Chapter 19 - Guilty Conscience

Mistress of My Heart

            Hyosung in his life and Jinli out of it caused a weird unrest in Daehyun’s heart. It has been nearly four days since she’s been gone and every day going back to the empty house only increased his guilt. After the initial meeting with Hyosung, he had yet to see her at the office and that only made him strangely anxious.

            His office door banged opened unceremoniously and Daehyun looked up to see a pretty furious Youngjae walk in. “Jung Daehyun, when will you get your together?”

            “What?”

            Youngjae cracked his neck and placed both palms down on his table. “I mean Hyosung and your wife. Forgot she existed?”

            “What do you want?”

            “Have you talked to Hyosung at all? Daehyun, it’s been two years. It’s been two years since she left you without a word. Don’t you dare let her mess you up any more. You tried really hard to forget her.”

            “I haven’t seen her since she came. I don’t know why you and everyone else is making such a big deal. I can handle it myself.”

            Youngjae narrowed his eyes. “You can’t handle her. I know you. You’re probably thinking about the past and how much you miss her. You’re probably thinking about her every time you have the chance.”

            Daehyun swallowed and looked his best friend in the eye. “What can I do?” he whispered.

            “You can stop thinking with your and start thinking with your head. What did she do to you? How much did she hurt you? How can you still let her drag you along on a string?”

            “I’m thinking with my heart,” Daehyun retorted hotly and Youngjae gave a derisive laugh.

            “Don’t try to sugarcoat it with that. She broke your heart, remember? She ripped it out, bit into it; spat out the flesh and bled you dry. You are not to let her play with you again. Forget her already and apologize to Jinli.”

            Daehyun was quiet and Youngjae leaned in closer. “I’m going to get her back tomorrow. You better be prepared to see her tomorrow.”

            There was a knock on the door and Youngjae barked out, “Come in.” Daehyun’s mouth went dry. It was Hyosung. She held a pile of files to her chest and smiled prettily.

            “Youngjae, nice of you to come down from Seoul. I haven’t seen you in a while. How are you?” She held out an arm for a hug.

            Youngjae glanced at her. “Why did you come here for?”

            Just after his question, another assistant came to the door saying that an important investor was on the phone and needed to talk to Youngjae. Youngjae gave Hyosung one last cold glare before walking out.

            Daehyun stared at the woman in front of him and swallowed. Hyosung gave him a stunning smile and perched herself on his desk. “Daehyun, it’s nearly impossible to be alone with you. Whenever I look into your office, Junhong or Yongguk would be in here. It’s almost like they’re your personal bodyguards. What do they think I would do?” she laughed and placed the folders in front of him.

            “Here’s the new batch of possible companies who are interested in merging under TS. I can help you look over them if you want.”

            He clenched his jaw and Youngjae’s angry words reverberated in his head. Daehyun steeled himself and in the most professional manner he could muster, he gave her a thin smile. “No thank you. Your job is in the PR department. I’ll take over the planning from here.”

            Hyosung stood and stared at him. “I missed you, Daehyunnie.”

            He determinedly opened a file. “This is a workplace. I’ll hand these files over to Himchan later for his confirmation and he’ll get in touch with you regarding making the contracts. I won’t see you out.”

            Her gaze went to the wedding band on his left hand and out of the corner of his eye, he saw her twist off the ring he had given her so many years ago. She gently placed it next to his hand, right next to the ring on his own finger. “Something for you to think of me by when you’re lonely.”

***

            Jinli was surprised that her father hasn’t called her and ordered her back. She had spent a blissful four days in Seoul, living with Lili and it helped her clear her mind. She wished to never have to go back. She was a lot happier where she was.

            “You know you’re going to need to go back eventually.” Lili and her were in the kitchen making dinner.

            Jinli pretended to not hear and bent over to taste the soup. “Yum, this is perfect.”

            Her best friend walked over and placed the spoon down. Taking her by the shoulders, Lili looked at her. “Jinli, you can’t run away forever. Daehyun probably didn’t want to tell anyone but people will notice. Do you think the maids won’t gossip? You know as well as I do that they are most likely planted there by your mother-in-law to see if you’re getting along with him.”

            “Nobody’s said anything so far,” she insisted stubbornly.

            “Probably because he has done a good job of keeping up a façade. But it won’t go on forever, trust me. You’re going to need to go back and you’re going to need to make this marriage work. If it doesn’t, then you can ask for a divorce.”

            “I highly doubt my father would let me. He’d probably disown me.”

            “And? He never showed an ounce of care for you anyway. If it doesn’t work out, you can come live with me and I’ll help you. You already can get on your own feet anyway. You don’t need to worry about the public once you’re no longer tied to your father.”

            “Why can’t I get a divorce now?”

            Lili sighed. “Because you’re going to need to try a little more. Daehyun’s a jerk, I know. But I think he’s also hurt. If you could only try a little more, maybe it’ll be better. Promise me? You know I wouldn’t send you back to the lion’s den without knowing you’d be okay.”

            Jinli stared at her. “I’ll think about it. Right now, I can’t even think about him without wanting to shudder.”

            “And that Taewoon guy, shouldn’t you be keeping your distance?”

            “We’re just friends. Lili, you’re over thinking. I’ll move out tomorrow. Don’t worry about me.” And that was the end of the conversation.

            As Jinli lay on the bed, she thought about her best friend’s words. Daehyun may be hurting but he was also lashing out and the only target he had was her. But she had the sickening habit of wanting to help people in need and he clearly needed her if he was in pain. She thought back to how weak he had been that night, how beaten he was by stress and sighed. She turned over on her back and shut her eyes. She’ll figure it out in the morning.

 

I'm going to try my best to update more often

I've been figuring out the course of this story and once more I'm going to apologize for anything cliched, but it is what its' going to be 

and welcome new readers!