Working Together

Little Red

 

You looked back at the piece of paper he gave you.

“Is this really it?”  You were standing on a trail that led into the woods.  Hugging your sweater closer you started to walk down the dirt trail.  It was really beautiful.  The sun was shining through the tress, flowers were blooming along side the trail, and the birds were chirping happily.  You let your mind wonder off.  You had the nightmare again last night but that wasn’t something new.  You thought back to your ripped up cloak.  It was still sitting on your desk, untouched.  Then you though back to Minhyuk.  Funny how he turned out being Myungsoo’s older brother.  You continued walking thinking about random things when you came upon a grand house. 

The house was sitting on the hill, half of it on the hill half of it rolling down the hill.  It looked like it was made of woods and glass.  Large glass windows covered the walls letting you see into the house.  It was very modern but had a homey feel to it.  In the drive way was multiple cars.  Many were the double the price of your house.  They were so expensive that you were afraid to touch them.  You went around the multitude of cars and up to the doorway.  You stood there for a second, second-guessing yourself whether you should knock or not.  Right as your hand was about to come in contact with the door it flung open. 

“Wow!” you stepped back.  Standing in front of you was a member of Exo-M.  It was Lay. 

“Good morning Haebin-ah.”
“Hi Lay-shi.  Is Kris-shi home?”  You didn’t know that the rest of Exo-M would be with you.  You were getting more nervous by the second. 

“Sure, come in.”  He stepped aside to let you in.  You stepped in shyly and took off your shoes.  He led you into the living room.  It was a beautiful view.  The walls were made up of giant glass windows.  The room was decorated with whites and black with hints of wood and metal.  You wow-ed at the sight.  He silently chuckled and disappeared to find Kris. 

You didn’t notice Lay’s absence and took it upon yourself to look around.  You went up to the window that over looked the woods.  The house was sitting on a hill so you had a clear view of the treetops and the sun glowing brightly over them.  You stood their admiring the view when someone cleared their throat.  You turned around and found Kris standing there.  Leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest, he watched you. 

“Oh!  Hello Kris-shi.  I hope I’m not late.”  You gave him a bow and tried to avoid his gaze. 

“No you’re on time.  Let’s get started.”  He motioned you to follow him as he turned down a hallway.  You scrambled after him.  He went down the hallway and up a flight of stairs before opening a door that led into another room.  Again it was made of glass but on one wall it was had glass mirrors covering it instead.  The floors were cement and there was a stereo system in the corner.  There were also some seat scattered around and a lone guitar resting against the wall.

“This is our hang out room.”  He walked towards one of the chairs and sat down.  You sat down next to him and started to get your supplies out.  As you were you felt his gaze on you.  You looked up and saw him staring at you.  Clearing your throat you awkwardly continued until you had everything ready. 

“Um, aren’t you going to get your supplies?” 

“Oh, yeah.  Stay here and don’t touch anything,” he warned.  He got up and left the room.  While he was gone you started to look around the room.  You got up and out of your seat and stood in front of the guitar.  Biting your lip you reached out your hand to touch it.

“Didn’t I say not to touch anything?” a voice said behind you.  You squeaked and whirled around.  You moved to face for you feet and ended up falling backwards.  You were about to hit the ground when a strong yet warm hand caught you by the waist.  Holding you was Kris.  Your cheeks turned red as you straightened up.

“S-sorry Kris-shi.”  Your voice was a little shaky from both embarrassment and fright.  He just stared at you for a moment before walking back to the chairs.  Taking in a deep breath you did the same. 

Both of you started to work in silence.  It wasn’t a comforting silence like last time, this time it was more…. Awkward.  It was just the two of you in the room together instead of the whole class and the only noise was the sound of turning pages as both of you skimmed through the books.  Still you carried on taking notes in your notebook and adding things to your slide show. 

Kris stop looking at you every now and then.  There was something about you that drew his attention.  You smelled of sweet honeysuckle and that didn’t help anything.  The light from the windows made a halo around your head as you worked.  You looked beautiful.  He was still wondering how he never noticed you before.  He snuck one last gaze before starting his own work.

The rest of Exo-M was hanging out together.  They all knew that you would be over to work with Kris and the night before they didn’t stop teasing him about it.  When you came over they knew you were here right away.  Your sent filled the place.  They sent Lay after you before Kris could get to you.  Now they were just waiting for the both of you to walk back downstairs. 

It was a while before any noise was made between you.  You were so caught up in your research that he had to shake your shoulder to get your attention.

“Haebin,” he said in his deep voice.  You jumped a bit before turning to look at him. 

“Oh, yes?”  ‘Did I do something wrong?’

“Do you want something to eat?” he asked.  You shook your head no when your stomach growled.  You turned red and covered up your stomach with your arms. 

“I think you are,” he chuckled.  He laughed.  The face leader of Exo-M knows how to laugh.  You stared at his smile.  It was beautiful.  It turned his cold eyes into warm welcoming ones.  You let him lead you back downstairs into the living room where he told you to wait.  You did as told this time and stood in front of the windows, looking outside. 

