Chapter 43 - Lies and Deception

Mistress of My Heart

            The stocks seemed to improve slightly once Daehyun announced that he would be pursuing an investigation, and for a few days, things seemed to be slowly returning to normal. After celebrating their anniversary, the two of them had few interactions due to their busy schedules.

            “I won’t be back here for a few days. I have a convention to go to in Japan.”

            Daehyun looked up from his pile of papers. “Japan? For how long?”

            “Five days. I told Eunah to make sure there’s always food in the fridge. I know the company’s been stressing you out, but remember to take a few breathers every once in a while.”

            It was strange how Jinli’s caring no longer irritated him the way it used to. He smiled at her. “I’ve been taking care of myself for the last twenty-five years. I think I’ll survive without you here for five days.” His eyes went to the bracelet hanging off her wrist. “You’re wearing it.”

            She flustered a little. “Should I not be?”       

            “Of course you should,” he pretended to look offended. “If you don’t wear it, whose bracelet would you wear instead?”

            “Mine?” But she said it in jest. Things were so perfect between the two of them; it was a shame she had to leave. Impulsively, she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “Something to remember me by.”

            It was rare to see Daehyun with shock on his face but he recovered quickly. “Are you kidding me?” He grabbed her by the wrist and smirked. “Do you think that that’s enough?” His fingers wrapped carefully right over the point where she knew her pulse was giving her away. Once again, she found herself holding her breath as he came closer. His lips were parted and he started to pull her in.

            Suddenly, they jerked apart. The phone in his pocket rang, breaking the spell of the moment. Jinli cleared as Daehyun hastily replied, “Yes?” Seeing that it was a business call, she picked up her luggage by the handle and waved to him. “Just one moment. Have a safe flight!”

            Jinli couldn’t stop the smile from growing on her face. Turning to walk out the house, she hugged his blessing to herself. Please, please let Daehyun stay like this forever. She had counted the days, and knew that she would be back just in time for his birthday. She had already invited his friends, wanting to hold a small celebration together. If only the days apart wouldn’t change him, it would be perfect.

            She didn’t know why but when she got to the airport, he sent her a photo of him. He had drawn tear lines down his face. “Have a fun trip, and don’t forget the lonely one you left behind!” Jinli snorted and saved the picture. She clucked her tongue when she saw the top buttons of his shirt ed. “This Jung Daehyun. Does he think he’s that attractive?”  She turned her head away to hide her smile but that was when she felt someone walk up to her.

            “Are you this excited to see me?”

            She looked up to see Taewoon next to her. She coughed and waved a hand in front of her face, embarrassed that he had to see. “Good morning! Are you ready to take Tokyo by storm?”

            “Of course.” He naturally grabbed her luggage. When they were walking to the terminal, Taewoon glanced down at her. “So what happened that made you so happy this morning? Can’t possibly be the thought of spending five days with me, right?”

            “Ya, stop it.” She aimed a kick at him. “Be careful or people will think you’re trying to seduce a married woman.”

            “It’s working, I hope?” For a moment she feared he was serious but then he laughed and winked at her. “You should have seen your face. I’m kidding. I’m just using you to keep the crazy ladies my mom sends my way at bay. Knowing I have you makes me more willing to see them.”

            “You should take her matchmaking more seriously. It’s about time you settled down.”

            Her intern shrugged. “I’m perfectly happy where I am right now. Besides, I’d like to get better at what I’m doing right now before I can provide for a family. So, it’s up to you, master, to pass on all your wisdom to your disciple.”

            Jinli beamed at him. “Of course.”

***

            “Hyung, look at this. Someone bought a huge chunk of Mr. Cho’s stocks. And also I found out that there was an unused account that was opened a few years back by Mr. Lim that was recently reactivated.”

            Daehyun glanced at the information that Junhong placed in front of him. “There’s no way of accessing that account is there?”

            “No, unfortunately. It isn’t a part of the company that is working with us. But I can trace the person who bought the stocks. I think someone is trying to carve Mr. Cho out of the agreement. It could be Mr. Lim.”

            “Good work. Thank you, Junhong.”

            “Hyung, Youngjae-Hyung is coming. Do you want to get dinner together or something? Just like old times. Bring Noona!”

            “Yeah, and we might as well ask Jongup to bring his girlfriend too. What type of old times is that? Besides she’s out on a business trip. How about we get dinner tomorrow? I have some work I want to finish up.”

            The younger male grinned. “Alright. Message the group whenever Your Royal Highness is done with his work!”

            It has been over a week since Daehyun spoke to Hyosung. He twirled the pen over and over in his fingers and knew in his gut that what he was about to do would be sinking into a deep hole. He thought about Jinli and glanced at his phone. She had just sent him a text. He opened it and saw a photo of her smiling at him in front of the Tokyo airport. “Arrived! Eat, sleep and work well!”

            He closed the message and scrolled to Hyosung’s name. After moments of debating, he pressed the green button and held his phone to his ear, waiting for her response.

            “You’ve been ignoring me.”

            Daehyun turned to the woman next to him. Hyosung was sulking, her arms crossed over her chest. “Noona, please. I’ve been really busy lately.” He reached across to touch her. “Forgive me this once?”

            She sniffed and turned her sorrowful expression to him. “I thought you were still angry about the stocks thing. That hurt my feelings, you know.”

            He let his eyes droop into natural puppy eyes. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make it sound that way. It’s just, you know me. I need to prioritize work before anything else right now.” Daehyun held his breath, praying she would accept his apology.

            Hyosung looked away. “I suppose that’s one thing I find so attractive about you.” He grinned upon hearing her words and took her hand.

            “You think I’m attractive?”

            He saw her look him over, with her eyes settling on the ed dress shirt he had purposely let come undone before he saw her. “Are you going to drive me home or not?” Daehyun smirked and stepped on the accelerator.

            When Daehyun walked out of the showers, he saw Hyosung going through his phone. “Something interesting?” He watched her carefully but she didn’t even flinch. Instead, she flipped the phone so that the screen was facing him.

            “What’s with the whole ‘Jeon Hyosung’ business? You should have a more endearing term for me on your phone. I changed it for you.”

            Sure enough, she had changed it to ‘My Noona’ instead and he laughed. “If that’s what you like.” She nodded and leaned back on one elbow as she appraised his body, with only a towel wrapped around his waist.

            “I think I’d like it better if that came off,” she purred, indicating with her finger.

            Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “Round two already? Should have joined me in the showers then.” But he still followed her orders and pulled her to him.

            “Baby, do you know anything about the relationship between your company and Mr. Cho’s?”

            Hyosung moved her head away from his gentle . “Why?”

            “I’m thinking Mr. Cho might be trying to do something. And I really would need more access to Mr. Lim’s information to be sure. I heard from higher ups that they’re thinking of cancelling your collaboration with us because they suspect Mr. Lim. Obviously I wouldn’t want that.”

            The older woman narrowed her eyes. “So you’re asking to protect me?”

            “Of course. Who else would I be trying to help?”

            “I’ll get the information. What do you want to know?”

            “I just want a quick look at the finances as well as any recent past deals and future plans. I promise, I won’t ever let anyone know you looked at them.”

            “Of course you wouldn’t. If the media got wind of the fact that you’re looking into another’s company’s secrets, you can kiss the CEO spot goodbye.” Her words were getting sharper and he knew not to push her too far.         

            “Noona, just give me whatever is convenient for you. Believe in me.”

            At these words, she softened. “If I don’t believe you, who else do I have?”

***

            On the third day of the conference, Jinli was invited to a ball hosted by the directors. The attire for the evening was something she completely did not expect and therefore, did not bring. After a quick search online, she found a store in Tokyo that sold what she was looking for.

            “Let me go with you,” Taewoon offered. “If anything, you’ll appreciate the second opinion.”

            “Thank you.”

            It wasn’t far to walk to the store and when she walked in, she saw a collection that caught her eye immediately. “You should wear this.” Taewoon held up a light lavender dress. “It’s very pretty and I happen to have a tie to go with it.”

            “Why does it matter if we match?”

            He looked taken aback. “I’m going to be your date to the ball of course. Surely you know that we have to come together. What would the company think if the two representatives did not go?”

            “Would the press be there?”

            “Why would that matter?” But the confusion was cleared within a second. “Ah, you think it would reflect badly on you in Korea. I wouldn’t worry. I doubt the press back home would be interested in a measly interior design conference in Japan.”

            “I didn’t mean it like that. I just don’t want there to be any talk. Growing up in front of the media’s eyes, I know how miserable it is. I don’t want there to be anything that would harm you if any misunderstandings arise.”

            “You’ll have your ring, and I’ll keep my hands to yourself. Come on. You have no issue going out to lunch with me back in Busan. Why the worry now?”

            Jinli laughed. “You’re right. I’m just overthinking.”

            “Would Daehyun do anything to you if there were pictures? Surely he should have enough confidence in your marriage to not be jealous of an intern, right?”

            She gave him an uneasy smile. “You’re so funny. Let me go try this dress on. What other tie colors do you have? For reference, since we have to be matchy matchy.” But even though Taewoon laughed, she saw the small spark of hurt and had to look away to keep from feeling bad. She had made it clear that they were only colleagues, friends at best. But maybe it would be better to keep a little more distance.

            When they showed up at the ball, she was astounded to find the media lined up and waiting. “Mrs. Jung, we are actually announcing the engagement of our director tonight. Please don’t mind the presence of the cameras. He’s getting married to a lady from a great Korean family so there would also be media from your home country. Please don’t feel obligated to answer any questions.”

            Jinli nodded graciously. “Of course not. Congratulations to Mr. Oyoko.”

            But regardless, the press still recognized her and in light of the issues with TS, could not help but focus on her. “Mrs. Jung, who is this man next to you?” “Is your father really trying to take over TS? What about your husband?” “Is it true that the two of you are not getting along because of the latest scandals?”

            Each time, she handled the questions with as much aplomb as she was trained to have. She sensed the anger Taewoon was holding back and knew that he wanted nothing more than to speak up. When the final question thrown their way, asked by a particularly venomous gossip tabloid, “Mrs. Jung, is he your lover? Did you think coming to Japan would keep your affair safe?”, Taewoon exploded.

            He forgot about etiquette and the fact that he was a representative sent to the Japanese company. Instead, he stood in front of Jinli and said very firmly, “If you have nothing better to do than harass a lady, then I suggest you leave. This country, nor mine, does not have any use for you.” Naturally, the defensive response created more murmurs.

            Jinli hesitated to touch him but gently placed her hand on his arm. “Taewoon, please. This is Mr. Oyoko’s engagement party.”

            Even though he relaxed, the tension did not disappear. The two of them avoided dancing together, in fear that it would spark more rumors. When they got back to the hotel room, Taewoon grabbed onto her arm.

            “Why do you put up with that?”

            She glanced down at his vicelike grip on her but he didn’t let go. She looked hastily at the cameras down the hallway. “Taewoon, please. I told you. I’m used to it. I’m sorry you had to go through it.”

            “Clearly you and Daehyun are having issues. Why do you still stay with him?”

            “We’re actually better than ever. Please stop making assumptions.” Her voice came out sharp. She didn’t want to look at his reaction. “Thank you for standing up for me today. But you should go to sleep. We’re presenting our new design tomorrow. Good night.”

            Maybe it was the obvious avoidance. Maybe it was the clear rejection. But he finally did let go and she felt herself breathe a little better. In the safety of her room, she checked her phone. But after the initial photo, Daehyun hadn’t sent her anything. Her pride kept her from texting him immediately. It was as if the defenses were back. But she told herself firmly that if she wanted to make sure the progress was not in vain, she should try.

            She took a deep breath and sent him a message. It was only midnight. He should be awake. Perhaps he would have responded by the time she came out of the shower.

            Daehyun heard the faint ding and reached lazily for his phone only to have Hyosung take it from the dressing table. “Oh. It’s from her.” He felt a flare of defenses rise. Hyosung didn’t look as if she was going to return his phone and he knew that if he insisted, she would only get angry.

            He watched as she opened the message, sneered at its contents and deleted it. “Is she still trying so hard?” She watched him carefully.

            Daehyun shrugged. “She does whatever the hell she wants. Put the phone down. Come here.”

            But the vixen next to him shook her head. Instead, she scrolled up. “Looks like she’s not the only one flirting. It looks like quite the back and forth.”

            “Babe. If she tells my mother, do you think I would be able to be here with you like this? Do you not think, knowing my mother, if she got wind that our relationship is going downhill, she would allow me to stay home alone? She would set up a million spies in the house and I would never be able to be here with you. I need to keep up the act somehow.”

            Hyosung sniffed, looking unconvinced. Daehyun sighed and pinned her between his arms. His eyes honed in on her lips and he pressed his body down against hers as he kissed down her cheeks to the corner of . “I only love you, Noona.”

            The placations worked and he felt a breath of relief. Even as he kissed her, in the back of his mind, he wondered what it was Jinli had sent him and felt a pang of regret that those words were lost forever, deleted from cyberspace.

 

Happy holidays and happy new year to all my readers!

I hope everyone has a happy, blessed 2017.

It is also the final minutes of my 22nd birthday so BAM. UPDATE! AH I'M GETTING OLD. AJKGDHA

Also a bunch of you messaged me asking for selcas and I don't think I've ever posted any, so please click the link: Potato Face