22

Between sneakers and heels

This is the fifth time that Baekhyun has tried calling but the person on the other side wouldn’t pick up. He raked his hair in annoyance and stopped when a hand was placed on his shoulder.

“You okay?”

Baekhyun sighed, “Minyoung won’t pick up. I think… she’s still mad about what happened”

Kyungsoo formed an ‘o’ with his mouth. He could’ve care less but the lad seems to be unable to focus on training that even his voice crack numerous of times hitting the high notes.

While Baekhyun laid his left cheek flat on the table, Kyungsoo typed something in his phone that was buzzing non-stop.

 

“Can you keep me in company today?” Kyungsoo asked, without averting his gaze from the screen.

Baekhyun scratched an itchy spot in between of his brows “Where to?”

“I just feel like getting myself a drink.”

“We’re not allowed to drink.”

The corner of Kyungsoo’s heart-shaped lips curved upwards “I know, that’s why I told you to just accompany me.”

Baekhyun groaned, he buried his face on the table. Kyungsoo is not a heavy drinker neither did he like to drink anyway. “I’m sorry. I really don’t have the mood for—“

He shrieked when Kyungsoo pulled his arm and dragged him out of the vocal training studio using force.

Guess he will just have to follow.

 

 

If flies were to fly around with aim, they’ll be sure to land on Baekhyun’s mouth since it was opened as wide as a platform to land.

He rubbed his eyes twice, couldn’t really get himself to fully believe that Kyungsoo managed to sneak him in in the club. Heck, this is the first time he stepped inside a club! Thanks to Kyungsoo’s acquaintance named Bogum who that they can enter without having their ID being checked by the guards.

The location is definitely quite far from the company as well as their current house. It even took them quite an hour in the cab to reach there.

“Oh? If it’s not Kyungsoo” A lean and tall man who was passing by while getting his drink stopped and tilted his head. He was scrutinizing the man before him to make sure he did not get the wrong person.

Kyungsoo rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. He was trying his best to avoid being noticed but oh well, as someone who is quite close to Bogum; the hottie in the club, everyone seems to recognize Kyungsoo now.

“…Yeah, hi In Guk. I was just passing by”

In Guk chuckled, a small mole near his mouth showing the key point of sweetness in his facial feature “That’s rare” He noticed Baekhyun and smiled “Oh well, have fun guys!”

Enormous speaker around the dance floor was so loud that Baekhyun had to pull Kyungsoo a bit further, nearing the bar to let his voice reach Kyungsoo’s ears.

“Passing by? Really?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He bit his lips and let his eyes wander around the club.

When a tall and good looking figure emerged from the crowd, raising his hand up high in the air, Kyungsoo thus returned it with a wave.

 

Baekhyun looked down when he felt someone tugged his sleeve. “What are you doing?”

“Why don’t you go to the dance floor?” Kyungsoo asked.

Another groan escaped his lips. “I can just drink coke—“

But before he can finish his sentence, Kyungsoo had already put a mouth mask around his face, looping them in both of his ears. Baekhyun stumbled when Kyungsoo pushed him forward as the latter sat down on the chair, raising his glass that the barista just placed on the bar a bit higher from the level of his head.

He wanted to walk back to bar but the crowd were pushing and grinding against each other that he tried his best not to bump into anyone. Unnoticed, Baekhyun has already reached the centre of the dance floor. A female DJ skilfully let her fingers do their work on the DJ booth, one hand placed against her ear while she jumped lightly side by side.

“Ooooohh and here’s the main star for tonight!” She picked up the mic and Baekhyun placed his index finger in his ear. He might have enjoyed it if Chanyeol is with him. He surely can be silly that way.

Baekhyun wanted to remove the mask from his face. Whatever the reason might be for Kyungsoo to place the mask around him, was surely something stupid. As if he doesn’t feel stuffy enough for the whole day!

 

“What the h3ll...” He stopped in what he was doing when a female came from behind the stage to the nearest pole while wearing a rabbit costume. A proportion that he knew too well. She whipped her hair back and forth, causing the chaos of men screaming down below. They were flapping bunches of paper money and what made Baekhyun gawked was that the girl gladly accept the money. Letting them slide the money wherever they want.

She went down the stage due to the hollering of wanting her to be closer with the audience.

He met eyes with the female. But in just within seconds, a man in his suit pulled the girl closer to him by grabbing her arm harshly. She spun her heels just to wrap one leg of hers intertwined with his thigh.

The DJ whistled when she kissed the tip of the man’s nose and pushed his chest backwards lightly. A teasing smile light up her face.

Baekhyun was too stunned that when the girl approached him closer and all eyes verged on him, he pushed the latter very very-- very harsh when she roamed her hands freely and ended up on Baekhyun’s shoulder. Even the DJ opened her eyes wide. An echo of boo-ing filled the dance floor.

 

Kyungsoo barely managed to get through the crowd due to his petite figure against the built and tall crowd; not to forget the girls with high platforms as well. He found Baekhyun standing still in the crowd as if he was frozen with both arms extended forward. Behind was Bogum, who tried to calm the crowd from causing any inconvenience further.

