Taboo - Chapter 8

Taboo

For once in his life, Woohyun was eager to get out of class.  When the final bell rang at the end of the day, he quickly gathered his books and bag and rushed out the door.  

He hurried along the streets until he came to the familiar antique shop.  He did not understand it himself why he was so anxious to come to a place he had no interest in and spend time with a man he hardly knew.

He took a deep breath and stepped inside the door.  The familiar sound of the bell immediately rang out.  He was expecting the owner to emerge from the back room but was surprised to hear voices coming from that direction.

Sunggyu lowered his head apologetically.  "The $70,000 has been refunded.  I'm terribly sorry about this, Mr Choi."

An older man in a grey suit sighed in disappointment upon seeing the broken pieces of the vase.  "What a pity.  I would have loved to add that to my collection."

"I'm so sorry about this," Sunggyu apologised again.

"There's no need to keep apologising.  Just be sure to let me know when you get another rare item in,"  said the man.

"Of course," Sunggyu replied.

"But Sunggyu," the man added.  "I've never known you to be so careless to destroy your own collection."

After the man took his leave, Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun who was standing by the back room door.  Sunggyu figured that from the look on Woohyun's face, that the boy had heard the conversation.

"That vase was worth $70,000?" Woohyun asked in disbelief, realising how great of a problem he had caused.

"The matter's been settled," said Sunggyu, not wanting to discuss the topic.

Woohyun bit his lips, looking emotional.  "It was my fault.  Why didn't you tell him that I broke it?  I made you lose so much money."

Sunggyu was surprised to see the boy on the verge of tears.  "Isn't that why you're going to work for me until you pay it off?" Sunggyu asked, trying to lighten up the situation.  "Everyday after school, you have to come to this boring place and keep this old man company.  That's your punishment."

"It's not boring," Woohyun interjected much to Sunggyu's surprise.


When closing time came around, Woohyun waited until Sunggyu had finished locking up before taking his leave. 

"Woohyun!" Sunggyu called out to him.  "Let me take you home."


Sunggyu pulled by the side of the road and looked at the row of rundown houses further up ahead.

"Here is fine," said Woohyun, getting out of the car.  "It won't be good if he sees you."

Before Sunggyu could ask what Woohyun meant, the boy closed the car door and hurried off.  Sunggyu waited until Woohyun disappeared inside one of the old houses before driving off.


Sunggyu had just stepped out of the shower with hair still dripping wet when he heard a knock at his door.  He quickly put on his bathrobe and got out of the bathroom.  Upon opening the door, his eyes widened in shock.  Woohyun stood at the door clutching his chest.  There were fresh bruises on the boy's face and blood trickling down the side of his mouth.

"Woohyun?" Sunggyu quickly pulled the boy inside.  "What happened?  Who did this to you?"

"I'm sorry," Woohyun cried.  "I have nowhere else to go."