16

Between sneakers and heels

“We’re going to take off first” Kyungsoo guided them out of the house leaving Baekhyun behind who was pouting all the time. Suho spun around and squinted both of his eyes “You’re not getting away with training so there’s an extra hours added for ya”

Baekhyun’s jaw dropped “Hyung! How could you!”

Suho waved his hand in dismissal and laughed the matter off with Kyungsoo as the two stepped out.

A head popped out in a split second before screaming “Don’t worry Baekkie, I’ll be there to accompany you!”

He laughed and nodded his head “Stupid Yeol.”

 

It turned awfully quiet that Baekhyun became annoyed. He hated silences and everyone knows that. While he wondered if the silly girl was still at the backyard, the doorbell rang.

He straightened up and even brushed away the dust that probably on his tee. Well, at least he should appear neatly presentable in front of his so called in laws.

Unlike the other one who doesn’t even bother nor gave the dαmn

 

“Mom, dad” He opened the door and faked a smile, bowing for the second time, he met eyes with the other two folks “Mr Park, Mrs Park.”

Mrs Park covered with her palm, blushing “Oh Baekhyun, you can just call me mother as well.”

He nodded and bashfully smiled. He stepped aside to let the elders fully let themselves in before closed the door.

“Where’s deary Hana?” Mrs Byun cautiously walked along the living room, some boxes were still in the way. Must have been the boys.

 

Hana was dusting away the leaves on her hair when suddenly she looked up “Oh,” She exclaimed “Mummy~ Daddy~”

Mrs Park frowned but forced a smile. Words coming out from her gritted teeth,  “What’s with…. your hair…”

Hana shook her head to let the leaves planted in between strands of her hair as she giggled “I fell from the tree”

“YOU WHAT?!” Baekhyun nearly shouted but Mrs Park had already done it on his behalf. Thank god.

 

Mrs Byun looked like she was x-ray-ing Hana’s whole body. Inspecting her bones and muscles “Oh my god my dear, are you okay?”

She nodded cheerfully “It’s okay, I’m used to it.”

“Byun Baek,” Mrs Byun spun around and lightly slapped her son’s arm. His eyes grew wide, mouthing ‘what did I do’

“Why aren’t you taking a good care of Hana? She fell and got covered in leaves. What are you going to do about this?”

 

Startled after being bombarded with the sudden questions, Baekhyun unknowingly stepped closer to Hana, plucking the leaves and small twigs on her hair. He was smiling yet gritting his teeth “Dude why the heck did you climb the tree?”

Hana blew her fringe so that they accidentally got into Baekhyun’s eyes “Because it’s fascinating. That’s why.”

“What is fascinating anyway!?” Baekhyun growled.

She shurugged “The pretty moth”

 

Baekhyun groaned and rubbed his eyes as Hana continued to mess up her hair in an attempt to get rid of the golden dried leaves on her hair.

“Stay still would you?!” He whispered harshly while keeping the smile on his face. Hana rolled her eyes and since there were spectators around, she decided to let Baekhyun be the main actor.

He blinked his eyes quite frequent when his finger go through her hair. It was as if he was caressing a silk- no even more than that. His beautiful looking fingers didn’t even get tangled around her hair unlike the end of Minyoung’s split end. Was it because her short hair?

Baekhyun was suddenly blinded by the golden hair. Shining. Twinkling.

 

“Aww” Mrs Byun silently nudged Mrs Park as both of them giggled at the back of their husbands’ figure.

 

The hell Byun Baekhyun?!

He accidentally pushed Hana’s head, and looked away. Rubbing his forehead in an awkward manner afterwards. He must’ve gone crazy.

 

 

“Duh.” She rubbed her head and combed her hair. While the girl was running her fingers through her hair, Baekhyun couldn’t help his eyes to keep on stealing glances.

Her hair reminded him of something that is very unlikely him to think about cotton candy.

 

Byun Baekhyun stop it!!

 

“Yah,” Hana whispered. Baekhyun swallowed and looked back “W-What?”

She frowned seeing the boy suddenly produced sweats on his temples “Go get the drinks.” She ordered.

Baekhyun was giving an are-you-kidding-me looks on his face so Hana shrugged “Can’t get me messing up in the kitchen again.”

