06

Between sneakers and heels

People live in the world with curious mind. Not knowing what the future hold nor caring about the situation they might encounter soon. Living in the world that full of lies.

 

Hana knew better. She knew that she dig her own grave by breaking the promise that she made. Instead of wasting herself with intoxicating liquor, she decided to fill in her stomach with meat until it felt bloated enough.

How funny. It’s the first time though that she didn’t blink her eyes close to sleep.

The Park Hana would never let these kind of matter interrupted her mind. But what can she do when it wasn’t just any matter. It was her life decision.

 

“Oi,”

Hana exhaled her breath rather loudly and buried half of her face on her knees which she folded her legs close to her chest. Not even caring who talked to her, Hana kept her focus on the marble floor. Sheesh, these guys really need to clean up a little-

 

“Ack!” Hana fell backward as a pillow hit her face. Raging, Hana kicked her legs in the air “The fu©k?!”

The culprit raised a brow seeing Hana was silenced by his presence. There stood L with a smirk on his face, his god dαmn looking face. She was about to ask but her second brother knew better “I’m saving your αss, let’s go. Dad won’t wake up at 6 in the morning anyway.”

Literally, she was dragged out by L and the only question she received from 3 boys living in the house were an imaginary questioning mark on their head. Not to mention the crease that formed on their forehead either. The girl can only mouthed ‘later’ when Ren moved his shoulder up and down, asking Hana what was going on.

 

The second ‘ack’ she let out was a little bit louder than earlier as soon as they got in L’s black Cayman. She scoffed as she wondered herself how did the fragile looking fingers of her brother can cause red marks on her skin.

As the car roared to life, all Hana felt on her skin was the rash air slapping her cheeks. Not that her brother care to close the window anyway. It was rare for L to open the window for fresh air, especially when the air was chilly to begin with.

A secretive glance on her brother explains everything. L was pissed.

 

“The offer is still available you know.” Maybe he was still trying to help his sister.

“Meh, I’m fine.”

Hana answered as fast as she can. Before she entered the car, by accident, she saw the brochure scattered on the seat with doodles scribbled on it. L has a dream and she knows she wants to help L to realize them.

 

 

“You have soooooo many ways of caring, don’t you?” Hana made a face when L threw a plastic bag to her lap. It was her exercising wear so Hana raised a brow.

L closed the tinted window of his Cayman and spun the steering wheel, he sighed “We’ll have to say that we go to exercise together.”

Noticing that his sister didn’t give him any answer, L took a glance from the corner of his eyes “Ahhhh what? You can’t expect to just walk inside wearing yesterday’s attire.”

“Are you nuts?” Hana whispered. L copied her “We’re almost here, are you crazy to walk insid-“

“The h€ll would I change my clothes in here?! Oh my god you brother!” She crossed her arms against her chest dramatically.

Both of them jerked forward as the car pulled to an abrupt stop “You little- AISH! We’re just a few metres away.”

Still in her denying mode, Hana stomped her feet in her mind “But still!”

L rolled his eyes and stepped on the gear while he uttered something slow under his breath “There’s nothing to see anyway…”

 

This time, L was the one who groaned in pain.

He got smacked real hard on the back of his head.

But, even louder than doubling up Hana’s agony.

 

 

Baekhyun was smiling too wide that Chanyeol had to knock some sense to his friend. “Oh? You look happy?”

The white cellphone on Baekhyun’s hand made Chanyeol whistled “Munying again?”

A frown immediately took over his face and Chanyeol giggled “I was just kidding,” He spared some seconds to breathe “Minyoung, how is she?”

“My girl,” He stood up and stretched his arms “will be the one who lead the cheer competition.”

“A leader?” Chanyeol tapped his chin slowly and Baekhyun nodded, a little bit eager “Yup, and she’ll perform on stage soon as a celebration for the end of her piano lesson.”

“Busy woman eh?” Chanyeol nudged Baekhyun’s rib playfully and the latter replied with a headlock.

 

Suho smiled as he entered the dorm and knocked his knuckles against the door politely “Hey,” They looked up just to see their leader raising both of his brows “Am I interrupting anything?”

They let go and shuddered “Ew hyung, don’t you dare to think of anything.”

Suho laughed “Practice is almost starting, bromance later.” He winked and spun his heels but then he just made a 360 degree of rotation using both of his soles “Baek, manager Yoon told me to let you know that Mr Lee is waiting for you inside his office.”

“Now?” Chanyeol asked on behalf of his roommate

“Yes. Now.” Suho nodded

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun "Now," and the latter raised a brow “Now?”

“Now? Both of them asked in unison and received an annoyed glare from the one standing at the front door “NOW YOU BUMMER.”

Childishly, both of them laughed and high fived before pulling each other to their feet, making their way out except for Baekhyun who had to walk on different direction.

 

 

“You’re here.”

Baekhyun bowed as a sign of politeness with a smile never left his face. He knew how to respect elders despite the rebel he has against his parents.

Mr Lee gestured his hand to one of the couch available as soon as he took a seat for himself. Baekhyun straightened his back and sat down without slouching. Somehow, he couldn’t find a good vibe from the second he stepped inside the room.

