Getting Comfortable

Run and Hide (Hiatus)

The next day the two girls headed to the local market around noon. But on their way there they had to take the long way to the other side of the building because of a road block.

Sammy noticed a lot of equipment on the streets as they walked down it.

“It’s a music video shoot.” Seunghee announced as they turned a corner and even more equipment was there.

“Really?”

“Yeah, that’s probably the people Eunmi had to work on this morning.” Seunghee shrugged.

Sammy looked back to see a group of guys huddled in a corner. They looked like to be the group Seunghee was talking about earlier because they were all dressed and styled perfectly. Sammy could tell that they were extremely good looking too.

“What are you looking at?” Seunghee asked looking back also.

“I think I just seen that group.” she answered.

“Oh, okay well stop ogling and let’s go shopping.” Seunghee laughed.

Sammy blushed and walked along side Seunghee to the market.

It was pretty packed in the store and it seemed to be a lot of young girls too. Seunghee rolled her eyes at them and tried to move around them but Sammy could tell she was getting annoyed.

“Why are they all just standing here?” she finally asked.

“They’re trying to see the group that’s shooting over there.” Seunghee pointed behind her.

Sammy looked at the back door of the store and noticed all the cameras.

“Wow. I’ve never seen a music set like this before. It’s similar to a movie set.”

“You’ll get use to it. Idol groups are very popular these days and they shoot all over Seoul.” Seunghee announced throwing a big bag of rice in the cart, “And how do you know what a movie set looks like?” she teased.

“Oh you know I was in a few films while I was in Los Angeles.” she giggled helping her friend.

"Were you?" Seunghee played along, "Did you get to see Brad Pitt? Bradley Cooper?"

"Yes, every day." Sammy nodded.

Seunghee giggled, "Ok enough we need to hurry or we'll be late for work."

Sammy agreed and followed her friend around the store so she would know what to buy and what not to buy. When they got back to the apartment it was almost time to get to work.

“Sammy why did you come to Seoul?” Seunghee asked from her room.

Sammy was having a bowl of rice in the kitchen when she called.

“Umm I’ve been travelling a lot and I’ve never been east so I just decided to come here. I plan to go to Japan in a few months. Maybe a year.” she said truthfully.

Seunghee came out ready for work, “That’s cool. I wish I had the freedom to travel freely.”

“Why can’t you travel freely?” Sammy blurted out.

“Oh, umm it’s my dad. Ever since my mother passed he’s been all by himself and I’m the only child they had.” she shrugged.

“I’m sorry.” Sammy said not knowing what else to say.

“Why are you sorry?” she asked but when she looked at Sammy she knew she was trying to be kind, “But thank you anyways. I like it here. I don’t think I can even leave if I want to.” she smiled.

Sammy smiled, “I’ve only been here a day and it might take me a while to leave.”

Seunghee laughed, “Come on or we’ll be late.” she patted Sammy’s hands.

The two girls left and the whole walk there Sammy wished she wasn’t so innocent. Yes she had run away from home but what she had back in London was security. She left for freedom and even after leaving the safety of home she still had security. Those were to things that Seunghee seemed to have never felt.

Sammy didn’t know if she would get to Japan with these thoughts inside her head.

 

--

 

The next few weeks Sammy developed a regular routine.

Sammy liked everything about Seoul. She enjoyed going to work, the market, and every now and then they would go to the clubs. She loved living with Seunghee and she was getting to know Eunmi.

She knew her way around her area and hardly got lost. 

She’d been living with Seunghee for a month and a half now and there were no problems in their friendship.

Her job was great and they had enough to pay rent on time. Sammy never mentioned the actual amount of funds she had on her. Actually she never told Seunghee why she left London or why she never phoned home.

Seunghee never asked about her past and she liked that she never did. After finding out about Seunghee’s hardship she felt like if she told anything of her past that Seunghee would not be her friend anymore and Sammy didn’t want to ruin their friendship.

 

--

 

One day while Sammy was working a young man walked into the store and he sat himself down. He noticed Sammy right way. It wasn’t the first time he seen her. He first saw her two weeks ago as he walked by on his way to work.

It was summer and the noodle store had their door open. It was her laugh that caught his attention.

She was talking to a group of elders and she smiled. In that one moment he knew then that he had to know her. So he came here every day since.  He never had the courage to walk in and order at first so he would just slowly walk by and stare at her.

But today he actually had the guts to walk in.

Today she had her hair pulled back into a ponytail and he noticed how delicate her neck was. She finally noticed him and she held up a finger telling him she would be a minute.

He nodded and waited patiently.

She walked to the back to place an order then came over to him. He could feel his palms getting sweaty and his throat clogging up.

“Hello, how can I help you?” she greeted.

He blinked at her and her voice sounded so sweet. It was so warm and kind. When she looked at him expectantly he knew he was just staring.

“Ahh yes, Just a bowl of your special noodles please.” he asked.

She nodded, “Anything to drink sir?”

“Just water.” he nodded.

She smiled then left then quickly returned with water.

“Sammy, order.” the older man in the kitchen called out.

She turned around. “Yes, Mr. Shin.”

Sammy, that was her name, Sammy he smiled. He finally knew her name.