Deul

aegis

A week passed by.

Leeteuk cracked the front door open at 4.45am coming back from his night shift at the hospital and observed the condition of the place six people, three dogs, a cat, and a turtle call home.

A good number of coffee-stained lecture notes were found scattered on the floor, flipping slightly a little once the breeze from outside blew in. He chuckled at the sight of his two juniors, who he had come to accept them as his dongsaengs. Both of them had a white strip of cloth tied onto their forehead, which had 'hwaiting!" written on them with red ink.

"Well, finals ain't easy guys," he smiled to himself as he closed the sliding door.

It was the week of the final exams indeed.

Successfully passing this would mean that there will be an addition of two more doctors in the house- summing up to all twelve of them.

How can a dozen of healthy male doctors live together? It's the bond between them.

They've been housemates since college and living their dreams of perusing a career in medicine. Even though Leeteuk, Heechul, Sungmin, and Donghae are already practicing and earn a solid amount of income, they vowed to still be together, at least until they get married- which isn't an easy thing to do, since a doctor’s life is really that much hectic, depending a lot on social gatherings or dating agencies to set them up on blind dates.

But it really wasn’t too bad for them living together since working shifts differed, and the apartment was apparently a spacious one. Having all twelve of them gathered at the same time would be a luxury.


In another neighbourhood, the faint sound of a constantly crying three year old echoed through the streets. When all the other houses had their lights either dimmed or completely switched off, a windowsill stood out amongst the rest- boring bright white light into the darkness.

Mi Ra glanced at the clock, 4.50am.

Opened revision books, handwritten notes clipped together, and several highlighter pens were left abandoned on the small study table next to her.

The sound of clear water trickling into a bowl as she squeezed a small towel resonated within the four walls of the small room she rented, upstairs of a double-story house.

"ssshhh..hmmm..." she soothed the fragile little body lying straight on the floor next to her. She gently placed the cool damp towel onto the boy's forehead, making him shudder by the sudden coldness.

"Mi Ra ya.." a seasoned woman settled beside her with another bowl of water. "Leave him to me and go finish your work... or study- whatever it is you are doing," she lovingly shooed her away, causing Mi Ra to just smile quietly and retreated to the corner where her small study table was.

She flipped the pages from the worn-out revision book, the one she bought off from a senior. A hand-me-down. Second hand. ...or was she the third owner?

She didn't mind though, living her life like this, because things are going to change- if she does well in the finals.

She flipped to a page with an anatomy of a male on one side of the page.

 

"The term heartfelt originated from Aristotle's philosophy that the heart collected sensory input from peripheral organs through the blood vessels. It was from those perceptions that thoughts and emotions rose."

 

Tch.. She tapped the back of her pen repeatedly, thinking that the side note was a little cheesy to make it into the book "The Cardiovascular System", and stopped tapping once her brain decided to take a trip down the memory lane- revisiting the happenings of last week, when her heart beat went up a notch, having her eyes met with the owner of the Siberian Husky dog at the laundry shop, where she works as a part-timer.

Heartfelt? Was that heartfelt happening?

His gaze was so intense, she actually still remembered it- vividly. He seemed kind, perhaps a little bit funny, but something just seemed to separate him from other guys she had seen. What is it..

Her grandmother glanced her way as she struggled to stand up. A smile curled upon her old and now wrinkled lips, as she slowly shook her head, making way for the kitchen, leaving a dazing Mi Ra, now tapping the bottom of her pen on her chin.

What is it.. She asked herself again, searching for an unnecessary answer and jolted at the sound of her grandmother clearing as loud as possible.

She giggled, thinking how could she possibly allow herself to drift away, thinking about a boy, at the midst of an important-- no, crucial moment of her life, the final exams week.

"No distractions~" she sung and continued taking down notes during the last hour she has, before leaving for her university.

 

Kyuhyun ran his fingers through his hair, tugging it towards the end.

Argh.. What's the name of the third test for autoimmune disease..

He silently cursed the overly-strong macchiato for not serving its purpose last night. He continued softly tugging his hair when he spots something familiar- from a distance, about ten rows away from him, but on the same axis, he recognized the snoozing girl. She had her head rested on the desk, still grasping onto her blue pen. It seemed like she had fallen asleep.

Mi Ra...?

Just the sight of her made Kyuhyun smiled. In that clumsy looking posture, a smile, too, surfaced upon her rosy lips. Sweet dreams?...Kyuhyun thought.

God help me she's just breathtaking..

 

"Candidates, half an hour to go before the..bla..bla.."

 

At that moment, the name of the third test for autoimmune diseases popped into his head and he immediately wrote it down.

3. Erythrocyte sedimentation rate [ESR]

Done.. He flexed the muscles on his poor shoulders for they have been sore- bearing stress and tension throughout the passing two hours. As he stretched his neck, he noticed Mi Ra hadn't move. He blinked his eyes several times, battling with himself if he should do something. Acting on intuition, he raised his hand, asking for permission to go to the restroom. Intentionally, he chose to walk along the row, passing Mi Ra on his way. His hands swiftly moved out from his pockets and--

 

"Aahhssskk.."