Up and Down

Two Idiots and a Loser

*This chapter is dedicated to Aifanana, whose encouraging comment picked me up and helped me write this chapter <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeonhee POV:

The day rolled about; my mind was blank, my attention span was failing utterly (per usual), and I had no idea what the cause was.
Oh wait. That was a lie, I did know.
Soonyoung seemed to be avoiding me. 
He made a few weird faces, or gave me a quick smile when I caught his eye, and we would chit chat every so often, but only if he came over for Jihoon.
In simple terms, he wasn't acting like his usual...
Well, idiotic self.
It was extremely disorienting, and I didn't like it at all. Despite this, I couldn't bring myself to talk to him first. Honestly speaking, after my revelation that I DID in fact like Soonyoung...I didn't know how to act around him.
And then there was Jihoon, who was a whole other problem. His actions, the way he could make me feel...like..
Is it possible to like two people at once? Isn't that like cheating?
I shook my head. No no..it's not cheating if they don't like you back, stupid. I hit myself on the head slightly. Duh.
Next to me, a chuckle filled my ears. Surprise, surprise, Jihoon was staring at me as he leaned back on his chair, arms crossed in amusement.
"You alright there?" he asked. Ignoring his question, I glanced around at the practically empty classroom. 
"Is..is class over?" I asked.
Jihoon glanced at his watch. "It's been over for a good 15 minutes, actually." 
I furrowed my eyebrows. "And you didn't bother saying anything to me?" 
He laughed. "In my defense, I actually did say something to you. You just ignored me," he leaned closer, observing me. "You've seriously been acting weird. Are you sure you're okay?" he asked again. I blinked a couple times. 
"No...no I don't think so." I bit my lip before picking up my bag and shoving my books into it. Luckily, Jihoon didn't bother interrogating any longer. I finished packing without another word. As I turned to leave, Jihoon gently grabbed my wrist. 
"Music club tomorrow. Don't forget."
I felt my heart beat faster. Crap. I pulled my wrist away from him so he wouldn't notice. "Yeah, okay."
With that, I rushed towards the door and as I reached to slide it open, someone else did it for me.
I was abruptly greeted, with a pair of broad shoulders, only three centimeters away from my face. It was none other than Soonyoung himself.
As I looked up at my friend's face, his widened eyes replied to the small amount of space between us. And of course that didn't help my heart either. I thought I would've passed out right then and there. 
The lack of space between us actually shouldn't have been anything new, as we had grown up together and Soonyoung was naturally a touchy person. However, after we stood like that for a few moments, my best friend since childhood did something I never expected.
He drew back. He pulled away.
It was a clear gesture that he did not want to be near me. My heart, which was beating at lightening speed only a few moments ago, suddenly dropped to the bottom of my stomach, I could feel myself getting dizzy from the feeling, as my eyes brimmed with tears.
Soonyoung's face gave me no assurance. No hint at what he was thinking. Instead, they seemed to be searching my face. No warmth, no usual smile existed.
In that moment, I did the only thing my mind could think about doing.
I ran.
Like a stupid, insecure girl, whose heart was in pain.
Like the loser I was.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Soonyoung POV:
Taken aback. That would be the words that described how I felt. I thought I was doing a great job at hiding my feelings. I thought I as doing so well to not interfere with Yeonhee and Jihoon's feelings. All of that fell apart in that one second. 
Although Yeonhee and I had been openly physical with each other, as skinship was just really normal for me, it felt so foreign in that moment. So when she almost ran into me, when I realized that I had to face her, I didn't want to ruin what I thought was going so well. And I physically showed my fear by pulling back from her.
I made her cry. I freaking made Yeonhee, who was tough as steel, who has only cried four times in her life, cry. 
And before I could even organize my thoughts and words, she ran. Like I was a monster she needed to get away from.
Silence was the only thing that remained. 
That and my roommate, who quietly stared at me. I glanced at Jihoon in response before grabbing my bag.
I had no words. I felt my own eyes filling with tears, in frustration.
Not wanting to show this to Jihoon, I headed out without another word. 
As soon as the door closed, I broke down.
Like a vulnerable child without his mom.
Like the idiot I was.
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Yeonhee POV:
My feet naturally carried me to the dorm. I had no desire to study, no desire to dance, not even a desire to see Miso.
The climb up to my room seemed longer than usual, as the unusual feeling of tears blinding my sight handicapped my ability to function.
When I did reach the room, I immediately peeled off my uniform, removed my contacts and pulled my hair up. Without a second thought, I climbed into my bed and curled up into a ball. 
Why would he, my best friend, do such a thing? I didn't know he had such a sense of revulsion towards me, and out of nowhere too.
I sighed. "Hormones. So dumb." I sniffed and wiped my eyes roughly. "There's no need to cry." I told myself as I pulled my blankets closer. 
"You just need to sleep it off." I continued to converse with myself as the fatigue that followed crying slowly lulled me to rest. "Who cares about what he says?"
Right before I finally fell asleep a little corner of my brain whispered softly. 
"You do."
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Soonyoung POV: 
I picked myself off the ground of the dance studio, as the last of the tears dried up. Ugh.
I was becoming more and more frustrated, as my ankle throbbed from the short run that brought me here.
Dancing usually helped me blow off steam, but there was nothing because of my injury. Even more upset at this fact, I huffed, kicking my bag with my good leg. Suddenly the door of the room opened. 
"Punch me." Jihoon said out of the blue as he tossed his bag to the side.
"What the, are you kidding me dude?"
"Don't think. Just do it." he gestured for me to come forward. 
"Jihoon, you know I can't do it. I can't hurt you too."
"I need you to do it, Soonyoung. It's bothering me too. Just..please. I'm asking you to do a favor."
"What are you even saying?" I scoffed, crossing my arms. "Dude, explain what the heck your logic is."
"You don't need to hide it Soonyoung. Hiding it only makes it more obvious."
I raised an eyebrow. "Wha-what?" 
Jihoon groaned before coming at me and throwing a punch. Right in the face.
"Punch me, gosh dang it!"
The impact hit me harder than expected, as I had no idea that my small friend had so much power. Triggered, I responded with the same action. As Jihoon stumbled from the blow, I grabbed his arm.
He exhaled deeply and shook his head. "Ugh, finally." he stretched out, patting my back. "That feels so much better." Jihoon smiled as if what just occured was the most normal thing ever before sitting onto the floor, with a content look on his face. "I could tell you were on the verge of exploding." 
I stared at my friend in disbelief. What. Is. This.
"Can you please explain what the heck is happening?" I asked before plopping next to him. Jihoon looked over at me.
"It's pretty clear that you like Yeonee, Soonyoung. If you're acting differently because of me, I suggest you stop." he nodded. I bit my lip. 
I had forgotten how attentive Jihoon was. 
"I was a bit unsure at first, but the way you were throughout today, and that little thing with Yeonhee made it clear. You're doing it for me." he sighed. "But you don't have to. You're my friend, and I don't want you sacrificing a lifelong friendship just because of me."
Jihoon ruffled his hair. "And as you have clearly assumed, I like her too. Yeonhee's her own person. If she likes someone that's that. So let's just be ourselves. A 'you do you' kind of thing?"
My insides curled a bit, as the sudden confrontation and truth came out, however I did understand Jihoon's words and respected them. I nodded.
"You're right."
"I know." Jihoon joked before shrugging. "Really though, It was about time this was addressed. You can't hide it forever."
"And neither can you." I shot back. He laughed. "True."
We sat in silence again until I let out another sigh. "But I made her cry Jihoon. What am I supposed to do?" I asked him. 
Jihoon tapped his lips. "Well, you'll have to apologize." he said. 
"Wow, I had no idea." I responded. He smiled before standing and extending his hand towards me. "Then let's figure out how you'll do that."
Grabbing his hand, I smiled back and realized how lucky I was that the other person who liked her was Jihoon.
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - -
a.n;
this was titled "up and down" because that's literally what happened here lolz.
shoutout to all the teenage angst inspired by my school. 
typical k-drama fist fight was included because why not.
But anyways! thank you all for being patient and lovely, I am honestly
so blessed that I have a wonderful group of subbies supporting 
Seventeen and this story! You guys rock my head so much <3
I hope this (sad) chapter was worth.
thank you again and see you all sooon~young ;D
have a blessed day!

p.s. this was written very late at night whilst listening to seventeen's new album so if some things are..weird. Just know that it's all thanks to those two things ^^