Chapter 57 - Beginning of An End

Mistress of My Heart

            The next day, Mr. Cho released the news that he was no longer going to be in the joint venture with TS. He stated “TS’ failure to protect their partner’s reputations had allowed their incompetence to reflect negatively on the partnership.” The news was immediately linked back to the divorce rumors and the entire office was abuzz with gossip.

            His head secretary knocked on his door and stared at him grimly. “What did I tell you about having to make this marriage work?”

            Daehyun looked up. “This decision has nothing to do with our marriage. If anything, this is to save it. Mr. Cho needs to distance his company so that I can fix mine. Our marriage has moved beyond simply a business transaction, thank you very much for your concern.”

            The elder pursed her lips, not quite believing. But Daehyun only gave her a small smile. “We went on a dinner date yesterday,” he whispered. At those words, she couldn’t help but grin and came forward to pinch his cheeks.

            “Finally, my little Daehyunnie is growing up.”

            Daehyun waited until she stopped. “These are moments when I regret having my old caretaker be my secretary. You’re taking too many liberties.” But he said it with a smile. The only thing his smile did not betray was the heavy weight on his heart. Now that Mr. Cho had ended the joint venture, all debts would be on TS to fix. He knew his father-in-law would not be kind enough to lend any helping hands now that he has so publicly announced their break up.

            It was a move that Daehyun had been hesitating to tell him to make. Now that things were going well with Jinli, he had kept it to himself. But who knew his father-in-law would take it upon himself to break up the joint venture. With this, meant that Im could no longer have access to his accounts, and the pressure would increase on TS.

            From what Hyosung had told him, her uncle had not planted anyone in Mr. Cho’s company. It had solely been the linked accounts between his and TS’ that had created the access. Now that the companies were no longer partners, this was one source of illegal income lost.

            “Hyung, my friend in the tech department actually found something.” Jongup slid into the chair across from him and placed a thick manila envelope on his desk.

            Daehyun looked up and shuffled the papers out. “Mind giving me a quick summary?”

            “Yeah. Basically, all of the money is going into Hyosung’s bank account. There’s nothing that links this whole thing to Mr. Im at all. So either she’s dumb enough to be used completely or she’s lying to you and she’s the one behind all of it.”

            “That can’t be. It’s too big an operation. She simply doesn’t have the means to do it.”

            Jongup’s eyes narrowed slightly but he agreed. “I know,” he conceded grudgingly. “I can try to see if we can hire a private investigator and forensics specialist. Maybe we can dig beyond her bank accounts. Or, if she really is as willing to help, she will give us access to the account.”

            “You want me to talk to her?”

            “No. I’m saying we should talk to her.”

            “It’s probably better if I did it. She already knows how you all feel about her. That doesn’t make her exactly willing to help.”

            The younger man let out a tiny scoff. “So you’re admitting that she’s only doing this to get in your pants? And you’re just going to keep getting into bed -”

            “That’s enough.” Daehyun stood and glared at one of his close brothers. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            Jongup shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not.” Even when he left, the tension was thick in the room. Things had just started getting better with Jinli. Now was not the time to poke a hole through it. Jongup could think what he wants. But he really didn’t know anything.

            As if on cue, Daehyun’s phone lit up with a call.

***

            Jinli laughed politely and took the drink from one of the CEOs who had made the trip to Busan to celebrate her deal with the famous actress. Now that the project was formally announced and under way, it was creating quite a publicity buzz for the interior design company.

            “Have you considered coming back to the Seoul branch? We have lots of celebrities who are now lining up for you to visit their homes.”

             She smiled, feeling a happy blush spread across her cheeks. “I can always make the trek up if they wanted.”

            “We also have stars bursting to our Gangnam location, and lots of magazines want to feature you and your home. Have you been able to do any decorating there?”

            “Ah, it’s been such a hectic few months. I’ve been going back and forth between here and Seoul, and it almost seems like I’m never home enough.” But ideas were already curling in the back of her head. It wasn’t because she was busy that she never thought about transforming the huge two floor mansion into one that she envisioned. It was because she never regarded that as home. But now, ideas were forming, subtle colors, some warm and some cool, because that was Daehyun, and some patterns, because god those gray blue walls could be so boring sometimes.

            Maybe it was the alcohol running through her head but her mind was bursting with ideas and suddenly the yearning to go home. She tossed back the cocktail and bowed to her superiors. “I actually remembered, I have to go home to make dinner for my husband.”

            “Now? It’s nine.”

            Jinli gave a small smile. “He comes home fairly late. I really should be going.”

            “But this is your celebration party!” They were already beyond tipsy at this point and wanted her to stay.

            She bowed again and pushed herself through the crowd of colleagues. Taewoon grabbed her arm by the door. “Hey, you’re leaving already?”

            Her heart lurched in annoyance. All she wanted to do was leave and go home. “I should go. Daehyun should be back soon.” He let go of her with a small smile.

            “Drive safely.”

            The house lights were still off by the time she pulled into the driveway half an hour later. She thought about texting him but decided against it. She didn’t need him thinking that she was a helicopter wife. Instead, she grabbed a sketchpad and began to draw out the visions in her head.

            She was lost in her thoughts until a phone call startled her from her reverie.

***

            Daehyun stared at the woman in front of him. She was curled in on herself, clutching at her sleeves. Her eyeliner was smeared and a streak ran down her cheeks. Her nose was red and her lips were chapped from biting. Her fingers trembled as she bit back another shaky sob.

            “Stop crying,” he coaxed. “It’s not going to do any good. We have to think of a way forward instead.”

            “He already knows,” she mumbled. “You have to help me. He already made sure that I would be the one taking the fall if any of the investigations seemed to get closer to him. I can’t take this fall. He has an entire team of lawyers behind him. I don’t. I only have you.”

            He held out both hands to her. “Hyosung, I know. So you have to help me help you. I need access to your bank account.”

            She shrank back into herself. “I can’t. He monitors it. He will know when people have entered it.”

            Daehyun let out a frustrated sigh. “Then you need to go to the police. You need to write an affidavit. I can’t do this without proof. And if I cannot get physical evidence, I will need your testimony.”

            “It’s going to ruin me.”

            “What are you so scared of? What does he have holding against you that you are so scared to go to court?”

            Hyosung’s eyes dropped. “He paid for my entire education. After I left, I was able to go to London and study only because he paid for everything. When I came back, he gave me a job. And he paid off all my parents’ debts. I owe him everything.”

            “Did he pay for the abortion too?” Daehyun asked this bitterly and Hyosung looked up at him.

            “Dae, sweetheart, please. I had no choice back then. I had nothing but an undergraduate degree. I had to prove myself before I could even think about marrying you, marrying into this family. Daehyun, you have to understand me.” She came closer to him, sliding across the couch and pressed against his side.

            He shifted. “Forget it. Let’s not talk about the past. It’s what we have to do going forward that matters.”

            But Hyosung had already shifted away. “You’re always so cold to me! You come to me only because you need me and not because you want me. What do you want me to do?”

            He looked at her coldly. “I’m married. And my company is in a ing mess because your uncle knew how to use you. Right now, the last thing I want is to have this conversation. Hyosung, please. You can help me. Or I can bring over my legal team and pin this all on you.”

            “You wouldn’t,” she responded. But she stood up taller. “Fine. Then at least have this drink with me.” When he hesitated, she laughed. “Relax. There isn’t poison in there. It’s not like I can afford to have murder on top of embezzlement charges.”

He gave a wry grin. Despite everything, he had always admired her ability to pull herself together. Daehyun took the glass from her and took a large gulp. Hyosung continued speaking, “You can have access to my accounts but only through my private computer. You cannot access them from any other site or else my uncle will be suspicious.”

She continued talking but Daehyun’s head was slowly becoming heavy. He blinked once and everything was clear, blinked again and suddenly, the world was blurry. “What the hell?” he mumbled. And then Hyosung was coming closer and all he saw were her cherry red lips.

***

Jinli was shaking after receiving the phone call. “I’ll come get him.”

            “There’s no need,” came the curt reply. “I’m already near your home.”

            The car turned into the driveway and Jinli flew down the porch. Hyosung still beat her to it and staggered under Daehyun’s weight. When Jinli reached them, Hyosung practically threw him at her.

            “Take your husband. He showed up at my door, drunk out of his mind and started attacking me.” She lifted her hair to show a bright red hickey.

            “I apologize,” Jinli said stoically. She shifted Daehyun onto her shoulders. “Thank you for bringing him home.” And she turned to go back into the office.

            Daehyun was out cold. He didn’t even stir when she threw him onto the couch. The gush of air scattered the papers she had worked so hard on for the past two hours, all the papers that held plans for their home. Jinli swallowed but the cold stone that had lodged in did not go away.

            She left a glass of water on the table next to him and went upstairs. Nightmares haunted her sleep.

            Morning came earlier than she intended. She listened for any sign of Daehyun but heard nothing. When she was sure he wasn’t home, Jinli came downstairs. “Ah!” She jumped when she turned the corner and saw Daehyun sitting upright on the couch.

            He was staring into the abyss. His hands played with themselves and there were dark bruises under his eyes. His lips were pale and he turned dull eyes onto her when he heard her.

            “How did I get home last night?”

            Jinli’s jaw locked. “You were very drunk and someone drove you home.”

            “Drunk?” Daehyun gave a bitter laugh. “It was Hyosung wasn’t it?” When she remained silent, he came up to her and held her hands gently in his. “Jinli, nothing happened. I promise.”

            Tears were rapidly gathering in her eyes. Her nose was already clogging. “Okay,” she whispered.

            He turned her so that she was facing him. “Jinli, you have to believe me.” Even though his memories of yesterday were barely there, all he knew was that he definitely did not touch Hyosung. Judging from her expression, it was clear Hyosung must have used this as another way to push the two of them apart. He tipped her chin so that she was staring right at him.

            Jinli blinked and a single tear rolled down her cheek. “Yes. I do.”

 

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated. This story has sort of taken a life on its own and I didn't know how to proceed. This chapter might actually be a little eh, a little disappointing but I promise I'm starting to get to the point. And I think I've altered my style a little?? Something's definitely changed ha

But I think what's happening next will both make you all cheer for Jinli and also get so angry at me. 

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm finally finished with my law school apps so here's just waiting on results~