I Never Knew

I'm Not Your Rose

Seungri laid on the floor with his legs up on the wall. He had learned that that position was good for your back. He really didn't care about back exercises, he was just bored, as always. Seunghyun had been taking on different extracurricular activities and studying everyday since the incident with Daesung. Seungri was glad that Seunghyun was busying himself to try and keep his mind off of Daesung, but with all the things he had been doing there was no time left him.

 

He wasn't used to not being spoiled with Seunghyun's attention, whether it be good or bad. Without his company he never had anything better to do. He wished Seunghyun could find a less productive way of spending his time, or at least work Seungri into his calendar. Seungri had never been this bored in his life, he felt like a spoiled brat that was being deprived of what he wanted. He felt a bit lonely since that Seunghyun now had important things to do besides studying and homework, he was also joining clubs and volunteering for events; anything to keep his mind off of Daesung and what he had done to his self-esteem and heart.

 

Seungri would be proud of Seunghyun if he didn't feel that Seunghyun as going overboard with all the work he was piling on his shoulders. On a normal schedule Seunghyun would have already done with his day, but now that he had all these things he was doing on a daily basis, there was never any time in the day for play; leaving Seungri on the ground thinking about how bored he was.

 

The door to their dorm and Seungri quickly rolled over from his position from the wall and watched as Seunghyun came in carrying papers with a pencil in his mouth. He set everything on his desk without giving Seungri a second glance and started working on whatever he was doing. Seungri had an angry put on his face, thoroughly upset that he had been ignored. He got up from his position on the floor and stood with his arms crossed behind Seunghyun.

 

“Seunghyun.” Seungri was irritated that he didn't have his friends undivided attention. He sounded needy, but a couple months of being ignored had gone to his head.

 

Seunghyun barely stirred from Seungri calling his name, “Yes?” he never looked from the papers he was working on.

 

“Why are you doing all this work? It's unnecessary.” Seungri's voice came out in a slight whine.

 

“I have to do it, people have homework you know.” Seunghyun scribbled an answer on one of his papers and wrote a sentence on another.

 

“But you don't have to take these classes. There's no point, why can't you drop them, I'm bored.”

 

“I'm not dropping my classes for your boredom Seungri. Why don't you find someone else to play with? I'm busy right now.”

 

Seungri glared daggers at the back of Seunghyun's head, “Haha very funny. I don't have anyone to talk to.”

 

Seunghyun laid his pencil down and turned around to see Seungri's angry pout, “Why haven't you gone to talk to Jiyong? I'm sure he would appreciate your company.”

 

Seungri was not amused, “I don't want his company! I want yours.” he was like a child that was being denied a cookie and offered broccoli.

 

“Seungri, you say his name in your sleep.” Seunghyun tried to turn around and get back to his work but Seungri quickly sat on his lap; keeping him from going anywhere, “Real mature.”

 

“I don't say his name in my sleep.”

 

“You do, and it's loud. Sometimes I wonder what you could possibly be dreaming about for you to be saying his name like that, but then I realize who I'm talking about.” Seunghyun grimaced thinking about the thought.

 

Seungri had an embarrassed look on his face, “I don't have those types of dreams about him.” he averted his gaze from Seunghyun's disbelieving stare.

 

“Oh really then, what do you dream about that involves Jiyong?”

 

“Killing him.” he said it with the straightest face he could muster. It was so blank that Seunghyun would have believed him if he didn't know better.

 

“Yeah whatever, I don't understand why you two insist on going on with your bickering. You both obviously have some serious between each other, why don't you just hook up?”

 

“Are you saying that I should give Jiyong my body and then see how it goes? I am way too classy to be fraternizing with the likes of him.”

 

Seunghyun scoffed, “You'd give it up to me in a hot second, hell, you'd give it up to the good looking guy across the hall if he asked, but you won't for Jiyong? You're ridiculous.”

 

“Are you trying to call me easy!” Seungri gave Seunghyun a menacing glare.

 

“I never said that, you just did for me. What I'm trying to say is, that you and Jiyong have been annoying the crap out of me for weeks, and I can't take it anymore. Hurry up and resolve whatever issues you have with him so I can finally have some sleep.”

 

Seungri folded his arms over his chest, “I can't.”

 

“And why not?”

 

“Because he won't let anything go, he's as stubborn as a mule.”

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, “Sounds like someone I know.”

 

“I'm not kidding, I keep telling him that there is absolutely nothing going on between me and you and he insists that there is. I tell him that he's being ridiculous, he insists that he's the right one. I tried to resolve the situation, but he insists that there can be nothing between us unless you're out of the picture. So I told him that there can be nothing between us until he takes the stick out of his and grows up.”

