Taboo - Chapter 2

Taboo

He stood at the entrance of the convenience store with slight hesitation.  He glanced back behind his shoulder at the group of youths waiting on the other side of the street.  They watched him with anticipation.  He could not help but feel nervous.  He had never done anything like this before but he knew he could not back away.

Taking a deep breath he entered the store.  He walked through the isles, glancing about the place.  The store attendant was busy with a customer at the counter an d there were no other customers.  This was his chance.  He quickly reached for the candy bars on the shelf and slipped them inside his jacket.  When he glanced over at the counter and noticed that the store attendant was still busy with the customer, he immediately headed for the exit.

Upon reaching outside, he breathed a sigh of relief.  He glanced back at the store and swallowed his guilt before crossing the road to where the group of youths were waiting.

A man walked by and noticed the group of boys in school uniform surrounding another boy dressed in the same uniform.  At first, the man had thought that the boy was being bullied by the group until he realised that they were laughing and patting the boy on the back.  They seemed to be congratulating the boy who looked out of place amongst the other boys.  He wondered why the boy who seemed to have a gentle demeanor would be hanging around with a rough looking group.

"Hey!" a voice called out.  "What are you looking at old man?"

The man was startled when he noticed that the group had turned their attention on him.  They looked like trouble and he would rather not get involved.  The man tried to walk on but soon found himself surrounded.  He let out a sigh of resignation.  He knew that this was not going to end well.

"It's getting late.  Shouldn't you boys be heading home?" the man asked.

The boys glared at him.  "Who are you to tell us what to do?"

The man glanced at the group.  "Your parents would be worried," he added, his eyes landing on the boy who stood back from the group.

"What's it to you?"one of the youths asked.  "You should mind your own business."

Without warning, a fist connected with his face.  The man lost his balance from the impact and stumbled to the ground.  Before the man had a chance to recollect himself, the youths searched his pockets.  He figured that there was no point in fighting back.  If he let them take what they want then they would leave and that would be the end of it.

The youths finally took off with the man's wallet while he picked himself up.  He touched his cheek where a slight bruise had started to form.

"Kids," he muttered to himself while shaking his head.

He looked at the boys running off in the distance.  He did not give chase and did not think that it was worth it.  The only thing he thought of was that he would have to cancel his credit cards before the boys go on a spending spree.  

He was surprised when one of the boys stopped running.  The boy turned his head and glanced back.  The man recognised him as the boy whom he had thought was being bullied by the group.  When their eyes met, the boy quickly turned around and followed his friends into the distance.

The man let out a disappointed sigh and continued on his way.