Taboo - Chapter 18

Taboo

Woohyun rushed over to check the nurse on the floor.  She was still breathing but was knocked out cold.  Just as he wondered what had happened, he heard a phone buzzing in his pocket.  It was Sunggyu's phone which he had held on to.  


Woohyun arrived at an old abandoned warehouse as instructed to find an unconscious figure slumped in a wheelchair with head down and a blanket draped over his body.  Woohyun's immediate thought was that it was Sunggyu.  Without a second thought, he rushed over to check on the figure.  

The moment he lifted up the figure's head, his eyes widened in surprise.  The familiar face that stared back at him was not that of Sunggyu's.  Before Woohyun even had time to wonder what was going on, he was caught by surprise when the figure drew out a sword concealed under the blanket and slashed him across the chest.

Woohyun stumbled back in shock as he clutched his bloodied chest.  He looked at the figure.  Confusion etched upon his face as he tried to understand what was going on.

The figure let out an amused laughter as if he could read Woohyun's mind.  "You look so surprised, just like the rest of them" the figure mocked.  "Did you think I wouldn't find out who you really are?"

Without allowing Woohyun a chance to react, the figure rushed towards Woohyun with sword in hand.  He brought the sword down with a mighty swoop, intending to end Woohyun's life but despite bleeding from his wound, Woohyun was able to evade the attack.

A smirk appeared on the figure's face.  "Impressive.  I wouldn't expect anything less from someone like you."

"Why are you doing this?" Woohyun asked.  "Why..."  He stopped when he realised the truth.  "It's not Sunggyu.  It was you."

The figure smiled but did not deny the accusation.  "You wasted your time on the wrong man and yet you kept sending more.  Did you think that the owner of a boring antique store could be the leader of an underground clan?" laughed the figure.  "Trying to get close to him, even playing the part of a harmless school boy.  You people don't know when to give up, even after I sent those warnings."

Woohyun frowned angrily.  "Where's Sunggyu?  What have you done with him?"

The figure simply smiled  provokingly but did not respond.

"Tell me!" Woohyun demanded.

The figure smirked and looked at him.  "Or what?  What are you going to do?"


Sunggyu regained conscious and found himself lying on a bed inside a darkened room.  He tried to recall what had happened.  The last thing he remembered was a figure entering his hospital room, knocking out the nurse before rendering him unconscious with some sort of drug which he was made to inhale.  He glanced around but did not recognise where he was.  He staggered towards the door wondering if he would be able to get out.  Surprisingly, the door was unlocked.

Sunggyu cautiously made his way through the house trying to find out way out.  When he passed the door of another room, he heard a slow continuous beeping sound.  Curious, he reached for the door handle and opened the door.  

Sunggyu's eyes widened in shock.  His heart almost skipped a beat.  There on the bed, hooked up to a life support machine was a figure he never thought he would see again.

"Myungsoo?"