Chapter 3

Third Time Is The Charm

Chapter 3: Yun-Ae’s POV

            “Yunnie!” Joy, my best friend out of all of the RaNia members, said happily as I walked into the dance studio.

            “Unnie, you guys are here early,” I said.

            “Manager oppa wanted us to come early,” She explained. “So we can get more practice done,”

            “Where is he?” I asked.

            “Manager oppa? He’s in his office I think,” She answered. “Why?”

            “No, it’s just that I usually see him in the dance studio before rehearsal,” I lied quickly. “Come on, let’s go warm up,”

            "Okay," Joy said slowly. 

            We ended up rehearsing Dr. Feel Good for a few hours and by the end of it, we were all exhausted. 

            The seven girls in the group and the other backup dancers were sitting in their own little groups in the corners of the practice room, fanning themselves and complaining about the heat. 

             I, on the other hand, was lying on my back in the middle of the dance studio, enjoying the coolness of the floor as I was drinking water and staring up at the ceiling. 

            “Yunnie. Come on, let's go eat together," Joy unnie laughed as she towered over me.  

            “Sure. We'll go soon," I nodded as she helped pull me up. "I just need to go do something quickly,"

            “Where are you going?” She asked with a puzzled expression on her face. 

            I ignored her question and went off to go find RaNia’s manager who was, like Joy unnie had said earlier, in his office.

            “Yun-Ae,” He said, with somewhat of a surprised look on his face.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” I said, bowing to him.

            “What brings you here?” He inquired as he crossed his arms over his chest. 

            “May I ask you something?” I asked.

            “Sure,” He said as he packed his laptop up.

            “Um...about Saturday," I started. "I don't think I can make it to Inkigayo,"

            "You too?" He sighed. 

            I knew he wasn't going to be happy about this. 

            "I'm sorry," I said quietly.

            "It's not just you," He explained as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "The other girls have been telling me the same thing for the past week. What's going on? An audition?"

            "Yes," I answered slowly.

            "Well, I guess I can go talk to the Inkigayo PD and try to arrange something. But I'm not making any promises," He said. "If you don't get a call from me in between now and Friday night, you have to come on Saturday,"  

            "Thank you,” I said gratefully, bowing at a full 90 degrees and holding it for a few seconds.

            “You should probably start heading home now, it's getting late,” He said. 

            “Thank you. Good night," I bowed again before running off to find Joy unnie. 

            “So what were you doing earlier?” Joy interrogated once we had been seated at a ddukbokki shop. 

            “I was talking to your manager about Saturday," I said. "I have an audition that conflicts with the Inkigayo performance,"

            "Oh, the one for Brand New Stardom?" Joy asked.

            How did she know about this? 

            “You know, the other girls who do backup are also auditioning,” She replied as she took a sip of her water.

            “All five of them?” I gulped.

            “Yeah,” Joy unnie said. “Why didn’t you tell me you were auditioning?”

            “I only learned about this thing over breakfast this morning," I said.

            "Well, you still have the rest of the week to prepare," Joy unnie reminded me. "Not like you need the preparation time anyways. You're really good,"

            "Thanks," I said sheepishly.  

            “You're welcome," Joy unnie smiled. “But I wish you didn't have to go so soon. Who’s going to eat with me after rehearsals once this is all over?”

            “Here’s a crazy thought, why don’t you ask your group members?” I suggested.

            “It’s too awkward,” She pouted.

            "Still?" I asked. 

            "Yeah," She sighed. "I'm going to miss you so much," 

            "I'm giong to miss you too," I said sadly.

            "When you get the results of your audition, you have to call me," Joy unnie said. "And after all of this is over, let's eat together once in a while, okay?"

             "Alright unnie," I agreed as I locked my pinky with hers.