01

Between sneakers and heels

"Young miss! Please be careful!" One of the maids in the mansion clutched her chest; a horrified expression took over her face.

Hana grinned proudly as she landed perfectly on her feet. "Jade, see?" , She dusted the imaginary dust on the back of her black jeans.

 "I'm fine. Besides, I'm used to it."

Three of the maids exchanged worried glances at each other. The one that Hana called Jade is her main maid. While the other two named Joo and Melly are Jade's assistant.

"But young miss, my name is-" "I know you guys have korean names but," She tapped her temple using her index finger "I can't pronounce it well nor to remember the complicated names."

The three of them obeyed her orders; well at least Hana didn't call their names in a bad way. Living abroad for twelve years made Hana's korean tongue become foreign to her own mother language. She's bad at memorizing, she knew that. Besides, she might be the only one rich lass who admits her own flaws.

The ancient clock in the mansion produced a loud vibrating sound. Hana gasped when her phone vibrated "Whoa! Got to go, bye girls!"

Without further explanation, Hana dashed out madly leaving the maids who were just a few years older than her glued to their spot, stupefied.

Oh my god I can't be late!

 

 

"Did Hana just-" Mrs Park raised a brow towards three of the maids. They shifted uncomfortably and nodded. Mrs Park sighed and searched for her husband "Jaebom! your daughter slid down the pole of the stairs again!!"

 

 

"Three..." They gulped nervously. "Two..." A bunch of boys squinted their eyes towards the one who was holding a watch "One-"

Suddenly, the door of their house burst opened, revealing a girl who was panting "I made it!"

One of them snorted and casually leaned backwards to the side of his friend's shoulder. "No, you didn't. You're late for," He took his friend's hand to read the current time "1 minute."

Hana flipped them a finger which caused laughter amongst the three boys. "Tch tch, bad Hana is bad."

"You're the one who taught me that, V" Another one laugh "And you too Sungjae"

Both of them kept themselves silence. "Shut up the three of you. Hana, you're late. The punishment, remember?"

"Ren~~~~~ It's just oneeeeee minuteeeeee" Hana pleaded for mercy on her bills but Ren just folded his arms and together with Sungjae, they smirked.

 

"To the street!" Ren jumped from the couch and slung his arm around Hana's neck, dragging her out of the house.

"Con brats." Hana muttered under her breath.

"Bro, you say something?"

Hana faked a smile and slung her arm around Ren's neck, putting the latter in a headlock. Ren was cursing his friend all the way to the street, the four of them ignored every eyes and talks from people around them.

"You sure you can go out? I mean people might recognize you." V pulled Ren who was suffocating under her arm and frowned. They knew how well known their friend is and they didn't want to take the risk just because of the bet they made on the one who's late will pay the meals for the whole day.

Hana shrugged and slung her arm around V's neck "Nah, you guys can cover me up- hey!" She failed in an attempt to put V in a headlock when V twisted her arm and brought them down "How can we cover you up when practically you're the one who draw the attention?"

"Whatever." Hana blew a raspberry and led them to the nearest stall because the two boys kept bugging her that they need to be fed.

 

Whoever sees the group of four teenagers might have mistook them as a group of boys but the fact is there were only three boys and only one girl. Hana is not a tomboy either. She is just a girl whose her life has been surrounded by the male population ever since she was born.

The total of her siblings consist of two older brothers and one younger brother. In reality, it is just in her nature where she dislikes any girly stuff and does things that mostly boys do.

That, is Park Hana.

 

 

 

Hana simply threw a tissue on Sungjae when the latter's mouth got stained with his vanilla ice cream. "You know," He took the tissue and tossed it back to her "You could try to act like a girl and wipe it off from me."

 

The other two 'ooh-ed' and Hana smiled. But the smile was too well known among them.

Sungjae winced when Hana wiped his mouth harshly that even the tissue was torn apart. "Idiot."

"Who? You? I thought you’re a nitwit?" Hana raised a questioning brow. Realized that his sarcasm didn't work on his friend, Sungjae poked out his middle finger in annoyance.

"See, you're the one who taught me!" Squeaking, Hana hid herself behind Ren. "Hana, you're a sometimes but I love you."

She slapped the back of Ren's head with her fist "You're just saying that because I treat you guys."

Although the words coming out of their mouth resemble swords and knives, none of them took it seriously.

A pair of couple passed by and overheard the conversation as well as their gesture. The man scrunched his nose in disgust; the woman made a face. Her whisper was a tad too loud for Hana to hear them

"Ew. Rotten brats."

 

"Yo lady fat bum, we did not give out any ing disturbance here do we? What do you mean rotten?" Hana eyed her outfit that was too tight and short for her liking resulting into her scoffing out loud as she continued "Do you even have the money to buy clothes? Or should I lend mine to you?"

The woman's face turned scarlet. She tried to pull down her skirt and pointed her finger towards Hana shakily "YOU-"

Her pair persuaded her to just go away since Hana had already stood up, an intimidating aura erupted from her. The woman bit her lower lips as she dragged her boyfriend out from the store. "Hoyden brat!"

She rolled her eyes when the couple strode away. Fat.

 

 

"Hana." V called out. "You don't have to do that."

Her eyebrows met in the middle. She don't have to do that? "V, I don't care if she insulted me but that woman, just insulted you guys."

Clucking her tongue, Hana looked away. No one has the right to judge her friends. Be it her family or strangers, Hana never let anyone look down on her friends. She knew sometimes they look like spoiled kids wasting their money outside their house but Hana knew the truth better than anyone.

They were just like that when they gathered together. Their youthful character spread out. Hana knew she shouldn't attract attention since she is the one who will always be at the centre of attention during gatherings. But she knew her friends well, they don't deserve to be called rotten or whatever the societies list them in their vocabulary. Just because her friends appeared wild and out of their mind, doesn't mean that they are bunch of rotten kids.

 

Ren pulled Hana closer and kissed her temple "Aw that is so sweet of you."

"Gross." She smacked Ren's lips and saw how the faces of her friends fell. Hana knew their pasts and this is why she was always the one who stood up in argument whenever people judged her friends.

Sungjae took Hana's hand and smiled "I agree with V. You don't have to worry about us anymore or protect us." V nodded and continued "We're big enough Hana. We're not easily hurt like we used to back then.”

Sungjae puffed out his chest and punched them lightly with serious expression plastered on his face "From now on, we will protect you."

Hana couldn't help but to guffaw "Protect me?" She clutched on her stomach, feeling that it began to hurt because of the laughter "I just beat you two into a pulp a week ago."

V laughed as Sungjae and Ren averted their gazes, feeling suddenly embarrassed. Who told them to ask Hana joined in their wrestling match anyway?

 

 

-

 

"Ew," Hana scrunched up her nose, "That looks abhorrent."

Ren threw bits of popcorn to Hana, trying to make her close but Hana kept on complaining about the scene. "Hana shut the up."

The latter's head jerked forward as Hana knocked his head with her knee "I don't understand why you guys like this scene, V can you at least forward it a bit?"

She was wrong when she thought V was in the same boat as hers. V grinned and tossed the remote control to Sungjae as the boy stuffed them inside his pocket.

"B*tch." Hana glared at V who casually flipped back a finger. It’s a habit between them, what can they do?

 

She leaned backwards and shifted herself so that she’s comfortable. V didn't mind when Hana used his side to lean on because thank god she’s not that heavy. He is now the girl’s personal favourite couch.

The boys were too immersed on the scene where both of the leads were kissing passionately. "They looked like they are each ot-" She couldn't continue when Ren clamped with his palm since he was the nearest.

 

"God damn it, Hana!" Ren wiped his wet palm on her shoulder. He made a gesture that looked like he was about to whack her head and Hana instantly dodged.

"Is it always like that?" Hana asked. They whipped their head to her direction. Pointing her finger to the movie that was playing, Hana continued, "Kissing. Why does she looked weak during and after?"

They fell into a pregnant silence.

V plopped his elbow on the armrest of the couch, "How should we know, you're a half man and we're not girls."

"Are you saying that I'm not?" She raised a brow and Sungjae answered on behalf of V as he pushed Hana's legs away "Definitely."

When Hana clenched her muscles and refused to lift her legs that were on top of Sungjae’s lap, he groaned.

"Dude, move."

Sungjae couldn't stand up with Hana's legs on his thigh, he narrowed his eyes and she mocked him. "Park Hana,"

"Yook Sungjae."

"Get off."

"No."

 

Sungjae closed his eyes and swallowed "Get off me you lazy bum I need to pee!"

"Then, do it." Hana rested the back of her head on V's shoulder and grinned. That evil grin of hers.

Hana squirmed when someone poked her side, the most sensitive part. Sungjae took the chance to sprint to the bathroom, stumbling in process and almost kissed the floor.

"Ren!" Hana glared as the latter kept his poker face as if he did nothing wrong.

 

-

 

Hana tiptoed inside the house, trying to act sneaky but when the chandelier was still switched on, she knew her parents waited for her.

"Where have you been young lady? I've been trying to reach you since this evening," Mrs Park stood up from the couch and stepped closer "And what is this are you wearing? Park Hana, you're a girl."

Hana yawned as she rubbed her eyes tiredly. "Mom, lots of girls wear this kind of attire alright."

Her mother spun her around a few times, making her dizzy "I don't remember any girls have the same wardrobe with their brothers." Apparently, she was right. Hana's clothes were just the same with her brothers. They even share clothes and pants.

 

"Where have you been?"

This time, a firm voice spoke. Hana straightened her body in an instant. Though she might be tough, boyish and all stuff, she is afraid of her father. Mr Park is someone strict and he doesn't need action to gather his sons and daughter, all he need to do is to just use his voice and do the talking.

"I went out to meet my friends.." She fiddled with her fingers and prepared for an abrupt lecture. "Who was it?"

That was her father. He doesn't take things way too simple. If he needs to know something, all the details must be given and he didn't even need to do any violence. As always, words are always powerful.

Gulping nervously, Hana stuttered "Err.. Ren, Sungjae and V."

"All boys?" Her father turned around, an unreadable expression on his face "Uh, yes?"

The look on her father hardened "Lessen your time with males. You're a girl. A girl should hang out with females more." Hana was left speechless when her father dismissed her, telling her to go to sleep early.

She was holding back the urge to sigh out loud downstairs and when she reached her room, Hana instructed the maids to leave her alone.

Facing the ceiling mindlessly, Hana scoffed "A girl that girl this girl those girl these, ugh!"

It was too stuffy in the room or maybe it was just her heart? Hana closed her eyes without intending to take a bath despite the sticky feeling glued to her skin "Why is it so hard to be a girl?"

 

Hi!  Again, to notify you guys-- I’ve re-uploaded the story because I wanted to modify em. There are missing words in the lines due to vulgar words so I made my mind to change or blur the sentence so that you won’t be having a hard time reading. I’ve corrected the grammar mistakes as well. Also, I decided to reduce some of the characters. Just to simplify everything. Have fun reading!