A Start at Jeju Island

"The Answer is You"

 

 

That morning was especially bright for everyone at the office. This was all begun from the warm heart of the president of the company. President Seo really loved to gather with his employees to hear their stories, ideas, and anything about the company. So he managed to arrange schedule, once or twice in a year for them, all of them to go on a vacation together—of course all costs handled by company.

                As all people said, “When you wait for something, the time walks way too slow.” Apparently it was true because all employees were getting impatient (let’s say in positive way) to get to the D-day.

                “So, where are we going this time?” Minhyuk asked while they’re having their Thursday lunch.

“Haven’t you seen the announcement? We’ll be goin to Jeju Island tomorrow and staying there until Sunday. I bet it’s gonna be awesome,” Jungshin excitedly explained.

“The company gained huge profit this year for our most recent project Busan, Indonesia, and Malaysia. No wonder sajangnim is very happy,” said Jonghyun.

“Ah, Jonghyun, don’t forget to bring guitar, we are going to need some music there. And two of you, get some snacks and drinks for us, OK!” Yonghwa assigned his dongsaeng.

“How about bring playing cards for entertainment, hyung?” Minhyuk suggested.

“I’ll take care of that. Uhmm,,, Seohyun, you’ll come tomorrow right?”

“Why wouldn’t I?? I’ve packed my things already; I bring my jacket, cardigan, scarf, flashlight, goguma snacks, and the most important thing of all, some books to read. Really can’t wait for tomorrow,” Seohyun said while reading her notebook then caused everyone laugh out loud seeing how complete her preparations.

***

 

The D-day finally came. Everyone gathered at Gimpo airport to take a flight to Jeju. They boarded the plane not long after. Seohyun got a seat next to Yoona and Yuri, while Yonghwa sat two rows in front of them.

“Yoona unnie, do you mind to change your seat with Yonghwa oppa? I have something to talk with him during the flight,” Seohyun asked Yoona.

                “No I don’t. Ok then let me take my bag first,” Yoona agreed while Seohyun went to Yonghwa.

“Yonghwa oppa, do you want to sit beside me? I have something to discuss with you. You can change your place with Yoona unnie,” Seohyun asked Yonghwa.

                “OK. Fine. I like it,” he answered without any hesitation while smiling wide.

                “Yonna unnie, gomawoyo”

Like that, Yoona and Yonghwa changed their seats. Yoona went to Yonghwa’s original place and she tried to put her luggage at the cabin but she hardly reached the cabin because she wore flat shoes. Suddenly someone helped her to put the luggage.

                “Ah kamsahamnida………” she stopped a while, “Jonghyun ssi??”

                “What are you doing here? I thought it’s Yonghwa hyung’s seat?” Jonghyun asked her.

“Uhmm,, Seohyun asked me to change my seat with Yonghwa oppa because she had something to talk with him. But if it bothers you for me to sit here, I can find another place,” she said while ready to go.

Jonghyun grab her ams and said “Don’t go! You can sit here” while staring at her eyes.

“Ah nee. Kamsahamnida,” her face blushed.

Seohyun watched the Jonghyun-Yoona scene closely and smiled on her own until Yonghwa asked her a question.

                “So, Seo Joo Hyun, what is the thing that you want to discuss with me?”

“Ah oppa, mianhaeyo. Actually I asked you to change place with Yoona unnie so she can sit beside Jonghyun oppa, hehehehe.”

“Ho? So now you are acting as cupid then? Nice job. I’ll support you, for Jonghyunie.”

“Kamsahaeyo.”

The flight only took about an hour to Jeju. They finally arrived and breathed the fresh air of Jeju Island. Right from the airport, they went to Teddy bear museum. All participants fell in love with the Teddy bears exhibited at the museum.

After two hours, they went to Jeju Folk Village museum that has restored the scene of village in 1890s. All of them really unwilling to leave the Folk Village museum because it was so amazing for them to experience their predecessors’ life back then. Kwangsoo even play an on-the-spot historical drama with Gary, Haha, and the other casts.

They visited another place and finally got to the hotel. After having dinner, they all gathered at the ballroom that already reserved for them.

 

                “Ok everyone, let’s gather. We will play some fun games here,” Jaesuk said to all employees.

                “For the first game, we will play Pepero Game”

“Yahooo….. yeahhhhh…. Yesssss…. Waaaaaa…. Wooooooo,” expressed the employees represented their excited feelings.

“Hahahhahah….. all of you must now the rules. We will do it one pair after another, whoever got the shortest stick will win this game,” Jaesuk explained neatly as if he was the nation MC.

“Let’s draw our first couple…..LEE KWANG SOO ssi.”

“Yes! Yes!” Kwangsoo shouted as he stood up.

“And Kwangsoo’s couple is………..” Jaesuk said while trying to pull another name.

“Chaebal…. Chaebal….. Yuri….Yuri…. Kwon Yuri…..” Kwangsoo prayed.