 

Seunghyun felt like his brain just melted, “Seungri you both are idiots. I can't tell which one of you is the bigger idiot. Maybe Jiyong wouldn't think that there is something between us if you weren't jumping on top of me every couple of seconds.”

 

“So you're taking his side?”

 

“I'm not taking anyone's side, I told you you both are idiots. I also think that Jiyong needs to realize that we were friends before he came into the picture, and that he needs to accept that. Now, do you want me talk to him and settle this once and for all?” Seunghyun just wanted some peace so he can finally work.

 

“He won't talk to you.”

 

“And why not?”

 

“Because he blatantly told me that he didn't like you because he thinks you're competition.” Seungri shook his head, he thought Jiyong was being extremely unreasonable.

 

Seunghyun groaned, he wanted to bang his head against something, “Get off of me, I'm going to talk to him.”

 

Seungri got up, “I'm telling you he won't talk to you.”

 

“I don't care this has gone on long enough, and it isn't my fault. Gosh, I can't emphasize how stupid you both sound.” he walked to the door and opened it, his feet froze in his tracks.

 

Daesung stood in the doorway with his hand frozen in midair, he didn't expect Seunghyun to just open the door like that. He had barely gotten his words together when Seunghyun opened the door, but now he feared he had forgotten everything he was going to say.

 

Seunghyun's face visibly fell when he saw Daesung standing before him. He had to tell himself o keep it together and not let the progress he made over the months slip out of his hands, “What are you doing here?”

 

Daesung gulped and cleared his throat, “I have to talk to you.”

 

“And what is there to talk about? Last time we talked you made it clear that you didn't want me anywhere near you, now look who's at who's doorstep.”

 

Daesung knew this was going to be hard, everything Seunghyun had changed. There was no smile when he saw him and he knew that he deserved that. He felt that he would deserve everything Seunghyun would dish out at him, “It's, I need your help.” he felt embarrassed for asking Seunghyun for help when he had never done anything to earn it.

 

“You need my help? Well this is rich, what can I do for you?” his voice was laced with malice and sarcasm.

 

He knew this was how it was going to go down with Seunghyun, “I've been...” he didn't want Seunghyun to know that he had been seeing a therapist, but how was he supposed to get Seunghyun to go if he didn't tell him, “...seeing a therapist, and I can't continue it without you.”

 

“Really, and how does Youngbae feel about you coming here to see me?”

 

Daesung sheepishly rubbed his arm, “Me and Youngbae aren't together anymore, my therapist said I wasn't ready to be any relationship that involved more than friendship.”

 

Seunghyun raised an eyebrow, “Well it seems you've been doing well for yourself, but I won't be having anything to do with you. So you can tell your therapist that I won't be helping you do whatever it is that you want.” Seunghyun would have closed the door but Daesung stopped him with a desperate hand.

 

“Seunghyun, please come with me to one of my sessions. I promise you, you won't regret it. Please, it's the only way we can truly settle this.” Daesung was now desperate to have him come with him, if he didn't he would never know the truth.

 

“No. I want you to leave me alone. I've spent time getting over you and I'm not going to go back to that.” Seunghyun didn't want to be subjected to another fit of heartbreak caused by Daesung, he was over the pain and now he was trying to move on.

 

“It's not going to be like that, Seunghyun I know I hurt you, and I know how much I'm wrong for it, but you have to believe me when I say I'm sorry. I'm so sorry and I can't fix anything that happened between us without you coming with me. Please Seunghyun, this will be the last thing I ever ask of you.”

 

Seunghyun rubbed his chin and frowned, he could go with Daesung or he could stay right where he was and be happy like he was only a few minutes ago, annoyed, but happy, “No.” he slammed the door and sat on his bed.

 

Nosy Seungri had witnessed and heard everything that went on between them and he didn't know what he should do. He sat next to Seunghyun and examined his face, he looked a little peeved and Seungri didn't know whether it was a good time to touch base on what just happened, “Seunghyun?”

 

“Lets not talk about it.”

 

Seungri nodded his head and respected Seunghyun's wishes. This was extremely awkward for Seungri he had not dealt with this type of behavior from Seunghyun in a while and he didn't know whether he was supposed to comfort him or just sit there.

 

Daesung stared at the door for a long time, Seunghyun had just said no and slammed the door in his face and he couldn't bring himself to be angry about that. If he had been Seunghyun's shoes he probably would have done the same thing. He rubbed his forehead and sighed, he had know idea how he would be able to get through to Seunghyun. He knew that once he had made up his mind that he would it would take a lot to change his mind. Daesung wasn't going to give up now, he moved to one side of the door and sat down. Seunghyun would eventually have to leave his dorm and he didn't care how long it would take him to do it.

