Taboo - Chapter 11

Taboo

Woohyun glanced at the clock on the wall and sighed.  It had been several hours since Sunggyu went out.  He wondered where the older man had gone at this time of the night.  It was getting late and he was getting tired but he was determined to wait until the Sunggyu came back.  He remained sitting on the sofa in the lounge.  There was total silence.  The television had long been switched off.  There was nothing for him to do except to continue waiting for the older man to return.

He glanced about the room and noticed the shelf full of books.  He decided to have a browse and see what kind of books the older man was reading.  Woohyun flipped through the pages of the thick books and found it to be an antique collector's book of various valuable items.  He smiled.  He should have known what Sunggyu's interest was.

Woohyun flipped through several more pages before deciding to close the book.  Just as he did, something slipped out from the back page and dropped to the floor.  He bent down to pick it up and flipped the paper over.  It was a photo of Sunggyu standing beside a rather handsome young man who was clinging to his arm.  They were both smiling happily.  


When Sunggyu arrived home and stepped in the door, he was surprised to find that Woohyun was still up.  The boy was busy looking at something in his hand that he had not realised the Sunggyu had returned.

"Woohyun, why are you still up?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun was startled to hear Sunggyu's voice that he dropped the photo in his hand.  He immediately bent down to pick up the photo but Sunggyu had beaten him to it.

"What were you looking at?" Sunggyu asked as he flipped the photo over.  His eyes widened when he saw what Woohyun was looking at.  He was sure he had gotten rid of everything and yet a photo remained to remind him.  "Where did you find this?"

Woohyun was taken aback by the older man's reaction.  Perhaps he had delved into something he should not have.  "I...it fell out from one of your books."

Sunggyu's eyes narrowed as he looked at the photo.

Woohyun knew what the answer might be but he had to know.  "Who is that?"

Sunggyu glanced up from the photo and looked at Woohyun.  "No one."

Woohyun frowned, knowing that that was a lie.  "Was he your-"

"It has nothing to do with you!" Sunggyu snapped angrily and walked off to his room, slamming the door shut.


Sunggyu awoke the next morning with a headache.  Normally he would only have one or two drinks a night but last night was an exception.  He glanced at the clock on his bedside table and quickly got out of bed.

When breakfast was ready, he walked to Woohyun's room and knocked on the door.  Normally Woohyun would have woken up by now but he figured that the boy must have stayed up late last night.

"Woohyun," he called out.  "Time to get up for school."  He waited for a response but when there was none, he knocked again.  "Woohyun."

Finally, he opened the door and entered.  He stepped inside the room and was surprised to find that it was empty.  He wondered if Woohyun was in the bathroom.  Just as he turned to walk out, he noticed an object on the bedside table.  It was the spare key that he had given to the boy.