“JI SUK JIN ssi, chukahamnida,” said Jaesuk.

“Eiiiii…. Ige mwoya? How I can I pair up with this hyung?”

“Aisshh,,, I don’t like you either,” said Sukjin.

 

Sukjin and Kwangsoo couple finally started to eat the pepero unwillingly. Kwangsoo’s face got closer and closer to Sukjin’s face. Suddenly Haha pushed Kwangsoo’s head forward. Despite the laugh, they managed to left 2cm long.

“We move to the next contestant. KIM JONG KOOK….. and his pair is YOO JAE SUK” Jaesuk shouted his name out loud without realizing it.

“Yaa hyung….why do you always following me?? Aissh…” Jongkook nagged.

“Aigooo… what in the world I have to do this with this muscle man,” Jaesuk also nagged.

Everyone knew that even though they nagged to each other but they were best friends. They started the game and Jongkook hold Jaesuk shoulder as if they ready to kiss. Jaesuk frantically broke the pepero and released himself.

 

“Yaaa!! Why did you hold me like that? Did you want to kiss me?” Jaesuk pointed at Jongkook.

“Anniyaa… It was good if I hold your head like that, so we can win…. Aiihhh… this hyung really bad at this,” Jongkook shouted back caused everyone laughed even more.

“Jongkookie-Jaesuk failed. Ok…next couple is……KANG GARY, and…….. SONG JI HYO” Jaesuk shouted immediately.

“Oh yeeaaahhhhhh…..” Gary was especially happy to be paired up with Jihyo. “Palli Jihyo-ya… Ironaseyo,” Gary said while pulled Jihyo up.

“Kang Gary, do it right. OK.  We have to win this,” bad Jihyo descended.

“Arrasseo Mong Ji ya… Trust me. Oppa will finish it in one go.”

Gary and Jihyo couple challenged the pepero game. Gary came closer to Jihyo while she hold still, she didn’t move even a bit. Everyone was watching attentively while holding their breath. The room went silent. Ten seconds later the silence broke with clapping hands as Gary and Jihyo managed to leave exactly 1cm.

 

The game continued with some other couples’ failure to get shorter than 1cm. Jaesuk called upon the next challenger.

                “JUNG YONG HWA, please come forward. And his couple is……….. SEO JOO HYUN”

                “Oppa ottoke???” Seohyun whispered to Yonghwa.

                “If you don’t feel comfortable than we don’t have to do this,” he replied.

                “But everyone has done it, I also must do it,” she assured him. “It’s ok oppa, let’s do it.”

They decided to do it. Yonghwa started to move toward Seohyun. Their eyes were looking at each other closely. Yonghwa felt that his heartbeat rate went up over 150 bpm just like his heart was ready to explode. He knew that Seohyun’s got pretty clear eyes but those became 10 times more beautiful seeing it up close. In that short time, he observed every part of Seohyun’s face.

Suddenly Seohyun closed her eyes.

Yonghwa turned into panic mode. He frantically broke the pepero because his face was turning all red.

Unfortunately they still didn’t able to defeat Gary and Jihyo’s record. They got 1,5cm long. Gary-Jihyo received the price and they moved on to another games until the time reached 11 p.m. They all returned to their room to get some rest.

***

 

It was already 1 a.m but Yonghwa still unable to sleep. He took Jonghyun’s guitar and went to pool area to get some fresh air. When he reached that place, someone already sat at the poolside.

                “Seohyun??? What are you doing here?

                “Yonghwa oppa?? …..Ah… I just can’t sleep. What about you?”

                “I can’t sleep either,” Yonghwa said while taking a sit beside Seohyun.

The sat in silent for couple of minutes, didn’t know what to say to each other.

                “The games were really fun. I had so much fun today,” Seohyun said breaking the silence.

                “Yeahh…. Everyone was really happy,” Yonghwa replied.

                “Oppa…….. Gomapta,” Seohyun suddenly thanked Yonghwa.

                “Thanks for what?”

“Thanks for being everything. Thanks for being my mentor, thanks for being so patient with me, thanks for being my fake boyfriend, thanks for helping me, and most of all, thanks for making me comfortable with you,” Seohyun said sincerely.

“I don’t usually get comfortable with boys. But ever since I know you, I have improved a lot,” she smiled shyly.

“You don’t have to thank me for anything. I feel honored to know you. You are really amazing,” Yonghwa said to Seohyun.

“From now on until you get tired of me, I will always be there for you. Until you bored with my face, I’ll be by your side. Until you annoyed with my voice, I’ll sing for you.”

“Kamsahamnida oppa. Will you sing for me now?” Seohyun asked while pointing at the guitar.

“I’ll sing you lullaby until you fall asleep.”

Both of them spent the first night in Jeju Island in beautiful melody of Yonghwa’s singing. Seohyun leaned her back to Yonghwa’s back while looking at the stars on the sky. They finally went back to their room and had good sleep.

***

 

The next morning, after finished their breakfast, everyone was ready to go to waterfall nearby.

