Taboo - Chapter 16

Taboo

It had been 15 minutes since Sunggyu had been gone.  Woohyun was starting to get worried.  He wondered where the older could have gone or if anything had happened to him.  He was getting tired of the waiters coming to refill his drink the second his glass was half empty.  While waiting for Sunggyu, a terrible thought crossed his mind.  What if Sunggyu had abandoned him?

Just as he thought this, a waiter came up to him and handed him a little note.  "A message for you, Sir."

"Thank you."  Woohyun read the message written on the card Woohyun and immediately got up from his seat.  He wondered if this was the surprise Sunggyu was talking about.


A short while later, Sunggyu returned to the restaurant carrying a birthday cake box.  He frowned a little when he did not see Woohyun sitting at the table.  Granted, the trip took him longer due to traffic but he was hoping that Woohyun had not grown sick of waiting and left.  Just as he was about to call one of the waiters over to ask, he noticed a note on the table.


Woohyun climbed the stairs leading up to the roof top of the high rise building.  "Sunggyu?" he called out as he glanced about the empty space.

When he heard footsteps approaching from behind, he quickly turned around, expecting to see Sunggyu but he was shocked by the sight that greeted him.  The masked attacker struck his sword at Woohyun who was lucky to evade the otherwise lethal blade when he stumbled to the ground.

"Who are you?" Woohyun asked while trying to back away from his attacker.

The masked figure did not respond, instead advanced on Woohyun, preparing to strike his sword once again.

"Woohyun!" a familiar voice called out.

Just as the blade lowered down towards him, Woohyun felt strong arms wrapped around his body and pushed him to the ground.  He heard the sound of fabric tearing as the blade tore into flesh but it was not his flesh.  He looked at the person lying on top of him and his eyes widened in horror.

Seeing the scene before him, the masked figure disappeared from sight.

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun called out when he saw blood gushing out from the deep gash across the older man's back.


Woohyun sat anxiously outside the emergency room, blaming himself that Sunggyu was hurt.  He glanced at Sunggyu's phone in his hand.  He had to notify Sunggyu's family but he did not know who to call.  He checked Sunggyu's recent calls and  dialled the number.


"What?" Dongwoo exclaimed after listening to the rather frantic voice on the other line.  "I'll be right there."  He hung up the phone and turned to look at Sungjong who was busy pouring a drink for their regular customer at the other end of the counter.  "It's Sunggyu.  He's in the hospital.  I'm going to see him.  Look after the place."


Dongwoo arrived at the hospital and saw a boy pacing anxiously outside the emergency room.  He noticed the phone the boy was holding in his hand and figured that this was the boy that had called him. 

"Woohyun?" Dongwoo called out just to make sure that he had the right person.

Woohyun looked at the man dressed in the black and white bartender uniform.

Just as they were about to engage in conversation, the emergency light switched off and a surgeon stepped out.


The sound of a slap echoed across the room.  "You failed me.  Must I do everything myself?"