Chapter 10

To be continued...

EDITED!!! 


 

I have been thinking… a lot. Maybe we should break-up.”
 
Sungjong looked at Myungsoo who furrowed his eyebrows trying to digest what Sungjong had said. “Sungjong stop joking around. It’s not funny.” Myungsoo was in denial, he shook that silly thought away and looked at Sungjong’s eyes to see if he saw if he was joking but only identified the serious look in his eyes. Myungsoo was at loss of words, he stared at Sungjong,

“Sungjong I know I love you, this isn’t some high school romance, nor a childhood love story. We’re soon going to graduate and go off to university. Together.”

“Hyung, what are you talking about?” Sungjong was heartbroken when he heard Myungsoo say the three words that weakened him.
 
 

I love you.

 

Sungjong has heard those words many times; from his parents, his brother and sister, and his friends. He detested those words, whenever someone would say that to him, he would think of it as just another word that didn’t have a meaning. People today would just casually say it without adding feelings but why does it hurt so much when Myungsoo said those words to him.

“Love. How do you know that you’re in love? We’re not in love hyung, we’re only high schoolers that’s not ready for the harsh reality but what can we do?” Sungjong hates this feeling. The feeling of having to face the real world too early again, he wishes he can just enjoy the world where he can be happy without society interrupting but his wishes were lost somewhere and he can’t find it anymore. Sungjong was snapped out of his thoughts when he felt a drop of drop of water land on his nose.

Great! How cliché, Myungsoo thought. The two was engulfed with silence for a while lost in thoughts, the soothing raindrops falling in the background. One thinking why? While the other thinking about how to wake up from this nightmare called reality. It started raining and both Myungsoo and Sungjong felt that this rain depicted what they both want to do right now. Myungsoo was the first to crack from the silence and started to sob, the first time he ever shed a tear. Sungjong was surprised when Myungsoo cried, the latter came closer and looked at Sungjong in the eye. Please don’t, Sungjong thought and panicked as he closed his eyes, Myungsoo leaned closer and closed the distance between his lips and Sungjong’s.

Sungjong loved the feeling of Myungsoo’s lips against his but he knew that it was going to be the last time he’ll ever feel them.

With enough strength and courage he pushed Myungsoo and ran. He ran in the rain, something he used to do with Myungsoo every time they walk home together. Myungsoo was left in the park.

Alone.

He let his significant other run from him, he couldn’t believe what just happened, he doesn’t understand why Sungjong just dumped him. Is it because of Jinah? Myungsoo was confused and hurt.

 

****

 

Sungjong didn’t mean to make their date be the last one they’ll have. It was supposed to be a date to get rid of the tension that has happened since Jinah arrived.

 

Flashback

 

It was a Friday afternoon and Sungjong decided to go for a walk, he didn’t know that he would bump into the girl who made him feel insecure about everything.

Jinah, dressed in white skinnies and an oversized pale green sweater. Sungjong had to admit that she was very pretty if it weren’t for the smirk plastered on her face.

Jinah despises Sungjong. She had tried to ask Myungsoo out to dates in the past but was always rejected with words like:

“Sorry but I already have someone.” Or “My love and I are yet to be reunited and I can’t date anyone.”

Jinah scoffed at the thought, stood in front of Sungjong, blocking his way and scoffed again.

“You know I feel sorry for Myungsoo oppa. I bet he wanted a family, you know where he can protect his own daughter or play sports with his son. Face it, you may give oppa what he likes but you can’t give him what he wants.” With that Jinah sashayed away with a victorious smirk leaving Sungjong to think.

End of flashback

 

****

 

Sungjong ran, and ran for 2 hours. He ran to dry off the tears that were on the verge of spilling, he ran away from his present or his future and left behind his past.

No! You’ve kept it in this far you can’t just break now! He mentally scolded himself once he stopped running, he found himself walking around in the streets of Seoul far from his neighbourhood until he saw a lady in her early forties struggling with groceries. Naturally helpful as he is, Sungjong offered to help the lady but kept feeling that he has seen her before. By now the rain had stopped but it was slightly drizzling, 

On one of the grocery bags Sungjong was holding, he noticed a bag of lemon candies. He kept the urge of asking the lady who has introduced herself as Ms. Lee Sunjung for some lemon candies. Ms. Lee noticed Sungjong staring at bag of candies and chuckled, she stopped in her tracks and her conversation with Sungjong (which was probably one sided because the latter was distracted by the lemon treat) and took out the bag of lemon-y goodness, tore it open and handed the open bag of candy to Sungjong.

“Are you sure I can have some?” Sungjong asked, as he hesitantly took one candy from the bag. Ms. Lee nodded her head. “Of course, what’s the fun in eating lemon candy if I am the only one eating them?” Ms. Lee laughed as she popped the candy into .

“You know you remind me of my son. He loved lemon candies when he was little.”

Sungjong raised a brow, “Loved, does he not like lemon candy anymore?” Ms. Lee shook her head and Sungjong noticed the sad expression that replaced her smile, he suddenly felt bad. “No, I'm not sure if he loves them now.”

“What do you mean? I’m sorry if I asked a lot of questions, you don’t have to answer them.” Now Sungjong felt even worse for bringing it up.

“It’s ok, actually I lost my son when he was about 2-3 years old.” Ms. Lee smiled at the thought of her son, she continued telling Sungjong about her son during the walk to Ms. Lee’s apartment.

“What happened?” Sungjong yet again cursed at himself for being nosy but Ms. Lee didn’t mind and continued with her story, she didn’t mind telling her story to a total stranger especially if the stranger was only 17 and probably wouldn’t understand.

“I lost my husband when he was training overseas and my son was only 3 years old, they said that during the training a fire broke out in the building I guess he wasn’t one of the lucky ones that survived the fire. I became depressed over the news and eventually tried to end my life. I didn’t even think of my son at all, luckily my sister who was supposed to babysit my child came just in time. The doctors said that I was found in the bathroom by my sister, later on the doctors told me that I was diagnosed with major depression and I was admitted into a mental institution. They took my son away and put him in adoption, I wanted what was best for him and tried to do all I can for him. I provided them with information about him, a picture of him and they finally took him. At that point I was even more depressed but when they told me that he was adopted by a nice family a year later, I promised myself to try to get better for my son and try to see him again.” Ms. Lee let out a little tear and looked over at Sungjong who was about to cry for the second time that night, she came closer and hugged the boy.

"Do you still have a picture of your son?" Aish Lee Sungjong, you idiot! He again scolded himself.

Ms. Lee smiled and showed a picture of her son when Sungjong finally calmed down.

“Here.” She showed the picture to Sungjong and the latter was shocked. It was the same picture of him he had at home. Sungjong gulped and peered over at Ms. Lee who was gathering her groceries. As she was about to make her way to her apartment, Sungjong stopped her,

“umm… what’s your son’s name?”  He asked. “Oh silly me, I forgot to tell you, his name was Sungjong, Lee Sungjong.”