He also knew Mr Lee isn’t someone who speaks by coating his words. A straight forward person he is. “Byun Baekhyun, you do know I respect your father and that I’m allowing you to get married as long as this matter won’t leak.”

He swallowed, the nervousness crept inside his body “Yes sir,”

“Come on, don’t be too business like, we both know how I treated you like my own son.” Despite the wrinkles on his aging face, a smile can still be seen.

Baekhyun replied the smile but the smile doesn’t last long as soon as Mr Lee ended his speech.

 

“Your future wife will be staying in the same place with you.”

 

 

“I told you there’s nothing to see.” L stifled his laughter as Hana flipped a finger while both of them walked inside the mansion. Her brother even poured the remaining of mineral water he had drink on top of Hana’s head. She was literally drenched.

As a proof of sweat, he said.

 

“Oh?” Zelo quickly ran upstairs as soon as he saw both of his sister and brother walked inside.

Hana looked at L in confusion “What’s with him?” Now that Hana realised, it was just about time for their parents to wake up.

Zico yawned and even lost his balance when he walked down the stairs.

He ended up kissing the floor a few centimetres away from Hana’s feet. “All hail the princess, peasαnt” Hana guffawed while L had already expressing his laughter on the ground, crouching like a foetus.

Zico stood up, ashamed and jumped on top of L to distract his discomfort when Hana smirked. Damn he just embarrassed himself in front of his precious sister.

 

“Y-Young master please don’t be like this!” A few maids came out from their room and received a minor heart attack seeing the first son abusing the second one.

Hana cocked her head when she felt her hair was being pulled side to side. Squinting her eyes so that her bangs won’t get inside her eyes, she whined “Zelo, what are you doingggg?”

Zelo laughed and draped the towel on top of Hana’s head “There,” She opened her eyes and blinked rapidly to her giant twin “You’re going to get a cold if you don’t let it dry quickly”

A quick peck landed on Zelo’s cheek, he blushed and Hana grinned “Now that I think about it, I never, like, never dry my hair myself.”

The youngest of the Park’s family shrugged and gave her an eye smile “I’ll do it for you. Quotidianly” Hana was about to answer but Zelo sighed “I hope your future husband will be aware of your hair,” Another sigh “Like me..”

 

Hana opened to speak but nothing crossed her mind. She didn’t even know what to answer nor to utter any sentence. Instead, an enquiry between herself popped inside her mind which she shrugged it off. She just didn’t want to care.

 

Before she strutted with Zelo to the kitchen, Hana snapped her fingers “Ladies,” The maids nervously looked up between the two brothers struggling on the floor and Hana’s instruction, “let the low lads settle themselves, the princess needs her breakfast.”

Zelo widened his eyes as if he was threatening them when all of them hesitantly walked away from the ‘scene’, he was signalling to obey Hana instead of worrying for something useless.

 

Both of the twins were laughing but a pair of sentence clearly went through Hana’s ears.

 

“But you’re not going to be a single princess anymore”

 

She almost stopped walking because of the sudden stab she felt inside her organs but after all, she is Park Hana. Therefore, she carelessly took it to her heart.

In fact, the whole hall heard what Zico accidentally muttered but the thought of Hana not hearing him eased him a bit.

 

L elbowed his brother’s chin “How could you say that?”

For the first time in his life, Zico pouted. He just embarrassed himself twice didn’t he?

 

Baekhyun shot up from his seat looking flustered “Eh but why? We are just going to get married because of a piece of paper,” His eyeballs couldn’t stay still “No, because of an arranged marriage contract!”

Lee Sooman waved his hand as a gesture for Baekhyun to lower his voice and a sign for Baekhyun to sit back calmly “For the time being, let her be known as one of the coordis. The rest of the members can use your house to leisure their time in comfort instead of cramping themselves in the small dorm”

Baekhyun knew better. He was never going to make a choice for as long as he lives. Does this considered as a threat? Their dorm was too small for them to hang out during their free time. Heck, they even had to shower together to save time to practise!

He raked his hair in annoyance and bit his lips hard. The man sitting in front of him was raising an eyebrow, sending a telepathy question. The decision is about Exo, all he wants is for Exo to be in comfort. He can’t just live in a mansion with Hana and let the members cramped altogether, cavilling every seconds.

 

That’s it.

Hana is just a menace for him. He hates her for existing, for being born in the Park’s family who have connection with his father’s company.

But then, he agreed. Just because of Exo. “The rest can stay, right?”

 

 

Whenever Hana is having a shower, she will always hear a rapid knock on the door along with a voice shouting and sometimes cursing at her. She was too immersed in her own world, not to mention that the warm water embracing her body helped to relax her mind and muscles as well.

“Hana, what the h€ll? You’re taking too long!” Zelo groaned and bruised his knuckles by knocking on the bathroom door. She decided to ignore the noise and closed her eyes while sinking half of her jaw inside the water in the bathtub.

The knocking came to an abrupt stop that Hana just had to open one of her eyes out of curiosity. “I will switch off the heater if you won’t come out now~” Zelo sang.

