Retrieval Operation

When Two Worlds Collide

He was wiping one of the tables in the café when his mind wandered off. It had been a long day at work and Kibum was working a full shift so he could bring home enough money to get a good cake for his birthday tomorrow. He had been saving a month in advance so he could prepare a feast for his family, his estranged father included. It was supposed to be the other way around though. They should have been the ones preparing a party for him, but he couldn’t afford to have those selfish thoughts. Her mom was too sickly to work and he would rather have his grandmother stay at home than continue with her old work. His father was a different story, of course. Ever since he’d lost his job as an Executive Officer in a marketing company after a conspiracy against him, he had always gone home drunk, blabbering about how they were wrong to have let him go. Kibum never really hated his father. He was only mad at him because he chose the wrong output for his sorrow and his anger.  He only wished that his dad had done something else that helped him calm his anger. He just wanted his old dad. He missed him.

 

He hadn’t noticed that he was wiping the same table for the past 20 minutes until he heard the bell by the door ringing.

 

“Annyeo-“ he cut himself off. “Oh. Hey guys, what are you doing here?” he asked as he put the rag he was holding in a basket.

 

“We should actually be asking you that Bum.” Onew laughed. “The boys told me you weren’t in class today.”

 

“Oh. Yeah. I had to skip school today. I needed to work full time today.” Key replied as he wiped his hands on his apron.

 

“For what?” Minh raised a brow.

 

“You know…stuff.” Key answered lamely.

 

“What kind of ‘stuff’ is so important that you had to skip school to work, man?” Jonghyun laughed.

 

“Hmm. Hyung’s probably saving up for a date.” Taemin teased.

 

“Aniya. Geez man, I’m not interested in anyone right now. I don’t think I have any time.” Key laughed.

 

“Okay, that’s enough. I don’t think we should in too much into Key’s personal business. If he doesn’t want to share it, we shouldn’t force it out of him. Even if we are capable of doing that.” Onew smiled.

 

“So, did you guys come to see me?” Key asked, wagging his eyebrows. “Did I miss anything today?”

“No and Yes.” Minho laughed. “No we didn’t come here to see you, we came to see the tiles of the café and yes you did miss some stuff today.”

 

“Ha. Ha. Very funny Choi. So, what did  I miss today?” Key asked as he punched Minho’s shoulder playfully.

 

“We’ve got this long take-home quiz for Japanese class, which by the way Yoona and I finished during lunch. ” Taemin proudly replied.

 

“Damn. I guess I gotta call Soo tomorrow.” Key mumbled. “What are you guys doing here again?”

 

“We were looking for some place to get coffee and cake and we wanted to check up on you so yeah, we went here. Two birds with one stone.” Jonghyun chuckled.

 

“Coffee and cake? Are you guys forming a book club or something?” Key teased.

 

“Isn’t it supposed to be tea and crumpets?” Taemin asked as Key held in his laughter.

 

“Moving on, Taemin. We need coffee to stay up tonight when we go to the hospital and the cake’s for Sooyoung. She’s been nagging us to buy some for her for more than an hour now.” Onew answered.

 

“Hospital? Why? What’s up?” Key asked, his brows furrowing together.

 

“Oh, yeah. We weren’t able to contact you about that. Sooyoung noona’s in the hospital. She ate something bad and it’s probably just food poisoning again.” Minho shrugged.

 

“What?! Whoa. Okay. You should have told me sooner so I could have prepared the stuff you needed earlier. What coffee do you guys want? What cake does she want? Why didn’t you guys contact me?!” Key frantically asked as he took off his dirty apron and ran back to the kitchen, hopping over the counter.

 

“Because we don’t have your number!” Taemin laughed.

 

While Key was rushing to prepare the cake and coffee he didn’t notice the 4 boys huddled suspiciously in one corner of the café.

