A beginning and an end

For the Sake of Friendship

Their middle school graduation was coming up and Myungsoo, being the highest of the batch, was very busy. The teachers are pestering him to attend all the entrance exams and interviews to different high profile high schools. They keep saying that it was for the school’s reputation and all. He had no other choice but to follow.

And all these things kept him away from Byunghun.

He hasn’t even had a decent conversation with Byunghun. Their conversations were always cut short by Myungsoo’s responsibilities as the top honor student.

Myungsoo was so worried of Byunghun. Someone might suddenly bully Byunghun again and Byunghun had no other friends, so he’s alone right now.

Alone eating lunch, alone walking home. These thoughts made Myungsoo very worried.

It got to the point where he can’t take it anymore so he decided to meet Byunghun right after his examination finishes.

He sent Byunghun a simple text message, telling him to meet him at the examination hall. Byunghun replied with a simple yes.

 

 

After the examination, they went straight to Myungsoo’s place. They played video games and Byunghun decided to stay for the night for it was too late to go home.

They just lay in the bed and had the conversation they didn’t have for a while.

“Time sure goes fast. It seems like yesterday, when we were still preparing to attend our fist day in middle school. Now, were preparing for our middle school graduation.”

“Yeah. Time goes very fast.” Byunghun replied.

Myungsoo smiled.

“Anyway, what’s your plan for high school? I don’t see you taking entrance exams for high school.”

Byunghun sighed.

“I don’t know yet. I’ll just choose some random high school with no entrance exam. How about you, what will you choose? I think you took a hundred entrance exams already.”

Myungsoo giggled.

“I don’t know yet too. But I’m actually planning on going to the same high school with you.”

Byunghun frowned.

“Why?”

“Someone might bully you again if I’m not there with you.”

“But I don’t want to be a hindrance to your future. Just choose a school that’ll be good for you.”

“No, its fine, I just want to stay with you.”

Byunghun smiled.

“Fine, if that’s what you want. It’s not like I can do anything about it.”

Myungsoo smiled.

“It’s because you’re special to me.”

“You’re a special friend to me too.”

 

 

 

Friend.

That’s how you see me.

A friend. A special friend.

I don’t know but that word hurts me.

It hurts me a lot.

 

 

 

The day of their graduation came.

Everyone was happy.

The parents were all happy for their children for making it through middle school without getting into trouble, the teachers were all happy for their students for not failing their subjects and expectations, and of course, the students were happy for finally finishing middle school.

It was a perfect day.

Being the first of the bunch, Myungsoo was required to deliver speech.

“Hey Myungsoo!”

Byunghun approached him.

“Byunghun!”

Myungsoo waved. He noticed the he was with his father so he bowed too.

“Hello, Mr. Lee.”

Byunghun’s father smiled in return.

“Are you ready for your speech?” Byunghun asked.

“Yeah.” Myungsoo replied.

“All students please sit. The program will soon start.” The teacher announced. The students obeyed and took their seats.

The program started. There were a lot of speeches from different important people, all saying the same things. After like 5 people or so, Myungsoo’s turn finally arrived.

Myungsoo stood up and went up the stage.

“Honorable guest speakers, teachers, parents, fellow students, good day.

Today is a very special day for all of us. Today is a day of an end and a beginning.

Middle school is the bridge between childhood and adulthood. It’s place where we enjoy the life of a young adult, old enough to experience the things that we dream on our childhood, but young  enough to get away from responsibilities. It is the time where we still have choices if we would face the problem, or just leave it behind. It is the time to try everything out and learn from our mistakes.

Middle school prepares us to the cruel truth of adulthood. It gives us the taste of the bitterness that will face us once we leave this pace.

This day is end of our childhood. Although our childhood ended a long time ago, this is the day where we accept it. The time where we will finally knew that we are not a child anymore.

This day is the beginning of a new life, the day where we’ll be reborn into a person who is ready to face problems on their own, which are not totally dependent on their parents.

Let’s all look ahead and face the future. Let’s not run away, and hug the future with open arms.

Thank you, and good evening.”

Everyone clapped and cheered. Myungsoo just smiled and went back to his sit.

The program ended and everyone still had their smiles plastered on their faces.

Almost all the students had flowers on their hands, while being hugged by their parents. Everyone left the hall satisfied.

Myungsoo approached Byunghun and hugged him.

“Congratulations.”

Byunghun hugged back.

“Congratulations to you too.”

 

 

 

This is the end of another chapter of our life.

I faced many hardships and realized many things in this chapter.

I laughed, I cried, but the most important thing is I loved.

I can’t wait to start another chapter.

Another chapter that has Byunghun in it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoo...nothing much here. But I think I might introduce a new main character next chapter... Watch out for them...*winks*