Chapter 4

Third Time Is The Charm

Chapter 4: Yun-Ae’s POV

            Before I knew it, Saturday was here.

            Yunji was so excited she couldn't sleep. And because she couldn't sleep, she decided to wake me up at four in the morning, just so she could gush to me about how much she loved Block B.

            During Yunji’s description of the fourth guy, Kyung I started to doze off. To prepare for the audition, I went though several hip hop combinations and free styled to a few different songs. I ended up dancing until two in the morning.

            “Yunnie,” I heard multiple times as I felt myself being shaken.

            I grabbed my pillow and put it over my head, trying to block out the background noise so I could go back to sleep, but the shaking and the yelling of my name got louder and much more annoying, to the point where I had to give in and wake up. 

            “Jang Yunji, you’re lucky you’re my sister,” I mumbled as I staggered to the bathroom.

            After splashing some cold water on my face I took the shower head attached to the sink and squeezed some shampoo into my palm and washed my hair quickly.

            “What do you think I should wear?” Yunji asked me once I got out of the bathroom.

            Does it really matter? This is an audition, not a date. 

            “Just wear something that you can dance in,” I answered as I began to change into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top.

            When Yunji finally finished primping in front of the bathroom mirror, we went down to the bus stop and headed out to Yeoksamdong, where the audition was being held. 

            Outside of the entertainment company building, there were large clumps of people waiting. According to Yunji, the doors opened at ten for registration. 

            For the next three hours, we slowly got closer to the front door. To keep myself entertained during the wait, I did some stretches and then began dancing to some of the songs on my MP3, knowing that once I got into the building, I probably wouldn’t have much time to warm up.

            We finally entered the building at two o’clock. The women at the registration desk were irritated and tired so they told us to sign our names quickly, get the number, and then get out of their sight.

            I stared down at the piece of paper I was given. The number printed was 1967 and in the top right hand corner, there was a letter E written in. There were probably around one hundred people still outside, which meant that over two thousand people were here. To even have a chance of getting chosen over even one hundred people, I have to give this my all and hope for the best.

            After an announcement was given over a loudspeaker, all of us in the lobby were instructed to double check which letter was on the paper with our number. The letter determined which of the five groups you were put in and the place you would be going through the first cut.

            “Yun, what group are you in?” Yunji asked nervously.

            “E,” I replied.

            “No! I’m in group C,” Yunji wailed.

            “All girls in group E please meet at the elevator,” A woman announced over the loudspeaker shortly after.

            “Good luck,” I said to Yunji as I squeezed her shoulder slightly.  

            “You too,” Yunji said as she waved goodbye, watching me depart with the other girls in group E.