“You don’t want to get your teeth shattered do you~” Hana sang back and splashed the water to make some noise in anger for disturbing her comfort time.

 

A few seconds passed.

Hana quickly jumped out from the bathtub before the cold water could touch her body. I’m gonna get you fu©ker

Wrapping with only the equipment of a single towel, Hana stomped out of the bathroom and searched for her twin.

Zelo was sitting cross legged on Hana’s bed and raised two of his fingers up while grinning. “Tch tch tch, your future husband is going to get disappointed with your body shape.”

He giggled when his twin rolled her eyes and walked to her closet “You’re so going to get in trouble if my skin gets itchy”

Only the whole family and the maids knew about Hana’s condition. She isn’t allergic with cold water but when her skin gets in contact with it, red spots will formed and for quite half an hour, she had to rub her skin, acting like a monkey until the rash goes away

“I’ll help you to rub them away, like I always do!” He beamed.

Fully clothing now, Hana walked to her bed and sat beside Zelo. She laughed “You can’t be helping me forever giant twinnie.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, oh.”

 

He was about to take the towel from Hana when she slapped his hands “I have to take care of myself,” Zelo’s shoulder slumped down when Hana smiled “By myself.”

With that, the both of them were accompanied by tranquillity.

 

-

 

Mrs Park rubbed her temples when she caught Hana slid down the stairs pole looking in rush. “I’m so going to build an elevator inside the mansion later.”

She stopped running and spun her heels around “Mansion? Whose mansion?”

“You….. and Baekhyun of course.” She hesitated at first since it had been in her mind all day on how to tell her daughter to live with some stranger who’s going to be her sudden husband. But when Hana shrugged and turned her back to continue running, as she remembered on what she had to do, Mrs Park’s tensed muscles loosened.

A sigh escaped her lips “What should I do with you..”

 

 

“Hey mom,” Mrs Park looked up and saw Zico wandering upstairs shirtless “Did you see my green collar stripes shirt that I bought a few days ago?”

“In Junhong’s closet? Or maybe Myungsoo?” She shrugged. Zico shook his head “Zelo is too big to wear my stuff and L is a black collector freak”

Mrs Park knitted her brows together “How should I kn-“ She tilted her head and then rolled her eyes “The robber of your item run outside the house a few seconds ago”

“Huh? Who-“ In the exact moment, L came out from the kitchen munching some snacks and Zelo walked pass by Zico from Hana’s bedroom.

Laughing, Zico nodded understandingly to his bedroom while Mrs Park couldn’t keep shut from babbling alone

 

 

Was it awkward? Was it vexatious? The atmosphere was too different and no one could tell what was on the 4 minds of people at the corner of inside a café.

Hana was the first one to break the silence “Visit me sometimes, alright!”

Nearly all of them scoffed. “Visit you?” Sungjae faked a laugh “As if the man inside the house will allow us. People don’t understand our bonding Hana. You- You’re our half! Bros over h0es remember?”

“Jeez, you made me sounded like I’m not a girl.” She snorted a laugh. Usually, no one will get serious but this time, Hana was the only one who tried to be the jokester. The manager was away and fortunately the customer can be counted by fingers so the boys weren’t that busy and focused on Hana.

Ren leaned backwards and exhaled a loud breath “This is not just a small matter Hana. This is your life. It will change everything”

“I know, but it doesn’t matter anyway. It’s just a marriage. We might even get a divorce after the company got settled-“ She jumped on her spot when V slapped the menu on the table, walked away leaving her blinking non stop

Pouting, Hana dug holes behind V’s head “Aish, you guys are just like my stupid brothers.”

 

Ren sighed and was about to walk away when Hana grabbed his sleeves and yanked him towards her. The latter will always whined when Hana gave him a headlock but this time, there was no struggle against both of them.

She casually flicked Ren’s forehead “You guys are no fun!”

“Hana,” Ren pulled away and distant himself “We can’t be like this anymore, can’t we?” He was this close to sneak his arm around Hana, like he always did. But he can't do that when a pair of eyes watched them in silence

She replied with a blink. Sungjae cleared his throat “You know what he means Hana. We’re no longer your comfort cushion, neither your victim in a headlock or someone who can carry you wherever you want in our arms.”

Both Ren and Sungjae stood up “Grow up Hana, be a lady.”

 

Speechless.

Hana was at loss of words. She never figured out this side of them and even V. It was the first. The first time they walked away from her. The first time Ren avoided her touch. The first time Sungjae mocked her in a serious tone. The very first time V didn’t spare any glance towards her.

Suddenly it feels chilly by herself. The silence revolved around her was too weird for her to adapt.

Hana pulled up her knees to her chest, a habit that she always do when she got confused. Even sitting on a café’ couch.

 

“Wow, boys can be a βitch sometimes.”

 

 

From the kitchen, V was staring at Hana. He looked down to his cellphone, re-read the text message he received and deleted it.

He was mad of course, for Hana’s own careless self. But even more, he felt suffocated for making his bestfriend like that. But they knew better, the girl have- no she need to change for the sake of her own life.

 

 

Thank you boys for helping. – Mr. Park