 

Besides Daesung's attitude on not giving up, he was still slightly devastated. He had pushed Seunghyun away so far that he was unsure that he would ever make up with him. He had missed his chance of being with him and he wasn't sure that even getting him to go to therapy with him would heal anything. He buried his face in his hands and took in a few deep breaths, Seunghyun was his first love, the one that he had pined over for years, the one who he was infatuated with from first sight. The opportunity for them to be together had arisen and during his own messed up state of mind he had pushed Seunghyun's love away from him and permanently lost it.

 

It was at this low point in his life that he didn't know where he would be able to take it. What would he do if he couldn't make up with Seunghyun? He had spent all this time trying to figure his true feelings and sort out all the problems in his life to end up at a dead end. There would be no reason to continue seeing a therapist if the only reason he was there in the first place would not forgive him.

 

Seunghyun got up from the bed and once again headed for the door, “Do you think he would be gone by now?”

 

“You've been in here for over an hour, I'm sure he's gone by now.”

 

“You never know, some people never give up.”

 

Seungri pursed his lips, he knew someone who was like that all to well, “Oh yeah, there are people like that.”

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, he got what Seungri was implying. He opened the door and walked out. He didn't see Daesung anywhere and started walking down stairs. Seunghyun did not get far, he ended up tripping over a foot. He looked down and low and behold Daesung was sitting on the floor with his face buried in his arms that were laid on his knees. Seunghyun debated whether he should keep walking or wake Daesung up. He would have decided to keep going, but his conscience would not let him take another step.

 

Seunghyun kicked Daesung's shoe, “Daesung.” Daesung looked up slowly with red marks all over his face from his jeans. Seunghyun would have thought that a funny sight if it was under different circumstances.

 

“Seunghyun I...” he got up from his embarrassing on the floor, he didn't plan on falling asleep.

 

“You really want me to go to this thing then? I guess you've sitting here for over an hour waiting for me to come out. Is it really this important?”

 

“Yes, I'm not just saying this just to mess with you. I can't finish what I started without you. It's the only way.” Daesung was praying that Seunghyun would show him a bout of mercy and come with him. If he had to beg, he would do so.

 

Seunghyun chewed on his cheek, he really didn't want to have anything to do with Daesung, but he was not stupid. He knew that if he said no once again Daesung would just keep pestering him till he eventually said yes out of frustration, “When is it?”

 

“Thursday at one. Will you come?” Daesung hoped Seunghyun wasn't just getting his hopes up, he would be upset if that's what he was doing.

 

Seunghyun had a club meeting to go to at that time, but he supposed he could miss it just this once so he could get Daesung off of his back, “Fine, I'll come. I'll expect you to be on time.” Seunghyun did not exchange any other words with Daesung, he left to go do what he had been planning on doing over an hour ago.

 

He cursed this building for not having elevators, it was a pain having to walk from the third floor all the way to the bottom. Seunghyun was lucky that he was not overweight now or he would have been in trouble. He made it to the first floor and headed towards Jiyong's dorm. Seunghyun knocked on his door and waited.

 

Jiyong opened the door with a displeased look on his face, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Can I talk to you for a second?” Seunghyun was not going to waste any time with Jiyong. He couldn't endure him and Seungri arguing anymore.

 

Jiyong backed up and allowed Seunghyun in, he crossed his arms over his chest and wondered what Seunghyun could possibly want, “So what do you want?”

 

“I want to speak with you about Seungri.”

 

“I have nothing to say to you about him.”

 

“Good, because I'm going to be the one talking. So I hear you and Seungri have been arguing about me. I'd appreciate it if you would stop being so dense and listen to what Seungri has to say. Whatever you think that is going on between me and Seungri, is a lie. Seungri is the closest friend I have and I won't have you stringing him along on this emotional roller coaster you have him on.”

 

“You expect me to believe that there isn't anything between you. I see the way he looks at you, he's in love with you and you don't see it, but I do.” Jiyong had a deep frown on his face, “You both can't see it, but I do.”

 

Seunghyun gave Jiyong a perplexed look, “What are you talking about Seungri is in love with me? No he isn't he wants you, not me.”

 

“I know he wants to be with me, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be with you. I'll bet you all the money I have that if you asked him to be with you he would say yes. To Seungri it's a game to see which one of us will ask for his heart first, and in my book there would be no use for me to even pursue a relationship with him if you're around.” Jiyong had a stern look on his, he truly thought that he was right and Seunghyun was determined to prove him wrong.