His eyes made their way to the other person with both palm supporting herself on the floor. Before he could even say anything, the girl opened first “K.. Kyungsoo o…ppa…?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes grew twice bigger when she mentioned his name again. The look on her face was unexplainable as she brought her hand to cover when Baekhyun took off his mask; brows furrowed together. He looked like a crumpled paper as he scrunched his face in disgust.

Disappointment was all over his face.

 

“Oh my god” was the only thing that came out from Kyungsoo’s mouth before Baekhyun stomped towards her and pulled her so that she stand on her feet to face him. He wanted to take her away from attention as fast as he can but the DJ and her ‘fans’ seems to be stopping his intention.

Baekhyun felt like his heart will explode any time—the beat of the music pumping his adrenaline but not with joy and fun.

 

 

 

“Minyoung..” He breathed out weakly.

 

 

He slid down and rested his back against the wall of the club after being lifted away by the guards heading to the back door. Unlucky for Baekhyun, the DJ managed to grab a hold of Minyoung and as the crowd gets closer, his firm grip somehow slipped away from her arms.

Bogum helped them to settle down so that they won’t be charged for any commotion.

“Sorry.” Kyungsoo muttered and pinched the bridge of his nose. He even bowed to Bogum but the latter placed his hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulder to put a halt on his movement. He smiled and shook his head “Don’t worry about it! I’m glad that you and your friend are not injured or anything. Sorry for calling you out on weekend although you said you have practice.”

This time around, Kyungsoo was the one who shook his head excessively “Ah, no hyung! No, I mean—I’m glad you wanted to tell me in person about your engagement. I brought along my friend here,” He pointed to Baekhyun who had both his palms covering his small face. “Well, to release stress but I guess I was wrong”

Bogum nodded and Kyungsoo smiled apologetically. They stopped talking when Baekhyun’s voice creaked “Do you know her?”

“Baek—“

“Bogum hyung. Do you know about Minyoung?”

He frowned upon hearing the name “…Minyoung?” Bogum’s eyes went from looking at the small rocks scattered on the road, to the signboard hung on opposite store before he snapped his finger “Ah! You mean the girl in the rabbit costume?”

Baekhyun’s chest was moving up and down. Frustration and anger displayed clearly on his face. Not that Bogum realised the change of expression due to the dim light at the back door of the club.

“Everyone around calls her Baby”

Kyungsoo almost choked on his own spit “...What?”

Now that Bogum realised both of them looked bewildered with his statement, he cleared his throat “Uh.. Baby. She works here. To dance. Every weekend. I’m not sure if that is the Minyoung—you were saying..?”

Through gritted teeth, Baekhyun tried to make himself stand “That is surely Minyoung.”

Kyungsoo sighed and held firmly on Baekhyun’s arm. Afraid that he might collapse any time soon. The curve on his mouth curved downwards as he looked at his friend, “I’ll text you later hyung. Thank you for today. I think I can handle it from here”

Bogum put his hand inside the pocket of his slack pants “Alright then.” He walked to the backdoor of the club and opened it, a built bald man stood and held the door for him “Take care.”

Kyungsoo nodded and in an instant, he stumbled forward as Baekhyun fell down to the ground once again.

 

“Why…”

 

He didn’t even answer, instead, he looked at the boy whose eyes were now filled with crystal water about to stream down his face, staining his cheeks.

Kyungsoo crouched down “I swear, I don’t know anything about this.” As much as Kyungsoo hates the existence of the girl in Baekhyun’s life, he wouldn’t play dirty tricks like this to humiliate anyone since he’s more to a straightforward person.

Baekhyun sobbed even harder “What is all this… What.. What is happening. I don’t… I don’t understand”

The sound of Kyungsoo’s ringtone cut in and he straightened his body to take out his phone to answer the call

“Hello?”

“It’s almost midnight, where are you?”

 

Suho.

 

“Uh,” Kyungsoo bit the inside of his cheek as he looked down to Baekhyun who was still crouching down and has his face buried in his arms, shoulder bobbing up and down.

Another ringtone made a sound. It came from Baekhyun’s pocket.

Baekhyun lifted his head, eyes bloodshot red and as he stands, he rested his back against the wall. It was a specific ringtone hence he knew who the caller is.

He blankly stared at his screen before letting out a loud scream as he threw the phone to the wall, producing a loud sound of a gadget breaking into pieces.

 

“What was that!? Kyungsoo, where are you??”

 

“Later!” Kyungsoo answered and end the call. He went to Baekhyun and pulled him into his embrace “Byun Baekhyun,” He said calmly “Listen to me, you have to stay calm and we’ll figure this out together,”

It seems like throwing the phone with full force was the last energy Baekhyun had. His heavy breathing against Kyungsoo’s neck was slowly getting into a normal pace.

Kyungsoo tightened the hug “…I promise.”

 

 

Kyungsoo put a finger on his lips when Suho got up from the couch, opening his mouth wanting to bombard them with question. Since Kyungsoo is a lot wiser and Suho is well aware about the fact, he closed his mouth but the expression plastered on his face was clearly unsatisfied.

“You want to stay in my room for tonight?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun shook his head. He doesn’t want the rest of the members to see his condition right now. He’s at the worst of the phase and his mind couldn’t really process any reasoning or collect any proper words. “I’ll just—“ He sniffed, “I’ll just head to my room”

By saying that, Baekhyun really went up to the room that is originally designed for him and his future wife.

 

“He’s staying there? Really?” Suho confirmed and Kyungsoo shrugged. Baekhyun’s shadow went with its’ owner inside the room when he enter it and closed the door.

Kyungsoo sighed and plopped himself on the couch as he closed his eyes tight. “Don’t ask me anything, I’m too tired”

 

“Hey!” He opened his eyes when Suho threw him a pillow straight to his face.

He groaned “It’s Baekhyun’s personal matter. Let him do the talking, not me.”

Suho rolled his eyes and folded his arms. He knew Kyungsoo doesn’t really like to ramble about other people’s lives what else into gossiping. He sat on opposite of the couch, facing Kyungsoo.

 

“But Hana is in there tonight though.”

 

 

After plugging in the cable and successfully see the ‘charging’ mode on the phone near the plug located beside the door under the makeup table, Hana stretched her limbs. Arms high up in the air.

As if on cue, the door was opened, revealing a silhouette before the full figure show itself stepping inside the room. Her motion stopped when she met eyes with Baekhyun. They were both staring at each other for a good 10 seconds before Hana let out a deep breath and broke the stare. Little did she know she was holding her breath.

Baekhyun looked different. She couldn’t define the term properly but that is just how it is. Different than the usual that made Hana couldn’t come up with her usual remark.

She brought her arms down and spun her heels around to navigate herself to the bed. The room was silenced with only the sound of the ceiling fan whirling round and round.

Hana’s hand clutched on where her heart is located. She groaned and inhaled a deep breath. There it is, the feeling of her heart thumping louder than it should be that somehow hurt her chest.

 

She heard a sigh. A sigh that did not come from her lips.

Since the bed is placed at the corner of the room and not the centre, Hana climbed up first and took the place where she can back-facing the wall.

It’s a habit of hers to face the wide space instead of back-facing it. She hated the feeling of there might be something behind that she did not know of. Therefore, the easy way is she will always lay on the bed back-facing the wall.

Hana felt the bed being pressed down when Baekhyun came closer.

She turned around, lying flatly on the bed just to see Baekhyun hovering over her body.

And once again, she held her breath.

 

“What the f—“

Hana was silenced when Baekhyun’s droopy eyes met hers. He looked sad. The kind of sad that Hana had never seen it before on anyone.

“Change” He said.

Now, she can breathe properly. “What?”

“Change place.” He spoke again but this time sounding like a whisper. He diverted his gaze to the other spot on the queen-sized bed.

 

So, he wanted to be near the wall.

 

Hana frowned and pushed him away lightly “No.”

Elbows plopped on the bed, her eyebrows rose up. Baekhyun actually fell down on the other side of the bed with a light push. As if he had no energy left in his body.

When she thought Baekhyun would fight over the spot, Hana was wrong.

She wanted to say something but when Baekhyun curled himself on the bed, facing the door in silence, she scratched her head instead.

With just a snap of the finger, the light went off.

 

 

Opening one eye slowly, she swallowed hard. She wanted to do a double confirmation but the other person seems to be back-facing her and it’s hard to do so. But Hana swears she heard a sob. The sound is filling in the gaps of the silence in the room aside from the spinning fan.

Hana stared at the back figure whose hands were placed under his head while he lay sideways. A few minutes passed and she looked up to the ceiling when droplets of water hit the roof.

It was raining heavily.

As the sound of the rain became louder, so does the sound coming from inside the room. She bit her lips when Baekhyun’s shoulders move up and down.

As much as she wanted to open , she couldn’t find the right word to utter hence it was only her hand that made its’ way to his shoulder.

Now she felt a sudden guilt of not letting Baekhyun take her spot. He must have had his reason earlier for wanting to be at the side nearer to the wall.

Hana’s hand subconsciously patted his shoulder slowly. Tapping as lightly as she can. Somehow, the guy that always wanted to be neck to neck with her appeared fragile for the night.

As if one touch can break him into pieces.

 

“Do you.. Do you want to turn around?” She whispered.

All she wanted was to switch place with Baekhyun so he can take the side where he wanted to be earlier.

In Hana’s mind, if Baekhyun did turn around, she’s planning to jump over the other side and let him be the one nearer to the wall. And of course she won’t sleep for the night, thinking that she couldn’t back-facing the wall.

 

Surprisingly, Baekhyun did turn himself around and faced Hana. As soon as she wanted to switch place, she felt a slight tug that made her body bounced back to the bed.

Her eyes grew twice bigger when Baekhyun scooted closer, arms wrapped around her waist. He was still hiding his face but this time, not with his own hands but against Hana’s chest.

 

There it is.

The sound of muffled cries that awoke her earlier. Hana didn’t know whether to control her breathing, her heart rate, or keep her mind focused on the situation.

All she did was patting the latter’s back continuously as if she’s lulling him to sleep although her mind remained blank.