Taboo - Chapter 10

Taboo

Sunggyu made sure to wake up early the next morning and prepared breakfast for the both of them.  By the time Woohyun woke up, breakfast was ready.

"Come have breakfast," said Sunggyu.  "Then I'll take you to school."

Woohyun obliged and took a seat at the table.

Sunggyu handed the boy a spare key to his apartment.  "You can stay here as long as you like."


Each day at school, Woohyun would wish for it to pass by quickly.  When the final bell went, he would make his way to the antique store where he knew the older man would be.  That would spend the evening together in the store with Sunggyu  cleaning up some pieces he had acquired while Woohyun watched.

It soon became a habit that they would have dinner together after the store closed.  Most of the time they would return to the apartment where Sunggyu would cook for the both of them with Woohyun not being of much help in the kitchen.  Sunggyu did not seem to mind it.  On the contrary, he enjoyed spending time with the boy.


When Sunggyu came out from the shower, he found Woohyun in the lounge room on the sofa with the television on.  At first, he thought that the boy was watching whatever it was on screen but upon closer inspection, he found the boy sleeping with head tilted back against the sofa.  He stood and watched the boy for a moment, admiring the boy's serene sleeping face.

Unconsciously, Sunggyu reached a hand out towards Woohyun's face but he stopped himself just before his hand came in contact with the boy.  He quickly retracted his hand as Woohyun opened his eyes.

"I'm going out for a bit," said Sunggyu, avoiding the boy's eyes.  "It's late.  You should go to bed first."

Woohyun frowned a little.  "Where are you going?"

Sunggyu disappeared out the door without responding.


"Where have you been these days?" Dongwoo asked when Sunggyu showed up at his bar.

Sunggyu took a seat at the counter and sighed.  "What should I do?"

Dongwoo looked at his friend's troubled face and figured that something was wrong.  "What's wrong now?" he asked, pouring Sunggyu his usual drink.  "Did you break another vase?  How much did you lose this time?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "I've done something that I swore I would never do again."

Dongwoo raised his eyebrows, waiting for Sunggyu to continue.

Sunggyu sighed hesitantly before confessing.  "I think I've fallen in love-"

Dongwoo's eyes lit up.  "I'll get the champagne," Dongwoo interjected before Sunggyu could even finish.  "Sungjong, we're having a party."

The young bartender who was serving the regular customer at the other end of the counter turned to look at Dongwoo with a confused expression.

"With someone half my age," Sunggyu added.

Dongwoo stopped trying to open the champagne bottle and looked at Sunggyu with a concerned look.  "Sunggyu-"

Sunggyu smiled bitterly knowing what Dongwoo wanted to say.  "Tell me, what should I do?"