To reach the waterfall, they had to go by walking. Most of the man tried to show their manly quality to appear the ladies. For example Kwangsoo. He offered himself to Yuri to bring her luggage, but ended up slipped at a rock and fell down.

On the other side, Jonghyun quietly walked behind Yoona to help her in case she may fell.

They arrived at the destination spot. After having lunch, all of them scattered by themselves, enjoyed beautiful scene of the nature. Yonghwa noticed Seohyun entered the forest by herself.

                “Seohyun-a… where are you going?”

                “Just wanna hang around oppa. Let’s go together” Seohyun proposed.

How could he say no to her. They walked to the forest without realizing that they were getting quite far from the gathering spot. Seohyun noticed a beautiful blue flower on the edge of the cliff.

“Oppa, look! This is really pretty. I’ll take it for you,” Seohyun said while hardly climbing down. She slipped her hands and fell down.

“Seo Joo Hyuuuunnn,” Yonghwa screamed while following her.

Seohyun and Yonghwa fell 200m from the cliff.

                “Seohyun, gwaenchanha? Is there anything hurt?” Yonghwa asked Seohyun.

                “Me left feet, I think it’s hurt” Seohyun replied holding her pain.

“Let me see.” Yonghwa checked Seohyun’s leg and found it bleeding. “You’re bleeding. This will cover your wound so it won’t be infected. Just hang in there a bit Seohyun-a.  I will take you out of here and heal your wound,” Yonghwa said while covering Seohyun’s wound with his handkerchief.

“Nee oppa….” Seohyun said while trying to stand up but fell again.

“Come, I’ll give you a piggy back. You can’t walk in with your leg like that.”

Yonghwa piggy backed Seohyun and started to walk at the forest trying to return to their gathering spot. He tried to use cell phone to call the other but there was no single phone signal at that place. He kept walking on the forest but his steps were getting slower.

He injured himself. When he fell down from the cliff, he also got injury, and it got even worse because he didn’t take care of it. Hours past by but they still unable to find way back.

“Oppa, I remember the scene. When you asked me if there is anything hurt. It was the first time we met,” Seohyun spoke to Yonghwa’s ear.

“Yeah. We crashed to each other at the airport,” Yonghwa replied.

“Without knowing who am I, you helped me and the kid. I was so happy backed then. This handkerchief is the same one you gave to the kid. You really have a nice heart oppa,” she said with her voice getting weaker.

“You helped me at the first time we met, and now you save me. I’m really thankful oppa.”

“Enough with the thanks. Haven’t you said it too many?” Yonghwa asked but she didn’t answer. “Seohyun? Seo Joo Hyun?”

Yonghwa put her down. Seohyun was faint. Her body temperature was so high and it was started to rain. Her condition will got worse. Yonghwa found a hole at a cliff and took a shelter over there. He was so worried with Seohyun’s condition.

***

                “You still haven’t found them?” President Seo asked.

“We haven’t found them sajangnim. We can’t reach their phone. There is no signal here,” Sukjin explained.

“Where can they be? It has been six hours. I don’t want anything bad happen to them,” said president Seo.

“Sajangnim, maybe we should stop the searching tonight. It’s too dangerous to continue tonight. We have to wait until morning,” Jaesuk suggested.

“But……”

“Sajangnim, we also worry about them, but still it’s too dangerous. After all, she’s with Yonghwa. I’m sure he will take care of her,” Jongkook assured president Seo.

“Alright. We stop tonight but we will begin early in the morning.”

The next morning, the group started the searching down below the cliff as Jongkook suggested. It was really a good suggestion. They called for Seohyun and Yonghwa. Seohyun woke up and heard their voice and answered back from faraway. They tried to approach her.

“Oppa, it’s them. They found us. Oppa…. Oppa…..” Seohyun said while trying to wake Yonghwa up. “What is this?”

Seohyun noticed that her body has been covered with another jacket. It was Yonghwa’s jacket. He covered his jacket to Seohyun’s body so that her condition wouldn’t get worse. He also hugged Seohyun over the jacket to keep maintain her body temperature. Thanks to Yonghwa, she got recovered. But in return, Yonghwa’s condition seemed unwell.

The rescue team found them and gave them first aid. There was the time Seohyun realized Yonghwa’s wound.

“Oppa…. You were hurt this bad and you kept piggy back me up? You…. You…. You could have died, you know. You saved me and I almost got you killed,” Seohyun said while crying.

                “I’ve promised your sister that I will take care of you,” Yonghwa said in weak voice.

                “But most of all, I was so frightened to see you hurt, as if I hurt myself so badly. I’m sorry”

                “You….Stupid…. stupid….” Seohyun said while crying beside him. “Gomapta oppa. Gomapta”

They smiled to each other. Many things happened in Jeju. But it was just a start.

 


 

Hope you enjoy it. Please leave comment when you done reading....

I love to read comments... really appreciate that...

FIGHTING ^^