The wedding

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ahh...” Kwang Soo groaned as he stood and stretched his lanky body. He was sore from the day's hard work of harvesting rice. He had arrived about a week ago with Gary hyung and had been working in the fields daily. Gary had picked the busiest time to volunteer in Vietnam. It was the second rice harvest season, whereby the crops that were planted in January were now ready for harvesting.

 

The rapper looked over at Kwang Soo and waved at him, signalling for him to take a breather. He frowned when Kwang Soo shook his head and returned to his task of harvesting the rice. He watched as the taller man bent over and started using his sickle to cut through the stems of rice before placing them in the woven basket. Shaking his head, Gary made his way over to him. “Kwang Soo-ah... Take a quick break. The rice isn't going anywhere.” He urged.

 

“It's ok, hyung. I'll just finish this row first, then I'll take a break.” Kwang Soo insisted as he continued with his task.

 

Gary stared sadly at Kwang Soo. “It's not going to stop your pain, you know?” He pointed out gently, and the actor spared a glance at the rapper. “Love can make one grow up.” He added sombrely, staring intently at him. “Don't try so hard to forget. The harder you try to forget, the harder it gets... After some time, one day you'll take a shower, drink a cup of coffee, listen to some music. And suddenly you think of them... Well, at that time you will have forgotten the pain. Trust hyung.” He advised. Patting Kwang Soo's shoulder, he left to play with the village kids.

 

Kwang Soo watched Gary leave. He knew he was speaking from his own experience. When the members had first found out that Ji Hyo was dating her CEO, Gary had done all he could to distance himself from her. Gradually, he started behaving normally around her again. Eventually going out together once more in a group for dinners or drinks. He even invited her to his year-end Leessang concert where she performed a song with him. The impromptu act was well received, and the fans applauded and cheered.

 

Slowly, but surely, Kwang Soo noticed that his hyung was getting better. While he hadn't completely gotten over her, they were able to interact and behave normally. And not just for the sake of being on camera, off camera, a strong bond had formed. He watched as they got over an initial period of awkwardness and their friendship strengthened. It led the Monday Couple to become a formidable force – a force to be reckoned with as they won many challenges together.

 

Slowly getting up, Kwang Soo lumbered over to where Gary was currently engaging the local kids in a game of ddakji. He watched as the sudden commander took aim and deliberately miss the square to give the kids a chance to win. Grinning, Kwang Soo stole the ddakji that was on the ground and ran away with it, leading to a merry chase around the village.

 

 

“Yes, mom. I know... Yes, the Shilla hotel is expensive, but I don't want you paying for anything. Mom, I've got to go. I'll pick you up at the airport tomorrow, ok? Bye.”

 

Ji Hyo hanged up, massaging her temple as she felt a migraine coming on. She loved her mother, but the woman drove her nuts at times. Her mother had been taken by surprise by the wedding. She was of the opinion that it was too rushed and had suggested that Ji Hyo pushed back the date. When Ji Hyo insisted that everything had already been booked beforehand and down payments made, her mother had very bluntly asked if she were pregnant. Ji Hyo's silence was all that was needed for her to arrive at the answer.

 

Afraid that she had disappointed her mother, Ji Hyo started to tear up and began to apologise. But her mother had just brushed aside the apology. “You are my daughter, whatever you do, you will always have my support and love. Besides... I've always wanted a granddaughter, now I have a 50/50 chance.”

 

The wedding would be held at the Shilla hotel in downtown Seoul. It was expensive, especially since Chang Joo had a huge guest list. But she knew he would not settle for any less. And he would expect nothing but perfection and luxury. He had told her he would cover the cost of the wedding, but Ji Hyo had insisted on paying for half of the expenses.


I guess that's the difference between him and Kwang Soo... Kwang Soo would rather have something small and intimate, than a big grand affair. Argh, Cheon Seong-im! Stop comparing them! It won't change anything now!

 

Ji Hyo herself had only invited her family and close friends, including the Running Man members whom she considered her second family. All four men had confirmed their attendance. Only two had yet to answer. She knew it would be difficult to get their answers, seeing as Gary had dragged Kwang Soo all the way to Vietnam to do volunteer work, a day after she made the wedding announcement.

 

She knew Gary did it for the benefit of Kwang Soo. There, in the countryside, Kwang Soo would have no access to any news of her upcoming wedding. There would be little cell phone reception, no social media and no tv reports. No way to see her.

 

Here, she had access to all of it. Ji Hyo was aware that some Monday Couple fans were thrashing her. The reports claimed that Gary was in Vietnam nursing his broken heart from the news. And while she knew Gary still had some feelings for her and may partially be true, she also knew that he was doing it for Kwang Soo's sake.

 

At the thought of Kwang Soo, she smiled sadly. She missed him. His easy-going ways, his big goofy grin. The way he laughed and how he was able to bring a smile to her face. She hoped he was doing well. Where ever he is. She wondered if he would attend the wedding. But eventually came to the conclusion that he probably wouldn't because it would be too painful for him, and she felt inexplicably sad.

 

It wasn't that she wanted to upset him. But a small selfish part of her had just wanted to see him again. If even for a momen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter