03

Between sneakers and heels

"I said," The old man around his fifty coughed before continuing his sentence, "…choose, I'm giving you a week."

The maids rushed to him, some helped him up from the bed, some politely gave him a glass of water, and some helped to hold onto his cane.

 

Before his son closed the door, his voice boomed throughout the hallway as a reminder "Byun Baekhyun, a week."

 

"Baek-" Mrs Byun halted on her words mid-way as her only child stomped angrily outside of the room, navigating himself out of the house. She shook her head and sighed. She knew Baekhyun was discontented by his father's demand but they don't have any other choice.

Well, Baekhyun is the choice.

 

-

 

The teen boy laid himself on the floor, one of his arm draped over his eyes. His mouth was slightly parted open, panting hard due to his excessive non-stop vocal training.

"Don't overdue yourself." One of the seven voices in the room spoke up as he tossed everyone an isotonic drink to let themselves gained back their energy.

Baekhyun groaned in pain when the bottle landed on his stomach. He got up and sighed, raking his hair with his beautiful fingers.

The sound of them gulping down the water hurriedly filled in the silence. As the leader for the soon debuted group, Suho was the first one to approach Baekhyun. In any circumstance, if any of them were working too hard than the usual, they knew too well that the person has a lot in mind.

"Okay Baekkie, spill." sitting cross legged in front of the said person, Suho observed each of Baekhyun's movement. Soon, the group made a circle around Baekhyun. Rather than complaining because of feeling sweaty and worn out, they will always spare some of their time after training to have a talk and a consultation session. They were, after all one.

 

"Dad," He closed his eyes and took a deep breath "Ask me to get married to someone's daughter because of some business matter."

They exchanged confusing glances. Well, this is not something they can interfere since it’s related to family.

"Then, what's the problem?" Sehun asked without any hesitation and groaned afterwards as he received a loud smack from Luhan because of his question.

Baekhyun's brows met in the middle "Guys! I have a girlfriend!"

 

Kyungsoo folded his arms together, murmuring his disapproval about Miyoung, Baekhyun's girlfriend. Though Baekhyun couldn't figure out why Kyungsoo does not like Minyoung, she is still his girlfriend. "Dude," He sighed again "Stop it. She's my girlfriend."

The latter shrugged "I'm telling you Baek, she's not good for you. Not good."

Chanyeol and Kai placed their hands on Kyungsoo's shoulder, signalling him to stop bringing up the topic again. It all started the day Kyungsoo admitted he saw Minyoung in the club, clinging onto other guys for money but Baekhyun wouldn't listen. He said he had placed all his trust on Minyoung.

When the girl said she was at home, sick. Baekhyun tried to convince Kyungsoo but to no avail.

 

"We'll come up with something Baek. Maybe," Suho tapped his chin, "..We can do it like in the dramas."

Sehun blinked rapidly, the words did not register properly in his mind. "What kind?"

"Ah, you know. Tell the girl that Baek is not interested. They get married based on a piece of paper then after a few years, divorce and Baek can go back to Moyoung." Kai explained but Suho frowned upon the statement. "What?"

"It's Minyoung." Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

Suho shook his head "That sounded a bit cruel.. Girls have feelings too you know."

Chanyeol nodded his head in agreement, he has a sister and he hates to think that someone will hurt his sister's feelings.

 

"Yeol," Baekhyun looked over his shoulder searching for his best friend "What do you say?"

Chanyeol straightened his body, biting the inner side of his cheek "Hm. Maybe you should meet her first and who knows, she might be the one for you?"

Kyungsoo immediately nodded "Anyone but Moonyoung."

"Minyoung." Baekhyun face palmed, "Blergh!"

 

 

"Tell her we said hi" Suho patted Baekhyun's shoulder before he went to the opposite side of the road.

At first, Baekhyun hesitated for a second before retreating from the group. Apparently, he got a phone call from Minyoung and they promised a date.

"He'll go to bed dog-tired" Kai muttered as soon as Baekhyun dashed away from the group. "Can't he skip the date? I mean Minyoung should know better how Baek is doing." Sehun asked and the only reply from Kai was a mere shrug.

 

 

It was kind of refreshing to gain some fresh air outside of their training room sometimes. As the boys joked and laughed on each other, Luhan halted on his step when something blocked his way.

He looked down and saw a soccer ball rolled to his feet, stopping at the tip of his toes.

"Hey!" A voice from behind made him turned around. A blonde boy jogged towards him. He was playing soccer with his friends and Luhan assumed he was right as he saw beads of sweats trailed down his temple. Smiling, Luhan kicked the ball and the latter used his feet to manoeuvre comfortably on the cement floor.

The boy squinted towards Luhan as if he had seen Luhan somewhere. He snapped his fingers and giggled "Xie xie!”

Luhan stood there with his mouth agape. How can he tell that Luhan is a chinese?

He heard Sehun hollered his name and it turns out the boys had walk a little too far from his spot. Luhan was about to trot to them but whipped his head at the opposite of the direction when the blonde boy earlier yelled to his friends. "Oppa you're too much!"

Cocking his head, Luhan frowned. Oppa? Isn't oppa is for-

"Luhan hyung!" Sehun cupped his mouth, echoing his favourite hyung's name. Luhan snapped out of his thought and smiled "Coming!"

 

"Geez, what are you doing at the back? We can play soccer later." Sehun slung his arms around Luhan's shoulder as the latter ruffled Sehun's hair. "Who was that? You know her?"

"Nah," Luhan shrugged and the both of them fastened their pace, "Just some chinese foreigner I guess."

Sehun raised a brow "Chinese?"

"He thanked me in Chinese instead of Korean, maybe he knew his own... uh.. kind?" Luhan wandered. He was confused as well as the maknae. Sehun chuckled "Weird. You looked like a Korean to me. She got eyes of a hawk."

Luhan nodded but then he frowned, "She? What do you mean she?"

Sehun stuffed his hands into his pocket as they stood among the crowd, waiting for the traffic light to turn red "Obviously, that blondie is a girl."

"I thought that kid is just one of those pretty boys who likes to keep their hair a bit longer" He wanted to deny on Sehun's judgement but he remembered earlier that the 'blonde boy' just said oppa instead of hyung.

Besides, the girl tied her hair and Luhan couldn't really differentiate the look of girls and boys in here. In fact, he had been mistaken a lot as a girl. He tilted his head in confusion when he saw Sehun was at the end of the opposite zebra walk, going berserk as he waved his long hands up high to call Luhan.

He shook his head and jogged to Sehun. Seems like he zoned out too much today.

 

 

"Loser." Zico slipped out his tongue and rubbed his shin. His sister was kicking him continually today. L rubbed his bare arms and shivered when the breeze went passing by. "Don't you oppa us, loser takes the punishment."

It was rare to hear Hana calling them oppa even though the two of them were her big brothers. Zelo is the only one to call Hana as noona sometimes and of course hyungs to his brother in terms of manner.

"Ah oppa~" She cooed unwittingly and the three of them burst out laughing "Ew, that doesn't fit you! Stop it!"

Hana felt herself cringing at how she sounded, she might have a voice that resembles a little kid, but she never use that advantage to do aegyo. Hana just couldn't.

"Ouch! Back to herself." Zico massaged his calf as Hana kicked him again.

Hana hugged the soccer ball and sat down, facing her brother "Not fair! You kicked it out of the way where that chinese guy was walking."

"Isn't he a korean?" Zelo blinked. He remembered the boy's facial feature earlier. Wasn't that boy a korean?

Hana wiped the sweat using her palm as she shrugged "Just a guess. He didn't refute about it anyway."

L sat beside his sister and used his handkerchief to wipe the perspiration from his sister’s forehead. He didn't really use it anyway since he wasn't that keen in playing soccer, therefore, he barely sweats. "Now now, be a good baby girl and let's head to the street. I've been craving to eat corn dog."

"The big hot dog that has corn around it?" Zelo beamed. He was slightly drooling and not to mention how loud his stomach has been screaming out of hunger.

 

Ignoring the protests of her brothers, Hana fished out her phone from the pocket bag that was wrapped around her left arm as her fingers skilfully dialled the number that she always kept in mind.

A 'hello' came after a few ringing; Hana stood up and smiled brightly "Yo Ren! Where are you guys?"

She nodded her head but soon, the smile on her face faded. She was frowning and bombarded the latter with questions throughout the phone call. At the end of the call, Hana sighed and plopped back down to the floor.

"Ssup?" Zico placed his hand on top of Hana's head, rotating the girl's head to face him who was still standing. The crease on her forehead became visible as she huffed out loud, "They are working. $ucks."

Her brothers exchanged glances as Hana muttered to herself. Her muttering was too loud anyway "Why would they work? Damn it those brats have school and now they are working? Why can't they just listen to me and go through the suffering of working I swear I'm going to rip their heads when I see-"

"Noona," Zelo chortled, "Let them be. You can't babysit them forever."

L nodded "Zelo is right. Come on, I want corn dog~"

"You and your posession." Zico snorted and was replied by L poking out his tongue. Since Hana is smaller in size compared to them, the two of them which usually Zico and Zelo would squish her when she stand at the centre. They literally cut off her oxygen by slinging their arms around her neck which later they earned a few smacks from Hana because she would be yowling for air.

 

 

"I think Hana is cursing us," Sungjae wiped off the blood that dripped down from his mouth, "I kept accidentally biting my lips."

V threw a box of tissue to his friend and placed all the cups and glasses in the sink before walking back to the cashier spot. "I think so. We didn't tell her we're going to work here."

Professedly, as the three of them walk in the cafe, the manager was running out of hands since his workers just resigned a few hours ago. It was their luck that all three of them were approved by the manager of the cafe and hired them in an instant since he needed help. He told them they will be working in different shift but as for now, all three have to work since his employees were out of sight, nowhere to be found.

The front door opened and a bunch of boys stepped inside the cafe. Sungjae frowned, he couldn't greet the customers with his bloody lips.

"Bloody Hana." He whispered. He looked around and saw Ren was washing the dishes in the kitchen "Ren!"

The latter turned around and put an extra force to whip his head around, he needed to get his bangs out of his eyes anyway. Sungjae jogged to the kitchen and patted Ren's bum "I'll take over here, can you take orders for the customers?"

"Where's V?" He untied the loops of his apron and passed it to his friend "Flocked by the girls. He's too busy taking orders from the same table frequently."

Ren chuckled and combed his hair to look presentable to the public "Figured.”

 

A bright smile was plastered on Ren's face as he walked out of the kitchen. His pouty lips curved upwards as he politely took orders from new customers.

The manager looked baffled all the time. It was hard to gain customers nowadays but since the arrival of his new employees, the front door won't stop producing the 'clink' and 'clank' sound coming from the bell on top of the door.

V skilfully carried the trays and stopped at each of the table that placed orders. He even got a lot of tissues that contained numbers in it. To be honest, the three of them had been receiving the same. Though they were slightly afraid that the manager would get mad due to the run out of the tissues in the cafe because of them.

 

 

"Hi, what can I get you?" The waiter came up to them, holding a piece of paper and a pen on his slender fingers. Seven of them placed their orders and the waiter hurriedly went back to the kitchen, probably to help his co-worker since they ordered quite a lot.

Sehun plopped his elbow on the table with his chin rested on his palm "Hyung, guess that one."

Luhan raised a brow "What?"

All seven pair of eyes followed where Sehun was pointing, "The waiter?" Chanyeol raised a brow, "What's with the waiter?"

