Taboo - Chapter 5

Taboo

It was rather quiet at the antique store.  After all, how many people can afford a $20,000 vase?  The lack of customers however did not seem to bother the owner who was rather occupied at the back of the store.  Curious as to what the man was doing, Woohyun decided to find out.

The door to the back room was opened.  Woohyun stood to the side and peered in.  He saw the owner looking at a lump of smashed pieces on the table.  Woohyun soon realised that the pieces were that of the vase which he had smashed yesterday.  He saw the owner let out a sigh.  A wave of guilt swept over Woohyun when he saw the disappointed look on the owner's face.  He stood and watched as the owner examined the pieces while sighing.


"Thank you for your hard work," said Sunggyu when closing time came round.

Woohyun frowned.  "You don't have to thank me," he replied, feeling a little uneasy upon hearing the owner thanking him.  "It's my fault to begin with."

Sunggyu smiled.  "Come on, it's dark.  Let me give you a ride home."

Woohyun shook his head and declined the offer.  "It's fine.  I can walk.  I'll see you tomorrow."


Woohyun was walking home when he noticed his group of friends waiting for him up ahead.  He was reluctant to approach them but he knew he could not hide from them.

"So that old man is the owner of an antique store," said the leader with a smile.  "He must be loaded.  Looks like you found yourself a nice target.  "

Woohyun seemed troubled.  He did not want them to find out but it was too late now.  "It's not like that," he tried to explain.  "I-"

"And when were you going to tell us about him?" the leader questioned.  "Or were you planning on keeping him to yourself?"

Woohyun shook his head.  "I accidentally knocked over a vase yesterday so I'm just working to pay it back."

The leader smiled.  "Perfect.  I'm sure that place must be filed with valuable things and since you work there, taking one or two things shouldn't be a problem, right?"

Woohyun understood what the leader wanted him to do and he did not like it.  "No," he replied sternly, much to the group's surprise.  Woohyun knew the consequences of what he was about to do but he was willing to accept him.  "I won't do that."

The leader narrowed his eyes.  "Say that again," he dared.

Woohyun looked at the leader.  "I won't do-"

Before Woohyun could finish his sentence, the leader swung his fist at Woohyun, striking him hard across the face.  The force of the fist caused Woohyun to stumble to the ground.

"You sure have guts for a new kid," said the leader.  "I'll show you what happens when you defy me."


Sunggyu sighed while seated at his usual spot at the counter.  He glanced at the regular customer sitting at the bar counter being served by the bartender.  The owner noticed Sunggyu's gaze.

"He's been coming here regularly," said Dongwoo.  "Maybe he's got the hots for Sungjong."

A brief smiled appeared on Sunggyu's face when he heard Dongwoo's comment but the smile was soon replaced by another sigh.

Dongwoo filled up Sunggyu's almost empty glass.  "What's wrong now?  Did you get into another fight with some kids again?"

Sunggyu looked at his friend disapprovingly.  "How old do you think I am to go and pick fights with kids?"

Dongwoo shrugged.  "Maybe you got bored of staring at those old statues and things."

"They're antique," Sunggyu corrected him.  "And I lost $70,000 yesterday."

"Didn't know you gambled," Dongwoo joked.

"It was a sold vase," Sunggyu explained.  "The buyer was going to pick it up in a few days but now it's in pieces."

"You're getting clumsy in your old age," Dongwoo teased.  "Going around knocking things over in your own store."

Sunggyu simply smiled.


After a couple of drinks, Sunggyu made his way home.  Walking past an alley, he heard sounds of people fighting.  Not wanting to get involved he walked on until he heard a name.

"Hey, get up, Woohyun.  I'm not finished with you yet."

"He's not moving.  Do you think he's dead?"

"!  Let's get out of here!"

Sunggyu rushed back to the alley just in time to see the group of youths run off in the other direction leaving behind an unmoving figure on the ground.