He puffed his cheeks. He too, doesn’t want Kyungsoo to get pissed. Unwillingly, he trudged to the kitchen while Hana guided their parents to the living room. As for the girl, she jumped on the single hand shaped couch and crossed her legs.

Mrs Park cleared and threatened the girl with her eyes almost popping out of its sockets but as usual, of course Hana wouldn’t care any less. She was actually praying Hana could at least cross her legs in a ladylike manner instead of crossing them on top of a couch.

 

“So, Hana.” Mrs Byun smiled “How’s Baekhyun?”

She tossed the remote control beside her and pouted her lips in an act of thinking “Hm, aside from being an a$s with the other boys, I think he’s cool.”

Mrs Park suddenly laughed out loud as Mrs Byun exchanged gazes with her husband. “HAHAHA my daughter really likes to kid around. Hahahaha you’re so funny baby girl”

Mr Park snickered upon seeing how his wife was holding back to pull out the girl’s hair from her head. If there weren’t any Byun’s inside the house, both of the females might be running all over in the house, chasing and hiding.

 

Hana laughed and shrugged “But I’m serious though.”

This time, it was Mr Byun who laughed and even shut his eyes closed. They knew exactly the traits of Baekhyun and while introducing him to several of their friend’s daughter, this was the first for them to hear the complete truth.

“I’m leaving that brat to you” He spoke and smiled. A row of white fences lined in his mouth. Hana connected her index finger and thumb together as she winked “Kay!”

 

Baekhyun politely served the tea and put aside the tray while rubbing his neck “Sorry for the simple tea, the boxes in the kitchen are still messed up.”

Mr Park nodded “It’s okay son. We’re just here to visit the both of you.”

“Whoa,” Hana’s mother stared at Baekhyun “Hana couldn’t even make anything taste good.”

The folks laughed while Hana slipped out her tongue “Bleh, at least Channie acknowledge my hot chocolate.”

Baekhyun whirled his head towards Hana. Chanyeol? When?

 

“What did you talk about earlier?” He asked as he took the cup from the table, a few blowing of his breath before slurping the drink

“About you being an a$s.” Hana answered.

The hot tea was then sprayed on Hana’s face. She closed her eyes momentarily while Baekhyun’s mother rushed over, taking out a napkin and dabbed them on her face. Asking Hana non-stop on her current condition.

“Mom, mom, mom,” She grab a hold of Mrs Byun hands and smiled “It’s okay.”

 

Mrs Byun’s shoulder dropped. Why does it felt good to hear that from a daughter?

“See?” Hana pointed her finger to him “Told you he’s an-“

“HANA!” Her mother shouted “Why uh don’t you change first?”

 

Hana looked down and shrugged before getting up and headed to her room. Mrs Park was sighing in relief when Hana actually vanished from the frame.

 

“I’ll… go and check for her.” Baekhyun excused himself and climbed upstairs as soon as he can, in an attempt to run away from the folks as well.

 

“Sorry about that. Hana is a bit hard to explain.” Mr Park spoke shyly but Mr Byun waved his hand “The same goes to Baekhyun.”

Mrs Byun’s face was filled with joy. Then she took Mrs Park’s hand “How lucky for you to have a daughter and sons in your life.”

She softened and patted the latter’s shoulder “Don’t say like that. From now on, Hana is your daughter as well.”

From that moment, she knew she wouldn’t find no one else better than the one named Park Hana who will soon be Byun Hana.

 

 

“YAH!” Baekhyun covered his mouth from shouting louder. He nearly stumbled as he spun his heels on the other side to face the door and back facing the other person inside the room.

“What” She voiced out nonchalantly as she struggled on putting her arms through the sleeves of her sweater

Clearing his throat, Baekhyun’s hands then goes down to his waist, still unable to turn around “At least lock the door. Why do you always go around half ?!”

“When” That tone again.

He rolled his eyes but knowing that Hana wouldn’t see it, he sighed “Earlier. In the morning. You, getting out the washroom remember?”

“So?”

“We’re all guys in here you know.”

“So did our house.”

He tilted his head “Which house?”

“Both”

 

He turned around, eyes wide, lucky for him Hana was now fully dress even though her hair was kind of messed up. “Basically,” He shook his head and blinked “You’re saying in your house with your brothers, and the house with your friends?”

“Bestfriends.” She pressed on the subject and nodded. Was it supposed to be a big deal?

Baekhyun’s hands flew everywhere “The h€ll?”

 

Okay whatever since there weren’t members around, profanity was what he really needed right now “Excuse me for the fact but I swear those guys- I mean what kind of retαrds are they to let you continue living like this?!”

 

He isn’t that short compared to Hana but when the girl changed her expression, it was suddenly she turned into a totally different person that he saw earlier. The childish and cheery blondie was gone and replaced by a frowning and fired up girl.

He felt so tiny.

 

“You’re not in the fu©king place to say that” She jabbed Baekhyun’s chest. The latter getting his steps backwards with every jab he received “I’m the one who decide to live like this so don’t you dare!” She shouted “Judge them.”

She was so close that Baekhyun felt his breath collided with her when all she did was to open the doorknob, opening them and boom!

 

He fell flat on his bum$.

 

“I’m going out.” Was all she said before grabbing her cellphone on the couch she sat earlier. Mrs Park was about to stop her when Mrs Byun grabbed her hands and shook her head, saying she don’t mind.

She secretly had a thought that Baekhyun must have had done something to make the girl became hyped up.

 

Baekhyun was still on the ground at the first floor when Mr Park stood up “I guess we should leave the kids.”

Mr Byun agreed and stood up as well, not forgetting his cane. Both of the women walked out hesitantly and when they shut the door, Baekhyun collected back his sanity. “What.. just happened?”

 

He scoffed. Byun Baekhyun never let his guard down. Nevertheless to a girl. He was beyond pissed.

 

While stepping on the stairs going downstairs, the doorbell rang again.

He groaned. This is so not the time for the members to forget their keys nor for their parents to come back checking up on him.

Heck! He doesn’t even need a check up!

 

Baekhyun had to look up to the visitor standing in front of his door. His height was closed to Chanyeol but he knew this guy is absolutely a kid judging by his facial feature. He is somewhat familiar.

 

“May I help you?”

“I’m Zelo.” The stranger answered to Baekhyun’s non related question.

 

 

“Huh?” Baekhyun blinked.

“So,” The boy named Zelo squished himself in, leaving Baekhyun dumbfounded staring at his back as the boy made his way to the living room and found a spot for him to settle down “May I help you?”

 

As he served the drink, Baekhyun couldn’t take his eyes away. The boy was drinking calmly when Baekhyun blurted out

 “Are you guys blood related?”

Zelo shut his eyes momentarily then opened them, forming crescent shape after letting his dry throat savoured the cold liquid running through his oesophagus. “Of course! We’re a pair of non-identical twin. Why would you ask that?”

Baekhyun coughed. The question somewhat slipped his mouth “No, I... I thought you’re one of her friends”

Zelo doubted that his sister acted with full manner with Baekhyun. “You’re my hyung,” he tilted his head “Right?”

The latter nodded hesitantly.

 

“I’ll help you about noona.” He offered. Baekhyun then shook his head “Listen kid, I’m not interested with your noona and for your information, that Sungjae guy offered the same earlier.”

“Then why didn’t you hear them first?” Zelo asked.

Baekhyun blinked back, mouth opened. Again, baffled “I-“

“Living with her is complicated, I assure you. But then, not knowing noona might lead you guys to judge her, and might even hate her,” Zelo paused “You did, didn’t you?”

He crossed his arms and leaned backward against the couch “We did.” Emphasizing and trying to believe that he’s not the only one who hated her guts.

“See,” He frowned, not liking his prediction “She really hates judgmental person. I might not know you hyung, and your friend. But I have to say this, no matter what.”

He sighed. If he needs to survive with the person he hates, might as well learn about it. Again, a sigh escaped his lips “Alright, spill.”

 

Zelo was about to speak when the doorbell rang again, this time non-stop. He got furious and excused himself as the latter shrugged and continued drinking from his cup.

“Remind me to hire a fu©king maid to open the door every time they rang-“ Baekhyun stopped in his track, lightly slapped his own mouth “Words, Baekhyun. Mind your words.”

He was so going to blame Hana for every profanity added in his sentence.

 

Opening the door as wide as he can while expressing his rage, Baekhyun stared straight, unamused. “Where the heck is your key!?”

Sehun shrugged and was the first to step inside without saying anything

Luhan answered on his behalf. “Suho left them in his room.”

“Suho…?” Baekhyun asked to no one in particular.

Kai chuckled and stretched his arms “Are you on your period? You looked pissed”

Baekhyun waited until Suho walked inside to hear his explanation and left the door open for the remaining to come inside “What happened?” Baekhyun asked. Curiosity bugged him as to why the members are now back earlier than they should.

“It’s about our stage name. Some will have to change names. And…”

“And..?”

Suho blew a raspberry and jutted his lips towards Sehun who was already inside, shoulders slumped. “Luhan is not going to debut with us. He’ll debut with another sub group with the other trainees”

“You’re kidding me..” Baekhyun averted his gaze to Chanyeol who shrugged and heaved his breath away.

 

“Who’s that?” Suho asked. Baekhyun frowned, still letting his mind in daze “Who?”

“Oh hello there” Chanyeol greeted when the stranger stood up, giving a slight bow. Baekhyun turned around. Ouch, how can he forget-

The boy with blond hair smiled “Hello! Nice to meet you. I’m Hana’s younger twin, Junhong. But please, call me Zelo.”

 

Kai’s mouth fell open “…Who…?”

Zelo then clapped his hands, his bright expression reminded them of his twin. Man, the genes. “Cool! The more the merrier. It’ll be easier for me to explain then.”

Kyungsoo was the last one to step in, closing and locking the door before walking to the centre. He searched for Baekhyun “Explain what?”

Baekhyun blinked. Is it okay for him to drag them into this..?

 

 

Suho wondered how the boy managed to gather s around the living room. Including himself.

“So,” Zelo beamed “Here’s the thing about noona- I mean Hana. As you can see, she’s a bit open- minded since the duration of her living in the state was way too long and I believe all of you are older than her.”

Sehun shook his head “We’re the same age. Me, and Kai.”

Figuring out the date of birth, it turns out Hana was younger by months. Zelo held up his index finger “Believe me, she won’t even acknowledge you as someone’s older than her.”

“Even with her older brothers?”  Kyungsoo spoke. All heads turned to him, surprised. He shrugged.

Zelo shook his head in return. “My sister’s a brat” Then he smiled “But she’s nice. She’s a saviour.”

CHanyeol asked if the lad can explain further but Zelo refused politely, saying it should be Hana saying that herself.

 

“One,” His pinky was raised “Hana go out from the bathroom without bringing anything aside from towel so I really wish for you guys to avoid bumping into her during that time.”

“Why?” Luhan asked. Luckily Zelo didn’t realize the blush crept on their face. Sehun faked a cough. Zelo shrugged again “She got brainwashed, hyungs and including her best friends- those guys have been saying how ‘there’s nothing to see’ on her.”

Suho looked around uncomfortably “But still, your sister is still a girl.”

“Hardly,” Zelo chuckled “But trust me, there’s really nothing.” He swallowed then laughed “I’m just kidding. My noona is precious. You won’t get your hands on her to do anything before getting your bones broken.”

 

‘Second,” The next finger raised up “She never dried her wet hair.”

Was it a hallucination or Baekhyun saw the boy’s face fell down before clearing his throat and smiled. Chanyeol then ‘aah-ed’. That explains why she went out of the house this morning with droplets of water dripped down from her neck.

“Why?” Luhan asked. That’s the only question he could mutter anyway. “Hana forgot because all this time, it was either me or the hyungs did it for her.”

Chanyeol nodded “Sounds like she’s a likeable princess.”

Zelo immediately shook his head “I… I really hope you will all understand her.”

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat. Melancholy speech was so not getting in the way and he wouldn’t really like it if his friends got brainwashed as well.

“Moving on.”

 

The middle finger went straight up as he chuckled “Third,” He then wiggled the finger “We came to a discussion and decided you can punish Hana if she poked this out or curse.”

Baekhyun gladly nodded his head “Alright, I’m honoured to do so.”

“She can’t cook” Zelo said and straightened his index finger “We went to get ourselves a check-up the last time she decided to make dinner.”

They laughed. Is Hana really that bad?

 

Finally, five fingers popped out “Music. Blasted music might come from her wall, loud and disturbing. She loves loud music and mostly, guitar”

Chanyeol’s eyes grew wide “She does?”

 

Honestly, Hana didn’t even look like the person who’s interested in those things. It was as if she’ll ruin every instrument she touched. Going off with the music and pitching. “My sister didn’t even sounds like a girl isn’t she?”

 

Chanyeol smiled “Playing guitar doesn’t mean she’s not girly enough.”

Baekhyun pouted, silently disagreed. Minyoung is everything opposite than Hana. Her fingers gracefully danced on the piano, her flexible legs twirling while doing ballet, her adorable expression and bouncing ponytail during cheerleading competition.

 

Zelo then covered his mouth as he stared at Chanyeol “Ah, hyung no no no I’m not saying she knows how to play guitar.” He sheepishly ducked his head “She strummed her fingers as to however she like it to be and believe me, you might have the urge to crush the guitar to stop her from playing.”

Chanyeol scratched his head “Ah...”

Basically her twin was trying to say Hana real bad.

 

Kyungsoo poured the young boy a drink, smiling. He looked way too innocent to be acting mighty in protecting his sister that Kyungsoo finds it slightly adorable.

 Zelo finished with one shot and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Hana don’t like to be forced- well, except for this marriage thing. She didn’t like rules.”

Suho pinked as Kai laughed. Remembering how Suho tried to control the girl “But,” He sternly said “She’ll follow if you talk to her nicely.”

“Nicely~” Kai whispered as Suho rolled his eyes, shoving away the latter from bugging him.

 

Zelo puffed his cheeks, trying to pour as much of information on his sister. Luhan raised his hand “Do you have any idea about the stairs thing..?”

The latter laughed “I bet she fell down?”

Luhan nodded. He’d seen Hana thrice on the ground, right in front of the staircase.

“I heard my mom told the constructor to build slippery railings-“ He noticed the confusion then apologized “Hana has a habit since we were kids, she slid down the stairs using the railings.”

“Why?” Luhan again.

Zelo giggled “I wish I know why. I guess it’s just her habit. It’s faster that way?”

 

“Skinship,” Zelo snapped his fingers. “Hana’s a maniac when it comes to that. I mean not that my sister is crazy but if you happen to witness, she is just used to that. It’s as if sometimes I think Hana forgot her best friends are all boys.” He chuckled and pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

Sehun blushed. No one realized that right?

 

“Weird.” Baekhyun accidentally muttered. He was going to apologize but Zelo’s laughter cut him off “Yeah. She is.”

 

 

The no longer stranger then stood up, showing his long limbs that even Kyungsoo’s eyes turned wide. He is a lot younger yet so tall. “I guess I have to go now.”

The boys were about to stand up as well when Zelo prevented them “It’s okay hyungs! I know how to get myself out”

Baekhyun smiled “Well, it’s nice knowing you..” He bit his lips and rubbed the back of his head “…little brother”

 

They ‘ooh-ed’ but silenced themselves when Baekhyun sent them a glare. All of the sudden, Zelo hugged Baekhyun making the latter’s eyes grew as wide as saucers “Thank you hyung. Thank you for willing to listen about Hana.”

He awkwardly patted the younger’s back in return.

“Ah, right.” Zelo turned halfway to the door. All eyes resting on him. He smirked “I’m warning you, it’s dangerous to get attached to Hana. So, be careful!”

After that, he ran to the door bringing along his giggle fading in the air.

 

“Hah,” Kai scoffed. “As if.”

He turned to them after the childish warning “We won’t, right?”

 

The rest nodded yet shrugged at the same time. Satisfied with the answers, Kai turned to Sehun who was staring to the front door blankly “Yah, Sehun.”

He shook the boy’s body but no reaction was given.

 

The image of Hana earlier at the garden replayed in his mind. Sehun gulped nervously. No, Oh Sehun. It’s dangerous.

Dan-ger-ous.