 

“I don't where you got this idea in your head, but you need to get it out fast. There is absolutely nothing between me and Seungri, and Seungri isn't in love with me, I know he isn't.”

 

“Really? Think about it, he's always all over you, he begs you for attention twenty-four/seven, he'll practically do anything for you and you don't think he loves you in that way. Anyone with as much adoration as Seungri's would label it as love. He worships the ground you walk on and you don't see it!” Jiyong was fuming, no one could understand how he was feeling. What he wanted for Seungri to just go and make a decision, he wanted him to choose who he wanted to be with, but Seungri himself couldn't see the truth in Jiyong's words.

 

Seunghyun shook his head, he didn't believe a word Jiyong was saying, he couldn't believe a word he was saying. He thought all the things Seungri did, was just Seungri being Seungri, there couldn't be any underlying motive underneath his clingy personality. Even if Seungri did feel that way Seunghyun, Seunghyun didn't feel the same way, “It can't be true, he's always been like this.”

 

“Then he's always been in love with you. I don't understand how you can ignore all the signs. You can't just chop it off as he being overly friendly or being clingy, he wants you more than he wants me, and I can't be his second choice.”

 

“But your not, I'm telling you he wants you, he truly wants you; he can't want to be with me.” Seunghyun was even beginning to doubt his on words, could Seungri really be in love with him? Was his admiring eyes more than just him looking up to him?

 

“I know he wants me, but he'll forget about me if there would be a chance with you.”

 

“But there is no chance, there will only be a friendship between me and him. That's it.”

 

“No, I won't share him. He'll always be thinking about you when he's with me, and I'll never be able to truly have him till you're out of his life. Although I know that's not going to happen, he loves you to much to let you go emotionally and you two have been friends for too long to part. So I'm just left here in the dust, because there's no way he'd ever be able to fit me into his fantasy's.” Jiyong was quite upset as to how things had turned out, he had these thoughts since the beginning and he had just never voiced them till now.

 

“It can't be true.” Seunghyun was beyond any coherent answers, he didn't know what to do with this new information. He didn't know if Jiyong was just being absurd or if he was actually onto something.

 

“Oh but it can be. You had with him before didn't you? All you did was make it worse then it already was before you did it and I could smell it a mile away. He is in love with you and he only likes me, so who do you think he'd rather be with? The person he's in love with? Or the person he just really likes?”

 

Jiyong wanted Seunghyun to see that it was useless for him. Jiyong felt that he had no chance, and he was trying to make peace with that.

 

“But I don't love him like that, you have to see that it would never work with me and Seungri. It's only be one sided.”

 

“Am I the one who has to see it? You should be telling Seungri this, I don't need to hear it.”

 

“You just wait, I'll settle this. It isn't going to go down the way you think it is.”

 

Jiyong tsked, “Yeah right. You just wait, nothing will change. It's already to late for that.”

 

Seunghyun dismissed his comment an headed back up the stairs to his dorm. He would prove Jiyong wrong and everything would be okay. He would make sure everything would be okay, Seunghyun wouldn't see anymore broken hearts. He had one before and he wouldn't let anyone else go through what he did.

 

He walked into his dorm and eyed Seungri and sat in his desk chair then rolled over to Seungri's position on his bed, “Hey.” with what Jiyong had old he was feeling quite uncomfortable being around him.

 

Seungri looked up at Seunghyun with a smile on his face, “Hey.” he sat up and opened his arms up for hug, like Seunghyun had been gone for days, “Come on yo never give me hugs anymore.”

 

Seunghyun took Seungri's wrists in his hands and lowered them down by his side, “Not right now.”

 

“Well why not, it's not like it's going to kill you to give me a hug, it'll only take a few seconds.”

 

Seunghyun took in a deep breath, “Seungri, are you in love with me?”

 

“Why would you ask that?” that wasn't quite the answer Seunghyun wanted. He was hoping Seungri would come right out and say no, so he could resolve the issue.

 

“That's not an answer to my question, I asked you if you're in love with me, please answer it truthfully.”

 

“I don't know why you even have to ask.” another avoidance of answering the question.

 

Seunghyun clenched his jaw, “Seunghyun, answer the question.” Seunghyun wanted a clear answer from Seungri, he didn't want to play any games.

 

Seungri gasped, Seunghyun had never called him by his real name unless he was really being serious with him, “Seunghyun, I don't know why you keep asking. You should already know the answer.”

 

“That fact that I'm asking is because I don't know the answer.” Seunghyun held Seungri' hands and looked at him straight in the eye, “It's true isn't it? That's why yo won't give me a straight answer.”

