Goodbye my love

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwang Soo took one last look at his housing estate, a place he had called, home for the past few years. He didn't know when or if he would be back. He was shaken out of his thoughts by Jong Kook's nagging. “Ya, giraffe! Are you leaving or not?” He demanded, and Kwang Soo quickly got into the car.

 

As Jong Kook drove off in the direction of Incheon Airport, Kwang Soo glanced at the rearview mirror, watching as his apartment get smaller and smaller, the further Jong Kook drove.


Goodbye...

 

 

1 month earlier

 

“Hi, Jo PD?” Kwang Soo approached the head PD of Running Man.

 

“Ah yes, Kwang Soo-ssi. What can I do for you?” Jo PD asked as he looked up and flashed the giraffe a friendly smile.

 

Kwang Soo took a deep breath before taking the plunge. “Jo PD... Running Man has really helped built my career these few years and I'll always be grateful for that. But... I wish to quit the show... I want to start doing my own things.” He explained.

 

The producer smiled serenely. “I kinda expected that... These 3 months without her hasn't been the same, has it?”

 

Kwang Soo shook his head.

 

“What are you going to do?” Jo PD asked.

 

Kwang Soo stared out the window, a pensive expression on his face as he recalled that one night at the park. He turned to face the PD. “Travel the world.” He answered, smiling wistfully.

 

 

Ji Hyo waited impatiently for Jae Suk and Suk Jin to turn up. She was currently sitting in a private room in Gary's restaurant, having just learnt of Kwang Soo's departure from the show.

 

Kwang Soo had recently made a public announcement that he would be leaving Running Man to concentrate on other things. As it was such a sudden departure, she had immediately called up the oppas to try and find out for herself, just what was going on. They had calmly told her that they would explain it to her when they met up.

 

Irritated that she was being kept out of the loop, and from waiting. She downed her glass of tea and not for the first time, wished it were alcohol. Gary looked on, his brows knitted in worry. He knew Ji Hyo was impatient and hated to be kept waiting. “I'm so glad that isn't soju. I wouldn't want to have to carry a drunk pregnant woman back to her husband. Imagine having to explain that to Mr Baek.” He joked cautiously.

 

Glancing over, she saw that her foul mood had made Gary nervous. Smiling shyly, she bowed to the rapper. “Oh, Gary oppa... I'm sorry. I shouldn't take my frustrations out on you. I would really just like to know what is going on! But Jae Suk and Suk Jin oppa wouldn't tell me over the phone and insisted on telling me when we met up.”

 

Just then, the door to the room opened and Suk Jin and Jae Suk entered. Jae Suk was carrying a small box. Both juniors made to stand, in order to bow to their seniors. Suk Jin immediately stopped Ji Hyo. “Ya, Cheon Seong-im! Be careful! You're pregnant, please sit down.” He cautioned. Smiling, he walked over to Ji Hyo and enveloped her in hug. “Wow, you're starting to show. Is it a boy or a girl?” He asked.

 

Ji Hyo smiled. “I just went to see the doctor yesterday. I'm having a little girl.” She told the men.

 

Jae Suk beamed back at her. “Wow! Congratulations, Ji Hyo-ah. Chang Joo must be very happy.” He remarked.

 

Her smile fell, but she caught herself quickly and flashed a small smile. “I'm not sure... He wasn't there with me.” She mumbled, looking away, unable to meet his eyes.

 

“I'm sure he is.” He assured, placing a hand on the actress' shoulder. 

 

She forced a smile, trying hard to find comfort in Jae Suk's actions and words. For the past three months, she had attended all of her doctor's appointments by herself. Chang Joo was turning out to be the father she had expected him to be. He provided materially for Ji Hyo and the child he had unwittingly fathered, but he wasn't taking an active role in parenting.

 

Turning her attention to the box in Jae Suk's hands, she noticed that it had her name on it. “What is that? Is that for me?” She asked, gesturing towards the box with a tip of her head. Moving to take a seat in the empty chair next to Ji Hyo, he handed the box over to her. As she studied her name, she realised that she recognised the untidy scrawl. It was from Kwang Soo.

 

“Why is he leaving the show?” Ji Hyo sighed. “Please tell me.”

 

Jae Suk spoke carefully. “Ji Hyo-ah... Kwang Soo actually spoke to Jo PD about a month ago, asking to leave the show. We have been aware of his imminent departure for about a month now.” He informed the actress.

 

“And none of you thought to tell me?” Ji Hyo asked, casting a hurt glance at the men seated around her. “Is he leaving because... because.. Is it because of me?” She asked sadly.

 

“No, don't say that... Kwang Soo wants to improve himself, test himself. To live his life.” Suk Jin interjected gently.

 

Ji Hyo looked away, she wanted to believe what Suk Jin was saying, but she knew that a small part of it was because of her.

 

Suk Jin continued. “And believe me. We wanted to tell you. But Kwang Soo told us not to. He was afraid you'd blame yourself. Like you are now. It's the last thing he wants.” He added gently, giving her a small smile.

 

Ji Hyo returned the smile. “It's not going to be the same without him.” She remarked.

 

The other half of the Easy Brothers smiled sadly. “No, it won't. But we'll manage. It was the same with Joong Ki.”

 

Jae Suk rubbed Ji Hyo's back and gestured to the box in her hands. “He left this with us. It's for you. He wanted you to have it.” He told her before glancing at Gary and Suk Jin.

 

“Ji Hyo-ah, he didn't say we couldn't tell you this, and I feel you have the right to know.” Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself. “He's leaving Korea.”

 

Ji Hyo looked at Jae Suk, surprised and shocked etched in her features. “What?! When?! And where is he going?!”

 

Gary, who had been quiet all this time finally spoke up. “He is leaving tonight... His first stop is in Anchorage, Alaska... After which, he isn't sure... He intends to travel around the world. Work some odd jobs here and there to earn his keep.” He said. “I believe I may have started something by telling him that sometimes we go to new countries because we are either running from or running to something. I don't know which one would describe him, but when he is done, he says he will probably join his family in New Zealand.”

 

Ji Hyo regarded the men sombrely. “Are all of you sending him off tonight?” She asked, watching as they nodded. “Then, I'm coming with you.” She said resolutely.

 

 

Ji Hyo sat in Gary's car. They were on their way to Incheon airport. Although they could all fit into Suk Jin's car, he had volunteered to drive as he didn't want the older man to take a detour to send Ji Hyo back.

 

Currently, Ji Hyo was quietly studying the box. “Mong Ji, go ahead and open it. I know you want to.” He encouraged gently.

 

She smiled gratefully at him. Opening the box, she found a bottle filled with candies and a letter. Upon closer inspection, she found that it was a bottle of her favourite peanut butter M&M chocolates. Putting it aside, she read the letter, smiling softly at his untidy scrawl.

 

Dearest Noona,

Perhaps by the time you read this letter, I will no longer be in Korea... I hate to leave like this. The only comfort I have is that I have a place in your heart. I leave you a bottle of your favourite peanut butter M&M chocolates. You must have noticed, that in the bottle, there are all kinds of colours. Except blue.

I’ve told you – blue represent melancholy. And how could I ever leave that with you? I’ve taken all the blues with me... I hope that in the coming days, your world will be as colourful and as sweet as the bottle of chocolates... And your smile as radiant as the sun.

Please do not take my leaving the country personally. A wise man once told me that the reason we move to new countries is because we are either running from or running to something. I laughed and thou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter