Chapter 14 - Fluctuations

Mistress of My Heart

            Daehyun didn’t recognize the car parked in the driveway. He raised an eyebrow and walked into his house. He could smell food and he knew that she must have made dinner. He smiled a little wryly and went to the kitchen to place the brownies he had bought on the counter. He was putting in an effort. He paused and frowned. He heard a male voice.

            “Jinli?” he called out and walked into the living room to see two heads bent over pieces of paper.

            Daehyun crossed his arms and his wife looked up. “Daehyun you’re back.” When the other person picked his head up, Daehyun was shocked to recognize him.

            “Mr. Jung,” he was greeted and he bowed stiffly at him. Daehyun cast Jinli a cold look and he saw her visibly swallow.

            “Taewoon came over for some advice on work. He’s our newest intern. I just found out that he worked with the same company. He’s just over for business.”

            “How… coincidental.” He gave the two of them one last look before walking out.

            He looked at the food she had set up and rolled his eyes. There was a spiteful feeling that rose over him and he looked at the dessert he had gone out of his way to buy and scoffed. What had been the point of even trying? She was as pathetic as he had judged her to be.

            He grabbed a bowl and filled it with rice and some side dishes and then he went to his office. He had work to do too. If they wanted to do business, he was the king of that.

            She came knocking on his door nearly an hour later. He decided not to respond but she came in anyway. “Daehyun.” She was holding a plate of fruit. “I wanted to eat together. I have no idea how he even found where we are. I didn’t expect him to come over. Your mom mentioned that you liked cantaloupe. I bought some.”

            He gave her a long look before looking back down at the piles of numbers he had printed. “Just put it down. I have work to do.”

            Jinli lingered longer and she walked around his desk to peer over his shoulder. “I can help you file some of the numbers if you want. I’m done with my work and I can help. I did it all the time.”

            “There’s no need,” he responded shortly. “I’ve always done this by myself before. Maybe you should be on standby in case Taewoon needs more help.”

            He heard her sigh and that sound grated at his nerves. “It won’t happen again,” she said firmly and Daehyun lifted one shoulder in a shrug.

            “See if I care.” And just like that, they were back in square one.

            Jinli cried herself to sleep that night. She knew that it had been a mistake, but it wasn’t something she had done wrong. She closed her eyes and wished that Daehyun would be more understanding. She tried to keep the tears from falling but it felt as if all progress they had managed to make disappeared into thin air.

***

            Daehyun was proud of himself for not talking to her in the next two weeks. When they’ve been married for exactly a month, he overlooked that date and decided she wasn’t worth his time. Work consumed the two of them and even though she sometimes tried to talk to him, he responded with as minimal an answer as he could muster.

            He could feel her withdrawing and soon conversation ceased between the two of them. His friends who have been so proud of him as he boasted about trying and taking her out to dinner, were disappointed.

            They were all gathered around the table and were judging him and Daehyun scoffed a little. “She’s the one who thinks it’s okay to bring home random men.”

            Youngjae nearly spit out his drink. “It was a business exchange. I’m sure if you go out and have a dinner with a lady, she wouldn’t give you the cold shoulder for trying to do your job.”

            “That’s her job? Letting interns come to her private living space and then giving them tips?”

            “I don’t know how he got there, but I doubt Noona gave him the address. Maybe you should be talking to him and not giving her such a hard time.” It was Junhong trying to plead with him.

            “Yeah, and if you’re a real man, you should be fighting for her. Take her out tonight, not to eat, but just for a walk, something. And if you like, you can ask about Taewoon. But do it gently, not accusatory. If you won’t do it for your sake, do it at least for your mom.” This last advice was meant to guilt him, and it worked.

            Daehyun slid his beer across the table and groaned, standing up and slipping his arms through his jacket.

            “I’m out. I have a wife to entertain.”

***

            Jinli was cautious when Daehyun came home and offered to take her out. She hesitated and he noticed. The slight pause before she answered made him slightly irritated but he held it in. “I suppose. Do you have any work to do tonight?” He did. He had to type up the formal proposal. Even though it had been two weeks, the deal still wasn’t finalized, and he was beginning to suspect that the company was going to push the new advisor on him. But he thought of his mother and what his friends had said.

            “I can do it when I get back.”

            “Ah, no. You don’t need to worry about me. I’m honestly fine. It may even be too cold to go out right now. Go do work, and get to sleep early for once.”

            Daehyun forced a smile on his face. “I insist. Really. I feel bad. We haven’t been talking lately.” He looked at her reaction. If she were meaner, he knew she would make a snide remark but instead she didn’t look at him. He held his breath and hated how nervous he was. He shouldn’t have to care.

            Jinlie looked at him and finally nodded. “I suppose. Since you’re finally free.” Daehyun gave a small chuckle. He didn’t miss the accusatory tone in her voice.