 “Hey guys what that sme- Oh, look who’s here.”  You heard a group of footsteps and turned to see the whole group of Exo-M, minus Kris. 

“Oh!”  You quickly bowed to them.  “Hello.”

“Hey,” one of them said.  The others just looked at you.  You saw a familiar face.  Lay.  You made eye contact and he smiled at you showing off his dimples.  You returned his with your own smile. 

“Hi Haebin-ah.”

“Hello Lay-shi.” 

“When did you two get acquainted?” Xiumin asked.  You only knew him because he had really cute cheeks. 

“We are locker neighbors,” you both say at the same time.  You give each other a look before laughing a bit. 

“I don’t think I’ve ever introduced myself,” a guy with a really nice jaw line stepped forward.  “My name is Chen, and can I say you have a beautiful smile?”  He gives you a kiss on your hand before smiling up at you.  You blush and try not to make eye contact.

“T-thank you.  My na-name is Haebin.”  You curse yourself for stuttering. 

“Look you got her all flustered.”  Some of them chuckle as you just stand there.  ‘Why are they talking to me?  They never do at school so why are they now?’

“Haebin, are you wearing perfume?” Chen asks. 

“No, why?”  You send a confused look towards him.

“Just wondering.”  He flashes you a smile before you break contact.  Just then, Kris comes in.  ‘She smells like honeysuckle. 

“Why are you all here?” he asks with his eyebrows raised. 

“We were talking to Haebin!” Xiumin chirped.  Then he saw what Kris was holding.  In his hands was a plate of Oreo cookies and two glasses of milk.  He made a reach for it only to be turned away.

“Not so fast.  Go get your own if you want some.”  Kris walked over to you and handed you a glass of milk.  You took it in your hands and took a sip before grabbing a cookie.

“So you get food for her, but you won’t get food for your hyung?  I see how it is,” he sulks.  You slightly choke on your mild.

“Excuse me Xiumin-shi.  Did you just say hyung?” 

“Yep.  I am the oldest after all,” he says proudly.  You swear your eyes were the size of dinner plates. 

“I always thought you were one of the younger ones in your group.”  You were dumbfounded.  They all snickered, except for Xiumin of course.

“Why does everyone say that?” he whines. 

“Maybe it’s because you act like that,” the really scary one says.  He was Tao.  He scared you the most out of all of them.  He just looked so… menacing. 

“Well, what are you two doing?” 

“Kris-shi and I were working on our project.”

“Are you guys working in the hang out room?” baby face guy asked.  You nodded your head.  You thought back to the guitar you saw and it peaked your curiosity.

“If you don’t mind me asking, who plays the guitar?”  You looked at each of them trying to guess who would play the instrument.  Lay sheepishly raised his hand.  Your eyes sparkled.  In this small town not many people knew how to play guitar.

“Do you play guitar Haebin?”  He was really curious.  He wanted to know if you could actually play or not.  You shyly nodded your head. 

“Play me a song.”  You really didn’t want to.  You were scared you were going to mess up and knowing you, you probably will.  You started to shake your head.

“Oh come on.  Just one piece.”  Hesitating, you slowly nodded your head.

“Everyone up to the hang out room!”  Soon you were pushed to the front of everyone and was standing with the guitar Lay lent you.  You bit your bottom lip and took in a deep breath.  ‘You can do this.’  Then you started to play.

You fingers danced up and down the neck of the guitar as your fingers plucked the strings gracefully.  You didn’t miss a note throughout the whole song.  You played with your eyes closed feeling the music and playing the familiar notes.  Once you were done you opened your eyes.  All of them were staring at you. 

“What?”  They continued to stare. 

“That was…. Amazing,” Lay said breathlessly.  ‘She is amazing.’

“Wow.”  Chen was blown away.  He didn’t know what to say.

“I would clap but that would do you no justice.”  Xiumin couldn’t comprehend what he just saw. 

“You guys are acting like you haven’t seen anyone play guitar.”  Yes Luhan was impressed but he didn’t want you to know it. 

“Luhan don’t be rude.”  There was something about you that drew Kris in.  He didn’t want Luhan to scare you away. 

“No it’s all right.  I know I’m not that good but thank you.”  You were still staring at the ground playing with the hem of your shirt.  You weren’t used to this.  The only people who complemented you on your guitar skills were your parents. 

“Well, we should get back to working.”  Kris made everyone leave as you put the guitar away.  

Both of you continued to work like before.  In silence.  This time it was more comfortable though.  You continued working until late at night.  Kris looked over towards you.  You had fallen asleep with your laptop on your lap and your head lying at an uncomfortable angle.  He didn’t have the heart to wake you up so instead he packed your things up and lifted you up bridal style.  He carried you down the stares and into his own room.  He placed you on his bed and your stuff by the door.  He looked at you one last time before walking out.  ‘Why did I just do that?’

 

 

----------------------------

Sorry for not updating T-T really busy but keep telling me to update because it makes me write faster ^^

Song - For You by Sungha Jung