing, "refusing to accept my help. She said that she would be satisfied with her own self if she could settle the debts by her own efforts. You, of all, know how she is, Kyuhyun-ya.. She's just like that" he chuckled again. 

Kyuhyun didn't know what to think. His heart had sunken deep into a trench. Mi Ra was working her off to pay for her debts and there he was giving her a hard time with his ty attitude and shenanigans. Never have he hated himself so much for being such a selfish jerk, what more towards this girl he calls his sunshine. And what if Mi Ra learned that he had helped her to settle the fee once and for all? That would anger her, wouldn't it. That would hurt her pride, wouldn't it? .

***

He swallowed hard.

"I'm so sorry, Kyuhyun ssi. She must have seen the paper on my desk. I-- It really is my fault, shouldn't have-"

"No it's okay. Nara noona. I'm sure you didn't want it to happen either," he calmly replied to her. There really was no use to scold or be angry at the clerk. After thanking her for her cooperation and hitting the 'end call' button, he massaged his temple—what do I do now?

So she knows. That was why she looked like she was holding something in. 

Kyuhyun cringed at the fact how hard she had been trying to suppress her feelings when all he did was questioned why she wouldn't want him to buy their friends lunch. Congratulations for totally ‘understanding' your girlfriend, Cho Kyuhyun.

***

He kicked an innocent pebble near his shoes and it rolled all the way over to the other side of the narrow street--the street where Mi Ra's house was. So he made it there, but didn't quite make it to gather his courage to call her out to see him.

The evening sunlight was slowly degrading and retreated into the horizon. Kyuhyun thought if his brain had frozen along with the freezing air that was slowly swirling around him. He slid both of his gloved-hands under his armpits, where it was warm—the poor boy.

“Kyu?”