Taboo - Chapter 3

Taboo

"Sunggyu, what happened to you?" he heard a voice call out the second he entered the bar.

He sighed and walked up to the bar where the owner stood behind the counter.  He glanced to the side and noticed the regular customer sitting a few seats down.  The customer looked at him with curious eyes.  Sunggyu smiled and nodded his head politely.  The customer turned his attention back to the young bartender who was mixing his drink behind the counter.

The owner looked at the bruise on Sunggyu's face and frowned.  "I know it's very unlike you, but did you get into a fight or something?"

Sunggyu sat down and sighed.  "Dongwoo, you know me better than that."

The owner shrugged.  "I know that you know that I know that you're not one to get into fights so how did you get that?" he asked, indicating to the bruise on Sunggyu's face.

"I was mugged," Sunggyu informed quietly.

Dongwoo's eyes widened in surprise.  "What?  Did you report it to the police?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "There's no need for that.  It was just a bunch of kids."

"You may be lucky this time that it's nothing serious but what if they had weapons?" Dongwoo scolded.  "You should be more careful."

Sunggyu knew his friend was only scolding him because he was worried.  "I know, I will but for now you'll have to let me put a drink on the tab."

Dongwoo immediately placed a glass down in front of Sunggyu and filled it up.  "It's on the house."


After having spent all the cash last night from the wallet that they had in their possession, the leader of the group of boys tossed the wallet into a bin as they passed.  The credit cards were now useless.

"Damn that old man!" the leader cursed.  "I thought we could have some fun today too but he sure was quick to cancel those cards.  Lets go find some easy targets."

The group followed the leader as they went on the prowl while one boy stopped and glanced at the bin.


He walked along the street and read the names of the stores as he passed.  He glanced back at the business card in his hand and continued on until he caught sight of the store up ahead.  He looked up at the signage and knew that he had come to the right place.  The glass windows displayed various antique pieces, which he figured came with a hefty price tag despite it's aged appearance.

He peered through the glass door and saw many more pieces on display.  He did not see anyone inside the store despite the open sign on the door.  He wondered if an antique owner would leave his store unattended like this.

Taking his chances, he pushed the door open and stepped inside.  The minute he did so, the sound of a bell rang out, followed by footsteps approaching from the back of the store.  The ringing startled him.  He quickly turned to walk back out but a loud crash had him stopped in his steps.  His face fell when he turned back to find a smashed vase on the floor which he had accidentally knocked over.  He glanced up at the owner.  He wondered what to do and contemplated making a run for it but he could not bring himself to do so.

The owner looked at the smashed vase on the floor and then looked up at the boy dressed in a familiar school uniform.  He was surprised when he recognised the boy from last night.  He wondered why the boy did not run when he had the chance until he saw the boy's guilt ridden face.

Maybe he's not such a bad kid after all.