Sehun slipped out his tongue "I'm not talking to you."

Luhan tapped his chin thoughtfully after registering on what Sehun was trying to tell him "Mm, a.... waitress..?"

He shifted on his seat, scrutinizing the figure. The waiter isn't someone built, looking too fragile for him. The waiter's hair is the same length as the earlier blonde confusing girl he met earlier but a bit shorter by glancing at the ponytail.

"Waitress? He's a waiter Lu." Suho waggled his finger. He corrected Luhan's grammar as he thought the same with Sehun. Luhan shook his head "Look at her, she looks like the girl we saw earlier."

"But you said the girl was a boy." Sehun raised a brow. Luhan blinked naively "Then, this must be a girl too."

Kyungsoo cut in when the both of them won't stop replying each other comments "Hold up, what are you guys trying to do?"

Sehun chuckled "Just testing on Luhan hyung's acknowledgement in gender."

Rolling his eyes, Luhan folded his arms together. This time, he knew he got it correct. No doubt.

 

"We'll see." Kai gave signal to his friends through his eyes that the waiter/waitress was heading towards them. As soon as an order was taken from the new customer that sat behind them, Kyunsoo held up his hand and waved.

The said person walked closer to their table and smiled "Yes?"

Kyungsoo nudged Kai and the latter cleared his throat "Um.. I.. I was wondering," His gaze fell on Chanyeol who was watching the scene in amusement. A smirk crept on Kai's face "My friend here," He placed his hand on top of Chanyeol's right shoulder "Would like to have your number."

Chanyeol's eyes grew bigger, resembling Kyungsoo as the boys bit their lips, preventing themselves from smiling.

The employee's smile was then replaced by a forced one. He politely bowed "I'm sorry, I'm straight." He scurried away from the group leaving Chanyeol on his seat looking lost.

"The heck?" Luhan's mouth twitched. "That pretty waitre- I mean waiter is a boy?"

Sehun and Kai high-fived. "You koreans are weird." He defended himself, leaning backwards to his seat.

"We're just pretty." Sehun defended without taking the smirk off his face.

 

 

"Really?" Chanyeol whined but no one seems to pay any attention to his complaint.

Brats

 

-

 

"Sungjaeyahh~" Ren cooed and tugged the hem of the said person's shirt. "Can we change back? I’d rather stay inside."

Youngmin dried his hands with the apron and turned around to face Ren who was pouting like a little child "Got flocked by the girls?" Sungjae shrugged as he continued, "You gotta chill. Look at V. He's doing just fine."

Ren unwittingly shivered "I'm illicit to be out from the kitchen."

"Your point is..?" Sungjae cocked his head sideways when Ren untied his apron and pulled it away, putting it on himself "Hyung." He breathed out and placed both of his hands on top of Sungjae's shoulder. "Be careful with a bunch of handsome boys outside. Like, really. Careful."

He kicked Sungjae away, sending a 'fighting' motion before continuing his duty in the kitchen.

 

"What are you doing?" Suga, another waiter in the cafe mouthed when he saw Sungjae was standing still at the centre of the cafe, looking bewildered. He sheepishly smiled and walked to the table where the customers were about to leave. He needed to collect the empty plates before another customer came in.

Passing by the group of boys that Ren mentioned to him earlier, Sungjae took a secretive glance at the corner of his eyes. He saw one of the boys that looks tanner than his friends was putting someone that looked like the smallest in a headlock. Just like the way Hana likes to do to them. A pair of boys that looked like twins in a first glance were keeping each other's hair in its place. A little bit of bickering in the process.

Sungjae accidentally met eyes with the calmest and sweetest expression among the boys. He bowed his head a little and the latter replied with a bigger smile and a polite nod. His gaze was twinkling from afar.

 

As Sungjae wiped the dirty table with a rag, he shuddered. Ren's voice kept echoing inside his mind. They're all too good looking to be interested with each other.