(KxZ)

And In Those Numbered Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day: FIVE

Kim Jongin's Studio, South Korea 10:49 A.M.

For at first it started out as quiet boring hours then succeeded by its contrast of bets fueled by stubborn prides. That was how Kim Zai had ended up tapping her fingers trying to get a girl group’s dance rhythm with Jongin peeking glances at her; a sly smile playing on his slips. Just short stolen glances though, he couldn’t lose to the bet as well; he had to practice his own vocals.

It had been a normal day at Jongin’s practice room. Both were practicing their hardest; on their own accord of course. With their backs turned against each other, music blasting through their respective earplugs. However, the little devil of a dancer decided that it was time for break as well as the perfect time to put his brilliant plan into action.

“You know, you should practice your dance abilities as well Zai. Who knows maybe the judges will ask for that as a tie breaker? Heck, I bet you don’t even know a dance routine” he snorted, sly smirk appearing on his lips when she stopped singing, clearly irritated. 

Zai turned around with a wry one in return, “And I bet you couldn’t even sing a single octave. Don’t even try; you’ll waste such good mirrors.”

“Challenge accepted. An hour from now, I guess we’ll see that won’t we? Hwaiting!” he pumped his fist mockingly at her before turning around.

Dancer Zai~ Has a nice ring to it. Jongin chuckled while scanning his ipod for a song to amaze his competitor.

 

 Aiisshh..She hissed as she missed a step, a tad too late. Zai had no dance experience and had never taken any dance classes; heck it was her first time searching up SNSD on youtube for her to practice on. That cocky bastard was clearly getting on her nerves. Then again, she can’t help but think that he might have a point.

Damn why are these girls shaking their asses so much. She sighed and proceeded to try it on her own; on her own non-existent ones.

Sowoneul friggin malhaebwa.

“Ten minutes~” Jongin sang while tapping his non-existent wrist watch. He finished early since he was already familiar with the song and only had to adjust the key to his voice.

Hmmm, isn’t this too unfair though? He contemplated at his clear advantage over her.

Naah, I bet she practiced loads before. Then again, most girls are obsessed with girl groups nowadays - she’s already familiar with it herself. He finally nodded deciding the fair bet.

Zai turned around, taking a long deep breath. She perfected it; technically of course, without the cutesy useless fan service. And was dead tired.

“Don’t be a douche and say ladies first, alright? Let me see some amazing mirror breaking-singing” she laughed tepidly. She was still catching her breath after all, that’ll buy time.

She watched Jongin take a deep breath as well with eyes closed; when he opened them, he smiled. A warmer one compared to his signature smirk he always did before he danced. One that suited him better, she decided but kept to herself.

He sang a ballad by TVXQ which made Zai unconsciously shut her eyes to focus on nothing else but the melody. It was lower than the original but not off-key; a raspy texture of tones playing in his voice as if he’s saying them more vehemently than a song could express. He couldn’t reach the high notes, he didn’t even try. He already knew what he was capable of and it seemed so simple and effortless.

“Hey, no dreaming of me. Nothing beats the real thing right here” he chuckled cutting Zai of her trance. She scoffed and shuffled into position to hide her embarrassment.

“You’re right, boring things make me sleepy” she shrugged and got the player ready. She took a deep breath like she always did; and aimed to do her best --like she always did.

I’m never doing this again.

As the SNSD song blasted through the small speakers, her mind was extra alert. As a singer with an almost flawless hearing, she didn’t miss a beat. She danced her best and hopefully her last. Jongin smiled, and chuckled softly; one muffled by the blaring speakers.

And I keep forgetting that she really isn’t most girls. He could see the way she was silently counting, how she kept foc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter