Taboo - Chapter 4

Taboo

The owner sighed as he looked at the stunned boy.  "Are you alright?" he asked, much to the boy's surprise.  "Did you hurt yourself anywhere?"

The boy looked confused, wondering why the owner was asking if he was alright rather than scolding him for the broken vase.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to...it was an accident...I...I'll pay for it."

The owner held out his hand.  "That will be $20,000 thank you."

The boy's eyes widened in shock at the price.  "I...I don't have that kind of money."

The owner noticed the troubled look on the boy's face.  "Then I'll have to speak to your parents."

"I don't have them either," said the boy, looking to the ground.

For a moment the owner felt sorry for the boy but he had to teach him a lesson.  "Your guardian then."

The boy looked up, a hint of fear flashed in his eyes.  "Please, I'll do anything."

The owner sighed.  "You know, you shouldn't go around saying you'll do anything.  The world is a dangerous place and never know what people will make you do when you say that but I can guarantee you that it won't be pleasant."

The boy nodded as if understanding the owner's words.

Upon seeing how obedient the boy was, the owner did not want to lecture him any further.

"Where are your friends?" the owner asked.  "Did they put you up to this?"

The boy shook his head.  "I came alone."  He took out the wallet and handed it to the owner.  "I wanted to give this back to you.  The cash is gone."

"Naturally," said the owner.

"But everything else should still be there," the boy added quickly.  "I'm sorry."

The owner smiled.  He was not expecting to see his wallet again but he was still thankful that the boy had returned it.

"As for the vase," said the boy, a little hesitant.  "I can work for you to pay it off.  That is, if you'll let me."

The owner smiled again seeing the boy trying his best to settle the matter.  "As you can see, we don't get a lot of customers so there's not much to do around here..."  His voice softened when he noticed the dejected look on the boy's face.  "Fine, I suppose you can help me tidy up the place."

The boys eyes lit up with hope.

It's alright I suppose, thought the owner.  At least it will keep him out of trouble.


when the final bell rang the next day, the boy quickly gathered up his books and packed his bag.  He was about to head out the door when his friends stopped him.

"Hey Woohyun!  Where are you off to in such a hurry?" the leader of the group asked.

The boy bit his lip hesitantly.  "I'm sorry, I can't come today.  I have to get to work."

"Work?" the group questioned.

The boy nodded and quickly rushed out the door before any of them could say another word.


Sunggyu was in the back of the store when he heard the bell ringing out at the front.  He looked at his watch and smiled.  He came out to the front of the store and was surprised to find the boy standing there.  Truth be told, he was a little skeptical about the whole deal he had made with the boy the day before.  He figured that the boy would agree to anything to avoid getting into trouble so he was not counting on the boy turning up today but it seemed that the boy had proved him wrong.

Woohyun saw the surprised look on the owner's face and wondered if the man had already forgotten what they had spoken about yesterday.  "You told me to come after school," Woohyun reminded him.  "Have you forgotten?"

Sunggyu let out a small chuckle.  "Despite my age, I've still got a good memory," he replied.  "I was just surprised that you actually turned up."

Woohyun seemed a little dejected.  "You...you didn't believe me?" he asked, looking a little hurt.  "Then why did you let me go yesterday?"

"I just thought that you'd rather be with your friends than stuck here in this boring place with an old man like me," replied Sunggyu.  "Even if you didn't turn up, I wouldn't have chased you down."

Woohyun frowned at the owner's words.  "I promised you, didn't I?  Please have a little faith in me."


Outside the store, a group of boys watched from the other side of the street while the two people inside engaged in conversation.