 

Seungri held his tongue, he wouldn't say a word to Seunghyun.

 

“Seungri, talk to me. Tell me it isn't true, if that's the truth.”

 

“Why? Do you want it to be a lie?” it was already to late for Seungri to take anything back, he had confirmed Seunghyun's suspicions.

 

“So, Jiyong was right, and I'm just a fool. Why didn't you ever tell me?” he was thoroughly regretting ever being with Seungri in the intimate way they had been in. He wondered if Seungri had interpreted in a different way he had.

 

“How could I tell you? You had always had your eyes set on one person and that was never me. What was I supposed to do? Say hey Seunghyun I know your helplessly in love with Daesung and all but I love you too, so do you mind if you start loving me instead? Would I have gained your love if I would said that?”

 

Seunghyun swallowed, this was all too much for him to take in. how long had Seungri felt this way about him and he was too blind by his own love to notice? “I'm sorry, I never knew. Seungri I'm so sorry that I never payed attention to your feelings.”

 

“No, don't be sorry. You had different things on your mind, I was never top priority.”

 

“Oh god Seungri don't ever think that. You will always be my top priority. I'll make it up to you I promise, we'll spend more time together and I'll pay attention to you more.”

 

Seungri lifted up his hands to slow Seunghyun down, “No, that's not what I want. I don't want you to drop everything just because you know the truth now, I definitely don't want that.”

 

“Then what do yo want?”

 

“I want what I can't have.”

 

“And that's me? You want me, but what about Jiyong.”

 

Seungri smiled bitterly, “That's where things get complicated, I tried to deny it but I can't be with him if you're still in the picture.”

 

And that's where Seunghyun dreaded the words that Seungri had said. He did n;t want to hear those words come out of his mouth, because since he did, that meant that Jiyong was right, and that he was so stupid for not seeing what was right in front of him. “So what do we do?”

 

“We do nothing, we act like I never said anything and go on like before.”

 

Seunghyun moved away from Seungri, “But that isn't fair to Jiyong, what do you plan on doing about him?” Seunghyun did not want anyone to get hurt.

 

“What am I supposed to do, all of a sudden develop stronger feelings for him than for you? Do you think this is easy for me wanting to be with different people at the same time? Does that even make sense?” Seungri was visibly frustrated, he wanted everything to go back to how it was only an hour ago.

 

“Well you can't ignore his feelings and only think about your own. You have to choose whether you want to pursue a relationship with him or whether you want to just drop everything.”

 

“I don't know what I want to do. Can't you see that it's hard for me, I don't want to lose him, but I don't want to be with him and lose you in the process.”

 

Seunghyun knelt in front of Seungri, “Is that what your afraid of? That you'll lose me? Seungri I'm not going anywhere, no matter what your decision is I'm not going to leave you.”

 

“But that's what Jiyong wants, if I choose him then I'll end up losing you. I know it.”

 

Seunghyun disagreed, “He can't tear us apart, I promise you that. You go on and be with him and let things play out the way that there supposed to be. We will all work together to keep you happy.”

 

“But, that's not realistic. I can't have the both of you, it just isn't possible.”

 

“Seungri you have to realize that I will always be here for you, but only as your closest friend, nothing more. Yo have to let any thoughts of us being together go. I don't want to hurt you, but I want you to know this.”

 

Seungri's eyes turned downward, “I know that, but I had always thought that you would change your mind. That's why I never really pursued anything with Jiyong, I had always thought that maybe one day you would think of something more than a friend.”

 

“I'm sorry, I can't think of you in that way. We've always been close, but I can't go any further with you, it wouldn't feel right.” Seunghyun didn't like having to reject Seungri, he was trying his best to not hurt him anymore than necessary, but he could already see the sadness in Seungri's eyes.

 

“I understand, I just always thought there was a chance. Now, I feel like I need to apologize to Jiyong. I had been stringing him along for these past couple of months when he was the first one to know what was going on.”

 

“I believe that would best, you both need to have a real talk, no bickering or arguing just a calm adult talk about how you're going to proceed together.”

 

Seungri smiled, “You know that's always hard when it comes to us.”

 

“Unfortunately yes, you both are extremely hard headed.”

 

Seungri opened his arms, “Can can I have a hug?”

 

Seunghyun chuckled and wrapped his arms around Seungri, “Everything will be okay in the end.

 

“I hope so.”

 

Seunghyun would not let anything less than good happen them. He didn't want to see more people hurt than necessary. He had been been through pain himself and he didn't want any type of pain surrounding him anymore, all he wanted was to see everyone happy. If he couldn't be, then he would make sure Seungri was.