 

“Alright. So here’s the game plan, we take the coffee and the cake and we drag him along with us if he doesn’t offer to go with us himself. We head straight to Hyoyeon’s place and tell him that Hyo wants us to give Sooyoung something. Then we all go down but someone has to lag behind to get the cake out of the car. Jonghyun, you can do that part right?” Onew turned to Jonghyun as he nodded a silent yes. “Okay. When you get the cake out of the car, use the door near the garden and head to the kitchen.  I asked Taeyeon to look for a platter with a cover and some candles so she’ll be waiting for you there in the kitchen. After you light the candles up put it on the platter and cover it but not completely because the flame’s gonna die without air. We just need to hide the candle’s flame for a bit. Minho, Taemin and I are going to turn off the light bit by bit if there are too many then we’ll turn off the main lights when you’re ready. Just send us a group text, type it out now so you don’t have to panic later. When we turn off the lights, stand in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room behind the sofa. We’ll make him stand behind the sofa facing you, somehow. It isn’t 100% foolproof but it’s the best plan we’ve got. As for the gifts, we’ll just tell him that we’ll give it to him next time.” Onew finished, huffing.

 

“Hyung, why not just tell Sooyoung noona to get the cake in the car? That way Jonghyun hyung can help with the lights and it’ll be an even better surprise for Key hyung.” Taemin suggested.

 

“YOU. ARE. A. GENIUS. Okay, Jjong, change of plans. We all head inside at the same time and then Taemin, you hand the keys to Sooyoung because Key’s going to think you’re looking for Sunny. I’ll tell Taeyeon to hide Sooyoung in the kitchen with her.” Onew said.

 

“That’s to say she’s not in the kitchen already.” Minho laughed.

 

“So basically, our plan is, car-house-living room-lights-surprise?” Jonghyun awkwardly summarized.

 

“Yes, sort of. If you put it that way. We have to find a way to place him behind the sofa then make excuses to leave.” Onew replied.

 

“Dibs bathroom excuse.” Minho suddenly spoke up.

 

“I’ve already got one.” Taemin smirked.

 

“I’ll tell him I’m going to look for Taeyeon.” Onew shrugged.

 

“Crap. Then I’ll tell him that I have to get something in the car real quick. Whoever the last one is to stay with him, tell him to stay where he is.” Jonghyun ordered. “He’ll be confused why there’s a party so he’s probably going to cling to someone. Minho’ll go first, then me, then the two of you. He won’t go with Taemin because he’ll be looking for Sunny noona and he won’t go with Onew hyung because he’ll think that he’ll just end up third wheeling.”

 

“Alright. Seems like a pretty good plan. So-“

 

“YAH. What are you guys doing, still sitting there?! Let’s go, Sooyoung must be waiting!” Key shouted cutting off Onew. He had his bag slung over on just one shoulder while holding a plastic bag and a coffee carrier in one hand and another coffee carrier in the other.

 

“Wokayyy. Alright. Let’s go guys.” Taemin laughed as Key went out the door ahead of  them.

 

“He is soooo crushing on my noona.” Minho laughed. “He doesn’t even know where we parked.”

 

As soon as the 4 boys stepped out of the café, Key had nagged them for not telling him earlier that Sooyoung was in the hospital and for not telling him where the car was parked. After getting in the car, Key took all their phones and put his number in so they could contact him from that day on, swearing to them that he would bring his phone to work no matter how much he thought of it as a nuisance. The moment they caught sight of Hyoyeon’s house, they could hear loud music and a few other cars parked outside. To say that Key looked confused was an understatement. He looked completely lost when they got off the car and stepped into the house. Things got even worse for him when he realized that his supposed companions disappeared on him.

 

“Yah hyung, don’t leave me…here.” Key shouted as Onew disappeared in the crowd. “Yah where the hell is Minho and Jonghyun?!” he hissed under his breath when he realized that they were gone even before Taemin and Onew left.

 

It was a full-blown party at Hyoyeon’s house and it was getting pretty late, for hospital visits at least. There were a lot of people he didn’t know roaming around the house with those red plastic cups you see in movies with parties. He didn’t need to ask what they were drinking, he was pretty sure there was alcohol in it. He leaned on the back of the couch and observed the people around him, occasionally tiptoeing to see if he could spot anyone he knew. He saw Yunho, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and some other seniors playing a round of 21-cups beer pong. That wasn’t going to end well. He could feel it.

 

He looked at his wristwatch and noticed that his so called friends had been missing for almost half an hour and he was starting to get pissed, and not just pissed, diva pissed. They were taking so long that more than half of the people who were there had already left and by this time he knew majority of the people there. He was ready to pull out his phone to call them and scream at them when he remembered that he left his phone at home and he didn’t have their numbers.

 

“Aish. Shi-“ he hissed, stopping himself when he started noticing that the lights were turned lower and a lot of lights had been turned off.

 

“Party must be ending then.” He mumbled, taking another look at his watch. “Crap, it’s already 11?! No wonder everyone was leaving.” He sighed exasperatedly.” How am I –WE supposed to go to the hospital now?! I doubt the guards or the nurses are going to let us in.” he huffed.

 


“KIBUM-AH!” Yunho shouted spotting him and slinging his arm around his shoulders. He smelled like beer and he looked intoxicated, yet he still walked straight and spoke clearly. “Why didn’t you tell us you were coming? How long have you been standing here?”

 

“Well, actually, I didn’t really know about the party. Onew hyung and the others just had to drop by here to get some stuff before we were supposed to go to the hospital, but I doubt we’re going to be able to go anymore.” He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

 

“Hospital?” Yunho asked clueless as Eunhyuk and Sungmin approached them, both nodding at Key.

 

“You know, Sooyoung? Food Poisoning? Hospital? We’re supposed to stay overnight to guard her or something.” Key mumbled.

 

“Hospital? Sooyoung’s at the hospi-“ Eunhyuk was about to ask Key as Sungmin elbowed him.

 

“Yeah,” Sungmin widened his eyes at Eunhyuk. “She ate something bad again, I think. So she’s in the hospital again.” He said emphasizing the word hospital.

 

“Huh…Oh…OH YEAH. Definitely ate something bad again. DEFINITELY AT THE HOSPITAL.” Eunhyuk nodded vigorously as he winked at Sungmin.

 

KEY’S P.O.V

 

‘These guys are obviously drunk.’ He shook his head as he witnessed Eunhyuk winking at Sungmin. ‘DEFINITELY drunk.’

 

‘I gotta find out what hospital she’s in so I can head there first. Wouldn’t want that piggy to stay there without anyone beside her. Who knows what else she’d eat without supervision. I just have to make up a few excuses to tell her why I wasn’t in school and how I found out about her food poisoning. Then I’ll bring up the homework as an excuse to visit her and spend time with her.’ He chuckled after the idea popped into his head.

 

End P.O.V

 

“Hey, dude, you okay? You sure you didn’t dri-“ Sungmin stopped when the lights turned off.

 

“What the…Hyung, what’s happening?” Key asked into the darkness, getting no response.

 

Yunho dragged Eunhyuk and Sungmin a few feet away from Key and explained the surprise for Key, which he received via group sms from Onew. They tried to move to the kitchen before bumping into the beer pong table and spilling some excess beer on themselves before choosing to stay in one place to wait for the light of the candles.

 

“AISH. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.” Key hissed. “I DON’T EVEN HAVE MY PHONE FOR A LI-“ He noticed a glow in the room and looked up.

 

Happy birthday to you,

 

‘Candles?’ he thought to himself as the familiar voice continued singing.

 

Happy birthday to you,

 

Isn’t that the cake from the café?’ he asked himself seeing the cake faintly in the darkness as other voices joined in.

 

Happy birthday dear DIVA

 

Diva? No way…’ his eyes widened, finally adjusting in the dark, just in time to see clearly who was holding the cake.

 

Happy birthday to you! Make a wish!

 

‘Sooyoung.’ He smiled as the lights again.

 

 


Hi hehehehe. Sorry it's been a while since I've last updated. School's been so brutal lately, I actually have 4 quizzes for Psych Stat tomorrow and 1 tentative quiz for Socio&Anthro. Ugh. I soooo hate school, who doesn't though? I'm sure everyone has disliked school at least once in their lives =)) Anyway, I started writing over the weekend and yeah I've been writing this since Friday (I had like a 4 day weekend because of a holiday and class suspension) I can't believe it took me 4 days to write this though :)) But there you go, 2296 words of my imagination. I hope y'all enjoyed. If y'all are still there HAHA :c I found a fic with almost the same name as mine but with a totally different plotline, I think, and I started first and that fic now has more subs than mine. I'm sorta jelly because we have the same name so I was wishing for the same success but nah never mind, my readers right now are enough for me <3 Heck as long as one person is enjoying my story I'm happy <3 Okay, enough with the mumbling. Comment the couples you want to see next chapter! And an upvote wouldn't hurt, pwetty pwease :3 HAHA. I'd like to shamelessly plug my other fics but never mind, I won't force you to waste your time reading my other written works when you've already wasted your time reading this =))