Chapter 4 - Play His Game

Mistress of My Heart

The night was dragging on way too long for her liking. She knew she had to stick with her decision, but everything Daehyun did irritated her. She hated watching him smirk carelessly at the guests, as if he was the only one who knew a secret they didn’t. She hated meeting his eyes only to see the dark brown eyes harden with something she didn’t know what to categorize as besides hate and distaste.

            “You look beautiful,” Youngjae complimented as he had swept by with the rest of Daehyun’s friends. Himchan had whistled appreciatively but still Jinli felt inadequate. The arm around her waist felt like a limp noodle that she had to put up with.

            When they announced the first couple dance, went dry. Daehyun smiled gracefully at her, and she knew that it was only in public, she would be treated to anything like affection. A part of her resented it, but a weaker side yearned for it. He placed his hands diplomatically on her shoulder and they swayed. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw his mom tearing and for a moment, thought of her own.

            If only her mother could see her now. Maybe if her mother had been alive, she wouldn’t have had to resort to simply pleasing her father on his every whim. Daehyun led her and he leaned in closer so their bodies were pressing. She stared at him in shock and he gave her a crooked smile. “You’re a simply ravishing bride.” There was something mocking in his tone and she rolled her eyes, only to check herself, remembering at the last moment that there were people watching.

            He pressed his cheek against hers and it took all her control not to pull away. Jinli hated men who were bipolar and he was switching so quickly, her head spun. “Make up your mind,” she hissed and he stared at her. There was a moment of fear when his jaws clenched and then the smile was back.

            “What mind? You make me lose my mind.” opened slightly and he kissed her, a different kiss from before. This one was deeper and he ran his tongue over her teeth until they heard the catcalls from the audience. And when he pulled away to smile cockily at them, she knew that it had all been a show. Right. This entire wedding was just a show.

            It was a relief when Lili took her away to prepare for later. “You looked miserable,” was her best friend’s first words.

            Jinli sighed. “Was it that obvious?”

            The older girl wiped her cheek. “Only because I know you so well, honey. Chin up. I know you’ll be fine. I promise. Tonight, you can go ahead and knock him dead. If you can make him want you, you can toy with him as hard as he’s toying with you.” There was a hard quality to her voice and she looked at the taller one in surprise.

            “What are you suggesting?”

            Lili cast her gaze on Jinli. “I’m just saying that in a marriage like this, you need to up your dignity and keep what shreds of it you can. Give him a good time tonight. You want him begging.” Jinli’s mouth dropped open and her friend pushed her into the room. “I already packed some things for you. Just make sure he doesn’t hurt you. And, keep your heart to yourself, until he’s ready to give you his.”

            She stared at her best friend and wondered how she knew so much without Jinli ever being fully honest with her. The other woman moved throughout the room and reached into a closet to bring out a beautiful deep blue dress. “Here, this is what you’ll be wearing. I packed you a shawl in case you get cold too.”

            The elaborate wedding gown was finally taken off, giving her breathing room. Lili brushed through her hair and settled it into a low bun. “Perfect. Remember, I’m always by your side.”

            Jinli kissed her cheek and hugged her. “Thank you. Take care of Jinhee and Chanyeol please.”

            “You take care of yourself or else I will come down to Busan at least once a week, three month old baby at my hip or not.”

            There was a knock on the door and Mrs. Jung walked in. Jinli smiled warmly at the woman. It was her son who was the problem, after all, and not her. She held her cheek and stared at her dress. “Beautiful. My son is really lucky, regardless of whether he knows it or not. Welcome to the family, sweetheart.” Jinli smiled gratefully and her mother-in-law took out a box. “Here, put this on tonight. It’ll bring prosperity and lots of grandchildren for me to hold.” The bride blushed and took it carefully from her. The anxiety was back.

            Lili hugged her reassuringly. “It’ll be fun regardless. Just make sure he stops when you tell him to and he doesn’t hurt you. Now go and knock that cold-hearted bastard dead.” She muttered the last part quietly as to not offend his mother.

            There was a crowd who had gathered to send the couple off but Daehyun was nowhere to be seen. Yongguk, instead, was waiting. Jinli couldn’t help but make a joke. His friends were so much easier to get along with. “Well, didn’t realize I switched grooms within the span of thirty minutes.”

            Yongguk cracked a gummy smile. “Wish I could be lucky enough to have such a pretty bride. Daehyun went to get things ready. Come on, sister, let’s go.”

            She clutched Yongguk’s arm and her father patted her head. “You did great today, Precious.” And that was all. She felt Yongguk stiffen next to her but Jinli forced herself to keep walking. Her father had always been like this. To get upset would be to succumb to what he always did to her.

            Daehyun was dressed casually in a button-down, and he leaned against the pillar as he waited. She felt a throb as she stared at the handsome man. Damn him for being so good looking with an ugly personality. When she came into view, he didn’t even bother looking at her. Daehyun stuck out his hand for her to take.

            “Let’s go. We have places to go, things to do,” he waved one more at the crowd and pushed her slightly as the rice began to be thrown. He held onto her hand and she concentrated on how protected she felt. Once they were safely in the car, he dropped her hand and sat on his side of the car. “It’s not far to the airport.”

            “Where are we going?”

            He looked at her dully. “Where all couples go, Jeju Island.” Jinli sat back and stared out the window. It was supposed to be the most romantic place in the country, but she knew that with Daehyun, nothing would happen.

 

thank you for all your support!

I want to be caught up with a few more chapters before I publish any more, so this may not update for three or so days. But thank you guys