Telling Him

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo woke quickly and suddenly as a wave of nausea swept over her. Hoping that it would pass, she lay still, trying not to think about how ill she was feeling. Glancing over to the clock on the wall, she saw that it was 4:30am. She was glad she didn't have anything in her schedule later.

 

Perhaps I shouldn't have had those potatoes...

 

However, the feeling persisted and worsened. Trying not to wake Kwang Soo, who was sleeping soundly next to her, she lurched to the toilet. She had barely made it to the toilet bowl when her stomach contracted violently. She sank to her knees as she began hurling up the contents of her stomach as wave after wave of nausea hit. Tears streamed down her face as she retched until only clear liquid came out. When there was nothing left, she pulled herself up from the toilet floor and flushed before moving over to the sink.

 

Observing her reflection in the mirror, she found that her face was pale and dripping sweat and tears. Turning on the tap, she washed her face and rinsed out at the sink. She went to grab some toilet paper to dry , only to find that there was none. She opened the cupboard where the toilet rolls were kept. As she took one out, she spied the opened packet of sanitory napkins and something clicked in her head – her period was late. She tried to recall when her last period had ended and realised that it was just before she went hiking with Kwang Soo. Doing some quick calculations in her head, she realised that her period was more than three weeks overdue.


No! No! No! It can't be! I can't be pregnant... We've been using protection this whole time.

 

Worried, Ji Hyo crept back to where Kwang Soo lay sound asleep. If she was indeed pregnant, it would explain the sudden nausea and the recent fatigue, despite having day-offs in her schedule to rest. She hoped it was all a bad dream and she would wake from it soon. She lay awake, just staring lovingly at her giraffe. She watched him sleep peacefully, tracing his profile with her eyes, memorising his features and breathing in his scent until the sun rose.

 

Kwang Soo stirred. Opening his eyes, he turned to face Ji Hyo and was surprised to see her already awake. He smiled lovingly at her. “Darling, have you been awake this whole time?”

 

“I've been awake for a couple of hours, just watching you sleep. I missed you.” She answered as she snuggled into to him. “I was afraid... Afraid... if I closed my eyes... when I woke up, I wouldn't see you again.” She whispered as she pushed her face under his arms, hiding her tears.


I'm sorry Kwang Soo-dear... Soo very sorry.

 

He pulled her close to him, holding her hand with his larger one and her arm with the other. “Darling, I promised you I'd always be here, remember? I'm like your sun. Sometimes, you can't see it, but it never really goes away... I will always be here for you too... I'm never going to go.” He promised and they continued laying in that position, Kwang Soo just holding on to her and Ji Hyo with her head tucked under his arm. He noticed she seemed a little subdued this morning.


Ah! It must be because she hasn't had her coffee. I should surprise her.

 

“Darling, I left something in my car. I'm just going to go down and get it, ok?” He told the actress as he got off the couch and she nodded mutely in response.

 

After he left, Ji Hyo sat up on the couch. She stared intently at the wall, as if the answers she was looking for were, somehow, written there. Deep in thought, she was startled when she heard a knock on her door. Knowing it was Kwang Soo, she went to open it. “Tadah! Surprise! Hot Americano to chase away the sleepiness and some egg toast!” He beamed, waving a takeaway cup of coffee in front of Ji Hyo's nose. He watched, horrified as her face turned white and she ran off in the direction of the toilet.

 

Standing outside her toilet door, he heard her retching and coughing. Concerned, he tried the door handle, only to find that she had locked it. He wanted to go in and comfort her. He wanted to do something, anything. Other than stand here. After several minutes of waiting, he heard the flush of the toilet and Ji Hyo emerged from behind the door. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was tear-stained and pale. Worried, he went over to her. “Darling... Are you ok? Still sick, huh? You should see a doctor later.” He murmured as he held her in his arms.

 

She smiled weakly at him, patting his hands. “Don't worry, I will. Let's just go have breakfast.”

 

Seeing that there was still some porridge leftover from last night, Kwang Soo heated it up for Ji Hyo. The toast was probably too oily for her. He watched her as she absentmindedly stirred the Americano he bought for her. “Darling, you've been stirring that coffee for the past ten minutes. Drink it, black coffee will help settle your stomach.” He coaxed gently.

 

Ji Hyo cringed internally. The sudden aversion to the smell of her favourite coffee that had made her ill. The signs were as clear as day.


I know it would settle my stomach... But I doubt I am having the stomach flu... Caffeine is not good for... for it.

 

She was unable to bring herself to say the word - baby.

 

Arranging her features into a soft smile, she asked if she could have some orange juice instead. Kwang Soo smiled back at her. “Of course, darling. Do you have any oranges in the fridge?” When she nodded, he walked over and squeezed a cup of juice for her.

 

After breakfast, Ji Hyo walked Kwang Soo out. He stood at the lift, looking worriedly at her. “Make sure you go see a doctor later, ok? It's already been two days and you're still throwing up.” He nagged, watching as she nodded. “I have a photoshoot till about 7 pm today. Do you want me to come by with some dinner later after I'm done?”

 

Ji Hyo shook her head. “No. You have a busy day ahead. I will see a doctor and get some dinner myself. Don't worry, ok?” She assured.

 

Kwang Soo nodded. “Ok then. I'm free tomorrow. I'll pop by to see how you are doing.” He suggested as the lift arrived.

 

As the lift doors opened, she grabbed him and pulled him close, trying desperately to seek some comfort in him. “I love you, Kwang Soo-dear.” She mumbled as she hugged him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter