04

Between sneakers and heels

Mrs Park fidgeted with her fingers and sighed with every minutes that passed by. Both of Hana's parents were waiting for her to come back with her brothers as they went out to tire themselves out with soccer.

"Do we really have to do this?" Mrs Park voiced out and gained a tad of courage to look at her husband as she speaks. Mr Park gave his spouse a trifling nod and swiped his finger on the tablet device that he never left out. "It's for her own good as well."

 

Thunders of footsteps were heard even from the living room as the four kids raced inside the house. The maids cautiously opened the front door and they bowed as all the young masters stepped inside.

"Hah! I win~" Zelo grinned triumphantly and was followed by the smile of his brothers. Hana was the last though. She tramped across the living room, much to her dismay where all three of them had already threw themselves on every couch that available.

"Short legs~" The youngest of the Park siblings cooed and earned a glare from Hana. 'fu©ker', she mouthed.

 

"PARK HANA" Hana jumped on her spot when her mother saw her mouthing the vulgar word. Zico, L and Zelo dashed upstairs to avoid their mother's lecture on how they spoiled Hana and were the source of her bad attitude.

She rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly and muttered her apology.

Just when she was about to trail after her brothers, her mother asked her to stay. Hana saw that her father put down the device he had been holding the entire day to his lap and let his gazes fell on her. She knew what the gesture meant. They wanted to talk

 

"Look, if this is about my appearance or my attitude yada yada yada, I've heard enough, alright?" She sighed as she used her fingers to brush her fringes backwards. Beads of sweats were still visible on her forehead.

"Hana," Mr Park called out her name and she immediately straightened her back "This is not an opinion or the right for you to choose. As you know, your brothers are rebelling on taking over the company. Zelo isn't that bright and I don't have any lads left."

Hana nodded and rose her left brow "So, you want me to take over then?"

Her mother took Hana's hands, "It’s okay if you don't want to—"

"Well, it's not like I have any choice. Besides, I don't even know what I wanted to do in the future. But!," Hana grinned, "No more forcing on what I want to wear or how I have to behave in front of friends and family."

Her mother was about to speak but Hana immediately cut in "I'll keep my manner to the business meetings and with those oh-so-mighty people, don't worry about that."

Mr Park's lips curved upwards slightly that it can barely be seen "I'm afraid there will be not just one company for you to handle."

"Eh?"

 

 

"You agreed?! Just like that??" Zico's jaw dropped. He placed his hands on both of Hana's shoulders and shook her violently "Park fu©king Hana do you even know what you are saying?!"

She swatted away her brother's hands and made a face. Her wet hair dripped down to the blade of her shoulders and Zelo quickly grabbed a towel nearby to dry his sister’s hair.

Hana never dried her hair herself. Zelo had always been her 'spare' hands.

The siblings gathered inside of Hana's room after she took a quick bath as soon as she finished talking with their parents.

 

Shrugging, Hana closed her eyes "Meh," Her head would move constantly side to side when Zelo damped the towel to dry her hair "I don't really care anyway."

Zico threw his hands in the air as L shook his head in disapproval "You never care, that's the ultimate problem!"

"Why are the both of you getting hyped up? It's not like dad asked any of you to get married." She said as a matter of fact. Hana opened her eyes when L flicked her forehead, bruising her skin "Ow!"

The blanket on her bed fell down as she kicked it furiously "What did I do?!"

 

"Noona," Zelo spoke out of curiosity "Are you really getting married?"

"Maybe." His sister replied nonchalantly and gave him a thankful smile for helping out as he'd always do with the hair.

"But he's a stranger though." L raised a brow.

She rubbed her forehead in annoyance. Her fair skin showing a slight redness on her forehead, "Which is why you flicked me that hard? Gee, so much of showing your care."

Hana fell flat on her bed when Zico harshly threw one of Hana's giant teddy bear towards her. Groaning, Hana randomly picked up her stuffed toys and threw it back to her brother which accidentally knocked her second brother down from the chair.

Soon, the room became a mess when four irresponsible people began to start a plushie war.

 

 


"We're willing to take over the company," Zico said in between of his breath "So that you don't have to get married of course."

Hana laughed and smacked her oldest brother on the stomach with the back of her palm. "Chill, there is no coercion used."

The four of them lay on the floor, forming a star shape and faced the ceiling.

"Nah, it's okay. It doesn't matter to me. Besides, the stranger must've refused to get married" She retreated her hands and rested them on her stomach "Both companies wanted to merge together but since the Byun's company just have the salient heir, he didn't have the choice."

"You have a choice too, Hana." L softly said. The guilt on Zico and L’s face were visible all the time. Hana continued laughing "And what? You're going to leave your dream to become a journalist? You're willing to throw your precious camera and forget all your wish list to travel around the world?"

L was left speechless.

Hana cocked her head a bit to look at Zico "And you, are you willing to sign documents instead of composing a song? Do you want to speak in front of bunches of old man instead of rapping in front of the teen girls?"

Zico looked away.

She turned back her gaze to the ceiling and smiled, knowing that Zelo was going to say something "Shut up Zelo. I know you're obsessed with dancing."

Zelo sighed.

 

"What about you?" The tone that Zico used was nearly a whisper. "Don't you have something you wanted to do? Don't you have any dreams?"

 

I do. To see both of our parents happy.

To see you guys achieve your dreams.

To let those dumb three boys lead a happy life.

 

The only audible answer that they got from their sister was a silence.

L plopped his elbow on the ground and supported the side of his face with his palm to face the girl but he was left baffled.

Zico and Zelo sat up to look at Hana. From the tense situation they felt earlier instantly vanished.

 

"WHY THE HECK ARE YOU SLEEPING WHEN WE WERE TALKING?!"

 

 

 

"Goodnight." Baekhyun kissed Minyoung goodbye on her right cheek before he rushed inside the dorm. The sudden call of his name made his heart skipped a beat.

He spun his heels around and rubbed his chest "Yeol, you scared me!"

The latter walked to him with a frown "You're late."

Kai was right. Baekhyun looked worn out since the afternoon where he left and now he looked like he'll pass out any soon. "Yeah... I uh.. Got into a little fight with Minyoung."

As the smaller sighed, the taller one slung his arm around the latter's neck and both of them walked back to the dorm together "She refused to let me send her back home. Said got something to do and sulked when I told her about what dad had told me to do."

"Wow," Chanyeol looked amused "That was quite fast."

"But I promise Minyoung." Baekhyun smiled "That I'm going to go back to her no matter what."

Chanyeol raised a brow "No matter what?"

"No matter what." He reasserted.

 

Baekhyun couldn't hide his smile when he received a text message from Minyoung. Yes he was tired but as long as it is for his beloved one, he wouldn't mind at all.

He loves Minyoung. That's enough.

The boys were given some time to get some rest as they worked hard during the past week. Baekhyun noted to his friends that Minyoung will come over to spend times together.

The girl was Baekhyun's first love. They met during high school and started dating for a year now. With an exception of Kyungsoo, the boys don't have any problems with Minyoung at all. They weren't that fond of her but by time, they got used to her presence and she wasn't that bad for a girlfriend package.

Her straight long hair made girls jealous of her. Not to mention that her eyelashes were undoubtedly beautiful. Minyoung's curvy body was something that attracted all eyes around her. She was just gorgeous and she is Baekhyun's.

Despite being a bit shy and secretive, her beauty covers it all.

"Hey, come in." Sehun politely greeted Minyoung as he opened the door, welcoming her in.

Minyoung waved shyly and stepped inside, putting her stilettos neatly beside the shoe rack. The boys casually waved and saluted her as she made her way to the living room.

The only one who refused to look at her was Kyungsoo. What made their expression always turned quizzical was that Minyoung wouldn't want to make any eye contact with the lad either.

 

 

"Obviously most humans use only a small fraction of their total useful brainpower and that most humans are you three retards" Hana rolled her eyes when her brothers snickered at her current attire.

"Get out! I need to change!" The boys retreated themselves when they felt Hana's wrath. "Jade, how could you do this to me?!"

Hana startled them by closing the door of her room, producing a loud bang. Jade, Joo and Melly kept apologizing over and over through the door and all they heard was Hana cursing nonstop.

L put on his poker face and waved his hands "Just leave her alone, we'll handle her later."

"But young master," Jade hung her head low "Young miss hated to wear dress the most."

Zico and Zelo high fived while L smirked "I know. We know."

 

Marching to the bathroom, Hana couldn't keep her hands to her side. She stared at the reflection of herself and cringed. Apparently, Zico, L and Zelo had asked the maids to change her pj's into a dress that their mother bought which Hana never touched it.

Out of nowhere, she woke up with the dress fitting her body. Blergh!

 

Stripped into only her undergarments, Hana's eyes trailed over her own body. She had to admit she is at disadvantage when it comes to beauty. Her nose bridge wasn't that high but her cheekbones were visible when she smiles wide. A small dimple formed on her right cheek.

She ate a lot yet she didn't have any idea where all the nutrients flow to. She is as skinny as a twig and her height is about 160cm, she even got labelled as a walking microphone.

The shape of her lips isn't that pouty and her eyelashes are short and straight unlike a lot of lass that curled their lashes. She is the type of where the other gender would look at her with just a single glance. Yet with the aura she emitted, they’ll look twice back.

She isn't that feminine by judging her looks, but she always kept in mind to be polite to elders. Never ever in her life she had been rude. Well, except for certain people who she knew they deserved it.

Hana admitted she is someone who has a lot of flaws and she knew that more than anyone else.

She just knew she's not perfect and she isn't trying to be one.

All Hana wanted is to be herself.

 

 

Baekhyun tightened the hug and planted a kiss on Minyoung's forehead "I can give you a ride back to your home."

"No, it's okay. My driver will be here soon." She assured and massaged Baekhyun's arms "You have to go, I understand."

The boy smiled and the girl walked away.

 

Baekhyun took another glance at the text message he received earlier from his father saying that he will have to go and attend the dinner where both Byun and Park company's family will be there.

 

"Going to meet your future wife?" Sehun teased when Baekhyun trudged back to the living room solemnly. "No, my future wife just went back to her home."

"And never come back." Kyungsoo muttered but Baekhyun decided not to argue with team members. He felt too tired because every word that Kyungsoo spouted will get under his skin.

Luhan patted Baekhyun's back and smiled "It won't be that bad. Trust me."

"And me." Chanyeol winked.

Kai hollered from the kitchen and from judging the way he talked, they can even imagined him smiling widely "Baekkie! Collect some story when you get back, oh? We'll stay overnight for you!"

 

 

Mrs Park face palmed. She was in her forty yet she was chasing over her daughter "Park Hana you better come here!"

Hana groaned in frustration and stood opposite of where her mother was standing "Not until you put that dress away!"

"No girl goes to a formal dinner with jeans!" Mrs Park yelled and got even furious when Hana clogged her ears with both of her index fingers.

Shrugging nonchalantly, Hana answered "Then, does a suit sounds proper?" She tapped her chin "Maybe I can used one of Ren's suit since he's quite my size-"

 

"Jaebom, I swear I'm going to shave your daughter bald if she won't come to me." Mrs Park rubbed her temples in exasperation. Hana shuddered at the thought but remembered something "My hair grows fast anyway."

True enough, Hana will always have Sungjae to cut her hair once a week. She wanted to cut it to even shorter but with the threat of her mother on throwing away all her stuffed toys made she kept her hair to an ear length.

Mr Park raised a brow, amused by the situation and tapped his watch "We don't have much time. Get in the car, ladies."

"Yes!" Hana pumped her fist in the air and quickly matched her pace with her father on the way out of the mansion, heading to the car.

Mrs Park slapped her cheeks "What did I do in my past life to receive this kind of betrayal."

 

 

Mrs Byun took her son's hand and squeezed it as she tried to comfort the boy. "Behave, alright?"

"I will." He faked a smile and averted his gaze to the car window. Maybe.

 

The three of the Byun's arrived first at the restaurant. It wasn't that fancy and neither of them wore attire that can gained attention. Mr Byun and Mr Park wanted to look simple yet presentable to each other therefore formal attire wasn't that obligatory.

His gaze wandered around and landed on the small garden located outside the restaurant. The sound of music filled the silence and he wondered if his father rented the whole restaurant. It was awfully vacant despite the beauty of the deco inside.

 

He woke up from his reverie when he felt someone nudged his knees. A pair of couple around his parent’s age was now standing in front of him. As a sign of politeness, he got up from his seat and bowed politely. A smile never left his face.

The elders hugged each other, smiling ear to ear and Baekhyun realised someone was standing behind the pair.

A... girl...?

 

Baekhyun tilted his head in confusion.

This girl?

This girl who wore something that resembled his attire is the girl he's going to marry?

This girl?

This blonde short haired girl is the Park's heiress?

This girl?!?!

 

They locked eyes for a good twenty seconds before Hana levelled her hand to her ear, opening her palm wide open and smiled brightly.

"Yo."